Holiday help please

(30 Posts)

Agh. We still haven't booked this year's holiday, other than a few days in London. No idea where to go and it has to be in the first week of August, which will restrict us somewhat price-wise too. The dds count as adults now, which again puts costs up.

Any ideas please? No more than £2000 absolute tops. Ideally somewhere with a self catering apartment, a pool would be nice, cultural places to look at, not too many people. It doesn't have to be hot, hot, hot but it must be dry!

Thank you.

TantieTowie Tue 30-Apr-13 19:29:15

PS It was about 30 degrees, last week in July/early August (were there for Olympics opening ceremony). But then it was hot here too that week...

TantieTowie Tue 30-Apr-13 19:21:09

We went to Berlin last summer with DC 1 and 5, and thinking about going back this year, possibly also to Poland. We stayed in a self-catering apartment in the suburbs for a week, and then took the overnight train to Denmark for four days. We went to Berlin Zoo, did a bike tour, went to the municipal beach on a lake (Strandbad?), Museum Island, crazy art golf on the runway of former Tempelhof airport. In Copenhagen went to Tivoli Gardens, art gallery in the countryside on the train, and general wandering. Was great but Berlin definitely better for us. Spent about £2k all in.

sofi0308 Thu 25-Apr-13 17:52:06

i hope mine will still want to holiday with me when they are 18 and 16, have you decided yet?

Forgot to say flights including luggage (4 cases and hand luggage) less than £200 each for 16 days in august thats good I think.

We're going to Gran Canaria (Canary Islands) 4 seats as DC are both over 2yrs. Used Skyscanner fir flights ss previous poster recommended. I found norweigan airlines to be incredibly cheap and they give you free wifi on board.

janek Mon 15-Apr-13 18:38:39

I imagine so. We're going to stay in town and get the train/u-bahn/s-bahn/bus to lakes and the like for summer fun.

Thank you. I'm tempted. The overnight train sounds fun! Am assuming there are trains from Berlin to possibly quieter/more 'holiday-esque' places too?

janek Mon 15-Apr-13 12:26:53

Okay, this is what the guidebook says:

Berlin has a continental climate which generally translates into scorching summers and freezing winters, although in recent years global warming has turned such time-tested rules on their heads.

Brilliant. I'm really excited!

janek Mon 15-Apr-13 12:21:32

I think so. That is certainly the basic premise of our holiday. Dp went for a stag do at the start of august a few years ago and it was really hot. That may have been a heatwave, but i think it was pretty normal. I'm fairly sure poland gets hot summers and berlin is very close to poland.

And our children will be 7 and 4, so far less suited to 'city breaks' than yours. And we're going on the overnight train - fun for all the family!

Thanks Janek. Is it likely to be warm/dry then?

janek Sun 14-Apr-13 18:58:53

We're goinf to berlin this year. Hoping for some swimming-in-a-lake action. And some pretending-to-be-german. We loved it when we went for five days in feb. what's not to like about it actually being warm enough?!?

Oh they will be 18 and 16.

Dp and dd2 not v fond of beach holidays. Poland looks pretty and has history. Berlin = art.

Been to (and liked) Prague.

Como looks excellent and Daylan looks nice (but dp and dd2 would probably not like it) as I imagine it would be v hot in August (that's why they've ruled out Greece).

LadyMountbatten Sat 13-Apr-13 10:33:18
LadyMountbatten Sat 13-Apr-13 10:31:39

i would say Turkey Remus maybe Fly to dalaman and get a house in Dalyan - you can travel along the river. THats what we are doing - dm if you want to know more

Portofino Sat 13-Apr-13 09:08:20

Skyscanner is showing flights at under £150 from Birmingham to Milan Bergamo. You could then get to Lake Como with public transport. Easy to get about by boat then. Como is stunning.

Portofino Sat 13-Apr-13 08:52:16

Prague or Barcelona? I would say Nice or it's environs but that will be heaving in August. And xpensive.

loulouppy Fri 12-Apr-13 23:46:44

how old how many kids?
interested in what is the appeal of poland ? berlin for art and bars and city chic but not with kids?
with kids i always jsut hit the beach in summer and then maybe a city break in winter, am i missing something?

Would like to fly from Birmingham.

YouYoniLiveTwice Fri 12-Apr-13 20:28:14

Malta? Lots to look at and good bus service. You could also get the ferry across to Gozo.

LadyMountbatten Fri 12-Apr-13 20:20:02

It's flights that cost.

landofsoapandyoni Fri 12-Apr-13 20:19:01

We're going to Majorca. We're only going to sit in the sun, and are staying in Cala D'Or again. Majorca has loads of places to look around, I just can't be bothered this year.

I don't know where you live, but we've booked with Jet2holidays, it was nearly £800 cheaper than the same hotel with Thomson, and it is better flight times, they don't fly from every airport though.

We're still wanting to go to Poland or Berlin, but not sure if a city might be horrible in the summer.

Thanks both. We don't drive so need to be somewhere that has lots to see in itself or good public transport.

MildredH Fri 12-Apr-13 09:59:13

Majorca? Lots of pretty places away from the Palmanova/Magaluf madness..

Easy to get around, great weather, friendly people..

We usually stay at Port de Soller on the West coast. Some fancy hotels but I think there are s/c options..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now