Romania - has anyone been?

(5 Posts)
ZZZenagain Tue 09-Apr-13 10:17:34

Can anyone talk to me about travelling in Romania? In particular, I am concerned about how safe it is and about assessing medical intervention, if needed and the quality of it. Looking at Transylvannia and the Danube Delta.

ZZZenagain Tue 09-Apr-13 10:18:33

oops forgot: also wanted to ask about languages. I don't speak any Romanian. Do younger people tend to understand English - or French/German/Italian/Spanish? I could get by in any of those.

londoniana75 Tue 07-May-13 17:48:48

Hi, Romania is pretty safe for travel. It's got low crime levels. The only place I would be very careful with is Bucharest, just because of pickpocketers (like in any other big city in Europe, you have to be careful). Otherwise it's very safe. You could use public transportation in cities and trains around the country - again it's safe. Or rent a car...

This book http://kingofromania.com/the-complete-insiders-guide-to-romania/ has a wealth of information on traveling to Romania from an American who lives there. It's worth the £7.... you can find info about pretty much everything from healthcare to changing money or using public transportation. And it's fairly recent information.

And yes you should expect a lot of people to speak English (and/or French and even some German - especially in Transylvania).

Transylvania and Danube Delta are fantastic. Enjoy!

dopeysheep Tue 07-May-13 17:58:57

Went to Transylvania last year it was beautiful and v friendly and safe. Travelled with my teenage dd we loved it. Particularly Betty's ice cream for 20p a cone. We stayed in Brasov in a room in a lovely house run by a man called Eugene and his mother. They were super helpful and it was much more personal than a hotel.
Got the bus to Bran Castle, and went to a festival which was amazing.
Bucharest looked quite grim but we just got the train straight out.

forevergreek Tue 07-May-13 18:04:38

I have worked as lived there for a few years, there's nice parts but on the whole I would think its pretty grim as a holiday destination!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now