Where to take DS(8) in Europe for a few days in October?

(18 Posts)
Maryz Mon 25-Mar-13 23:39:31

I would also say Rome - lots to do, relevant history as a bonus, and pretty good weather even in October.

You could also do Venice or Florence/Pisa, but they aren't so interesting for an 8 year old.

If you just want sun, try Lanzarote - sea and sun, and you could do an island volcano trip just to pretend you are doing something more than lying in the sun.

we stayed in Rome for three nights in Oct term in 2011 with children aged 11 9 and 4. There are two airports - I think we flew from Luton with Easyjet. We rented an apartment just off the Piazza Navona through holidayvelvet. The kids had a great time - we hopped on and off the tourist bus and were really lucky with the weather - it was around 21 degrees. We paid extra for a guide around the Colosseum - really brought it to life for my 9yr old DS.

WetWeekend Mon 25-Mar-13 20:58:46

I have always fancied somewhere like Dubrovnik. I will look into Palma too. Thank you.

Fluffy1234 Mon 25-Mar-13 17:49:41

Forgot to add Palma and Dubrovnik could be good destinations for you.

WetWeekend Mon 25-Mar-13 17:26:45

We've talked about going to Dublin a few times. I just think I need a bit of sunshine & am less likely to find that in Dublin than elsewhere.

Thanks for the info and suggestions, that's really helpful.

Fluffy1234 Mon 25-Mar-13 12:03:48

WetWeekend, in answer to your question about cruises there is absolutely loads for children to do on board. Swimming, clubs, quizzes, shows, cinema, sport and a lot of eating! I think cruises make great family holidays as you can do as little or as much as you like either all together or separately from the DC. I love sightseeing so it means you can visit a new place nearly each day. I'm not sure how warm it would be on the ship within a 4 hour flight from u.k in October but think it would be a good temperature for sightseeing.

CestTout Mon 25-Mar-13 10:04:35

Also how about Ireland? Dublin has loads to see and do.

CestTout Mon 25-Mar-13 10:04:13

I've been to Bologna and the Algarve in October half term. Algarve was actually really nice. Low twenties and we hired a car and spent a day in Lisbon. Bologna/Florence was lovely. Quite a bit to do in both and only an hour or so by train between the two.

JudithIscariot Mon 25-Mar-13 09:26:46

Nice is lovely. You might be lucky with the weather. We sat on Villefranche beach on the 1st November one year. Museums, tourist train up castle hill, where there are great views and a huge playground. The old town around the Cours Saleya is gorgeous. Easy to do day trips by train or bus. Monte Carlo, Antibes etc.

givemeaclue Mon 25-Mar-13 08:28:46

I wouldn't go Algarve in October

givemeaclue Mon 25-Mar-13 08:28:16

Weather in Europe not pool weather in Octbut could still do sightseeing.or go Greece, Turkey,canary islands if you want Sun

notcitrus Sun 24-Mar-13 23:33:16

Venice would be lovely and can go watch glassmaking, go on boats, loads of dramatic historical bits.

WetWeekend Sun 24-Mar-13 21:58:43

Any other suggestions? My local airports don't seem to fly to many places in October. I've been looking at the Algarve but I have no idea what it is like at that time of year. Or what there is to do other than the beach. It's a long time since I went there.

WetWeekend Sun 24-Mar-13 21:06:29

Oh, that's good news! I've never been to Rome so that seems like a sensible plan. And Pompeii - I'd never even considered that. Thank you.

DewDr0p Sun 24-Mar-13 21:00:55

Ooh sorry! I've been to Rome in October and the weather was very pleasant. I'd also love to take my dcs to see Pompeii/Herculaneum/Vesuvius.

WetWeekend Sun 24-Mar-13 20:27:31

Thanks Dewdr0p... I went to Barcelona for my honeymoon with DS's father so it would feel a bit odd going with DS when I'm not with his Dad any more. Rome was somewhere I was thinking of though. I don't know what the weather is like in October.

Having googled, I wondered about a cruise but have no idea what there is for children to do on a cruise.

DewDr0p Sun 24-Mar-13 19:48:19

Barcelona or Rome would get my vote.

We did Barcelona last year with our 3 and we all had a brilliant time. So much to see and do which is interesting for adults and children at the same time.

WetWeekend Sun 24-Mar-13 19:47:12

I want to take DS away for a break. We often spend 3-4 days in London & have also been to Cyprus & Disneyland Paris. I'd like to take him somewhere interesting for a few days - either somewhere warm with a pool or a city with lots of things to do. Ideally only a couple of hours away but definitely no further than 4 hrs. Any suggestions?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now