How much spending money for Costa Del Sol?

(16 Posts)
nellyjelly Sun 07-Apr-13 08:08:09

Haven't been abroad with the children before . Having a week self catering nr Alicante in June. We are not extravagent. Plan on a mix of eating in and out so will need to shop while there. Will probably spend most of our time n the beach or by pool.

Any ideas? Some people take up to a grand!

nellyjelly Sun 07-Apr-13 13:18:31

No one? Really? A vague idea of daily budget for a family of 4 would give me a rough guide. Thanks.

loulouppy Sun 07-Apr-13 15:29:07

near alicante is costa blanca not sol btw.. and you dont have to take any, you could just get out 300 euros at a time from the cash machine, put a bit on the card, a meal out will prob run up to 100 euros in a nice place with booze, but you prob wont do that every day, groceries for a week should be about 100 euros but on hols its easy to buy other stuff like nutella and crisps and things you might not usually buy every day at home and then you are up to 200 euros. but booze is cheap. icecreams add up and kids puddings and soft drinks in a restaurant stack your bill up. if you have a day out at terra mitica or mundomar, theme parks etc then you get thru it faster. where are you staying?

Fluffy1234 Sun 07-Apr-13 16:37:00

I'd say 1000 euros would do it. Obviously you wouldn't have the expense of your normal big food shop, money for lunches or petrol etc you would have at home.

nellyjelly Sun 07-Apr-13 18:40:04

Thanks. Yes meant Costa Blanca.

Useful comments.

loulouppy Mon 08-Apr-13 07:22:29

and try not to eat right on the sea, same dishes available in little streets behind the sea for the same price, or in the little in land villages for half the price, although if you are in Javea, eat at Pizza Pepa, really good, good value, great service, very easy to have a rip off experience at the beach otherwise.

BellaVita Mon 08-Apr-13 07:25:19

I would say closer to 1500 euros.

loulouppy Mon 08-Apr-13 07:30:45

sorry meant for a lot less not same price! ie you pay for the view and get less good service on the sea.

nellyjelly Mon 08-Apr-13 08:10:24

£1500 euros? God that seems alot of money for a week. I think we may decide to eat in every night!

BellaVita Mon 08-Apr-13 09:46:32

We have just come back from Cyprus. A family of four. We were half board (don't usually do this). It is amazing how the drinks/coffees/cokes/ice creams add up.

We did eat out three times (but used our half board bit for lunch on those days).

We didn't watch what we spent as we like to enjoy ourselves, but it came to €1500.

nellyjelly Mon 08-Apr-13 14:00:37

Oh well. Will start saving...... Thanks.

Chickengirl Mon 08-Apr-13 15:47:39

We've just got back from there. We ate in mostly and spent most time at the beach or pool with ice creams for treats. We found food slightly cheaper than uk as long as you use larger supermarkets not convenience stores (much like here). There are lots of places serving good food on fixed price menus of the day for as little as 12euros each per adult. We were fine with 300euros although our children are preschool age so maybe more if yours are older and may want a bit more in the way of entertainment. It depends on how much you like to push the boat out when on holiday really.

BellaVita Mon 08-Apr-13 16:27:38

Ours are teenagers and unfortunately an ice cream is not a treat to them!
I don't like to cook on holiday.

sollie Tue 09-Apr-13 12:23:50

Back just a week and we were up in the hills 45 mins from Malaga. There the menu del dia varied from 7.50 euros pp to 10 euros pp for a good basic meal of starters, mains, dessert and glass freshly queezed orange juice or big glass wine. We found it incredibly cheap and the food really good although choice was limited. Nearer the coast we found Marbella for example the menu del dia was 12 euros, away from the promenade. The recession is really biting in Spain and if you look around, you will find excellent value.

Supersesame Tue 09-Apr-13 12:30:18

Just back from Costa del Sol, spent about 350 in my family of 3.
We ate out on about 4 days, ate in 4 days.
Breakfast and lunch out is far cheaper. We were trying not to spend too much and little kids enjoyed lunches out far more than evening dinners anyway.
We had a few tapas lunches which we very cheap, fun and my DC enjoyed the novelty of it. Bill usually came to about 15 euros including beer.
We had fab churros for brunch. (about 5 euros for all of us)
We cooked pasta or pizza most nights.
Taxis were very expensive so we used buses everywhere and had a blast.

nellyjelly Tue 09-Apr-13 13:52:25

Great. Was hoping someone had done things fairly cheaply. Thanks for the info ladies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now