Holiday destination with toddler and baby ( 2.5yo and 8mo).

(9 Posts)
sofi0308 Sat 04-May-13 21:59:26

easy peasy go to caserio del mirador. perfect for your age kiddies, easy flights to alicante or valencia, beaches, pool, food, toys, other kids, no brainer.

jkklpu Sat 27-Apr-13 21:12:02

What time of year? If it's July/August, don't go anywhere that will be too hot. Tuscany is gorgeous but can be 35C or more, which will mean you'd be in the house all day with the baby as too hot for him/her. How about self-catering in the Loire, somewhere with a pool? Lots of chateaux to visit for your elder child to run around and exhaust him/herself.

JillJ72 Thu 18-Apr-13 20:39:35

We've booked an agriturismo stay in Italy, going via booking.com and cross-referencing with Tripadvisor. There are lovely villas in Tuscany, quite a lot have a shared pool. The place we've booked will have 20 people (+babies) when all rooms are booked, so like a gite style holiday in France. We are finishing with two days on the coast, a b&b with pool.

There are options, and plenty of choice, but if you decide on being closer to the coast, try for a pool at the property as Italy moves to the beach during the height of summer! And book early!!

WallyBantersYoniBox Thu 18-Apr-13 14:46:38

I would read the Villa Pia reviews on trip advisor thoroughly, there are many mixed feelings from parents who want independence and not to live in others pockets IYSWIM.

I looked at it, but the lack of privacy for me was really off putting. We aren't the kind of family that need other people to provide entertainment for us so privacy was key, and eating around the kitchen table, school dinner style with the same people every evening wasn't our idea of a relaxing time!

Tuscany has a coast line, you can still enjoy the Tuscan area and the beach in the area near Pisa and Lucca.

Munchkinsmama Thu 18-Apr-13 09:06:00

thanks for the suggestions, villa is a good idea, we almost did a villa last year but were a bit late getting organised so all the best (and reasonably priced) places were booked. I've read quite a few suggestions of Villa Pia so will check it out. I've only really read posts on these threads, not actual travel reviews on here....tbh not looked so didn't know they existed. will look.

I've seen reviews for Tresco, which looks and sounds amazing, but most of the villa are for 8+ and we are just a family of 2+2. So a bit to big. (or at least they work out expensive for just us, the space is obi not a problem!!) Has anyone been to Tresco?

loulouppy Sat 13-Apr-13 23:02:38

check out the travel reviews, caserio del mirador might be perfect for your age kids, trouble with private villa is it can be a bit lonesome. tuscany too far from the sea. or babyboltholes has a few good french places if you want to risk french weather.

Ktay Sat 13-Apr-13 18:56:12

Villa pia is supposed to be lovely, although your DCs might get more from the outdoorsy stuff if they were a bit bigger. Like a ski chalet sort of arrangement but in the sun.

Have you looked at the travel reviews on here for inspiration?

WallyBantersJunkBox Thu 11-Apr-13 09:34:32

If you're not looking for a break with a kids club for respite, how about a self catering villa with a private pool?

I wouldn't go back to long hotel/package holidays now. I like a private pool and no cleaners banging on the doors if I want a lie in, no race for a lounger in a shady/sunny spot and putting up with overpowering hotel guests. Also no stress that my son is disturbing other guests. grin

All-inclusive seems to be everywhere and I don't like feeling like I have to be at a certain place for a certain time to eat when I am on holiday relaxing. We aren't big drinkers anyway so it's not really a pull for us.

DS only eats a bowl of cereal for breakfast and in the heat he mainly lives on fruit, salad and sanwiches so it's a waste of money to pay for meals in a nice hotel when you can just get a small shop in to cover him for the week.

Ownersdirect.co.uk have some great properties around Tuscany?

Munchkinsmama Wed 10-Apr-13 22:18:33

Looking for inspiration for a holiday abroad that is suitable for a 2.5yo and 8mo. For next year actually, planning ahead. We went to Portugal last year, with ds who was 7mo and it was great, but as he was so young it was largely a relaxing holiday. Ds will be 2.5 by the time we go next year and i'm thinking we'll need/want more to do.

I like the idea of Italy, and would rather avoid package holidays with kids clubs. But i'm completely open to suggestions, i'm not used to looking for holidays with babies, so am used to busy long haul trips.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now