Need some ideas for a driving holiday around Europe

(28 Posts)
ThePavlovianCat Thu 21-Mar-13 15:54:22

My DH and I have decided to have an extended family holiday this year with our (will be then 10mo) baby before I go back to work and before he takes over as primary carer for a month. It will be for 3-4 weeks in August and we are thinking of driving across parts of Europe, getting the ferry to either Spain or France (or somewhere else convenient).

Bearing in mind we will have a 10mo, where would you go and what would you do? Looking for ideas for places to stay, things to do, local festivals etc Eg I know there's a medieval festival in Bayeaux but that's at the start of July.

Laquila Sat 27-Apr-13 21:37:02

I'm a big fan of the Italian Lakes, particularly Garda, Idro and Iseo, but I do think it'll be uncomfortably hot there in August with a 10mo. Having said that, it was the night-time temps that got me (whilst camping) and if you're in air-con hotels rooms it might not be so much of an issue.

The Switzerland itineraries sound absolutely gorgeous. Jealous!

Mondrian Sat 27-Apr-13 23:59:24

If you do head Lugano way, make sure you stay at least one night at Hotel Stella D'Italia which is on the banks of Lake Lugano, just over the Italian border. All of its guest rooms feature balconies or terrace with beautiful lake & mountain views, breakfast is served in the courtyard by the lake under vine leaves .... Bliss.

zazas Mon 29-Apr-13 19:07:41

Thank you for your replies - just got back on-line! Scoul is in the far east/south near the Swiss National Park - bordering with Austria and Switzerland. A beautiful wee town that I spent a summer in one year and would love to share with the children. Now thinking about Italian Lakes - not thinking we will have enough time on this trip and we have to visit to Wengen as promised friends we would see them!

The pass sounds interesting - might check with the driver on that one!

Colmar/Riquewihr sound lovely - might now visit there or on way back - thanks for that!

Neuschwanstein castle is a must do - I had a poster on that on my wall from the age of 6 and it's a childhood dream smile Wank is open for a discussion - with boys aged 13 and 12 I am not sure how that will be perceived!!!

Mondrian - sounds like Heidelberg, through Freiburg is a good route, will check that out now. Italian Lakes next time unless the weather in Swiss Alps terrible!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now