Why is it so hard to find a villa with pool heating, wifi and tasteful decor in Menorca?!

(43 Posts)
adifferentwoman Sat 06-Apr-13 07:54:57

That's it really! Struggling to find a villa with all of the above for a holiday in May. Need pool heating to help DD with her swimming, wifi to keep DH happy and decent (modern-ish) furnishings / decor for me, (before I get slated here, I do understand that taste is personal and that some people really like authentic furnishings. I'm not judging just trying to find what I want!). Anyone have any ideas? Have already searched owners direct, holiday lettings etc...

weebarra Sat 06-Apr-13 07:58:56

Have you tried Villa Plus or Villa Parade?

rubyrubyruby Sat 06-Apr-13 08:01:29

It's the heated pool that you will struggle with I think.

PessimisticMissPiggy Sat 06-Apr-13 08:06:34

It's a small island and many people who own property don't let it out to people they don't know.

As for the wifi issue, I understand that only long established properties can have landlines. I know two families who built amazing homes there who don't have landlines because the telephone companies refuse to install due to them being newish builds.

When I go to Menorca I love being offline!
Take a dongle?

Why are you only considering Menorca, just out of interest?

Not that there's anything wrong with Menorca smile, but heated pools (and often wifi) tend to be found in places where the owners will try for a year round rental market, eg Canaries, Portugal. Menorca just doesn't have good enough winter weather, generally, for people to go there out of season, so it's not worth the investment. In summer it usually gets so hot that pool heating isn't required.

ForFoxsGlacierMints Sat 06-Apr-13 08:31:55
MisterUdagawa Sat 06-Apr-13 08:34:56

Simpson travel ?

SooticaTheWitchesCat Sat 06-Apr-13 13:31:34

I don't think you will find a heated pool many places, after all it is going to be hot there. We have never had a heated pool anywhere we have been on holiday and our girls are always happy to pay and swim.

LadyMountbatten Sat 06-Apr-13 13:55:08

go to a hotel instead?

ggirl Sat 06-Apr-13 13:56:47

ForFoxsGlacierMints has found you a nice one there

adifferentwoman Sat 06-Apr-13 19:15:19

Thanks for your help everyone! That one looks good ForFoxesGlacierMints but not sure about the location given other comments on Mumsnet?!? PessimisticMissPiggy - like the dongle idea. Sleepwhenidle - Menorca as we've done Pollensa in Majorca for the past 2 years and want somewhere different yet similar at the same time. Pools have been cold there at the same time of year!

rubyrubyruby Sun 07-Apr-13 07:11:48

You could also try a different part of Mallorca

I think Mallorca is similar in that its not necessarily somewhere people go for winter sun. We have stayed in places in Whitsun with unheated pools (Menorca, Mallorca, South of France) and the weather has been cooler than we hoped/expected, they have been pretty miserable weeks because it just is too cold to have fun in the pool, especially with small dc's as opposed to older ones. So I am with you, now we only book places with heated pools, so if the weather lets us down its not such a big deal, we can still play in the water every day. The best selection of villas with heated pools seem to be Lanzarote/Canaries and Portugal and some in Spain.

IMHO I think you may be disappointed by Menorca after Mallorca, it is much quieter and things are further apart, it's great if you want beautiful beaches and don't mind travelling a bit to get to them, but in terms of towns and things to go and visit, it has much less to offer than Mallorca. Just my opinion of course, but maybe consider somewhere else and see what's available?

AuntLucyInPeru Sun 07-Apr-13 07:48:14

There isn't one. We looked for days, eventually booked one in Mallorca for £2k for a week in Oct - and it was still shit. Abandoned it after one cold, miserable night, and ran to the new Jumeirah, which was excellent grin

Ouch Aunty grin

weebarra Sun 07-Apr-13 09:27:19

Not English so don't get Whitsun holidays but this is when we always went to Mallorca before DS1 started school. Weather's always been a bit dodgy.
Although we went to Pollensa in October last year and after 1 wet day, temp averaged about 22° so not bad.
Only place we had a heated pool was Lanzarote but the heated pool didn't make up for the fact the place itself was a bit pants.

LadyMountbatten Sun 07-Apr-13 09:48:41

Lol at "Whitsun ". Who actually says that?!

LadyMountbatten Sun 07-Apr-13 09:50:16

We booked an ace place in France that had a heated pool. Amazing house. Plus you could drive. Just north of Bordeaux. (So better good than menorca)

LadyMountbatten Sun 07-Apr-13 09:51:05
weebarra Sun 07-Apr-13 09:57:01

Sorry! Thought that was what English people called your random half term that we don't get up here. Heard people refer to it as Whit week?

Most English people say Whitsun Lady, certainly more than say "better good" grin!

diabolo Sun 07-Apr-13 11:10:47

I know Menorca very well and can't say I know of a single villa with a heated pool.

I appreciate that's not helpful. Sorry.

LadyMountbatten Sun 07-Apr-13 11:14:03

Lol at better good. I meant food! Lol

magentastardust Mon 08-Apr-13 00:13:58

If the heated pool is really important somewhere like Portugal where there are lots of golf resorts would probably be easier. The villa complexes tend to have heated indoor pools as well as the individual villa outdoor pools.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now