Seeing Father Christmas in Lapland 2013

(20 Posts)
incywincyspideragain Fri 15-Mar-13 23:09:53

Did anyone go this Christmas? Any good recommendations?
Ideally we're hoping to go after Christmas - only Transun seems to offer this as a package but I made the mistake of looking on trip advisor hmm
and 2 (seperate) independant travel advisors today, told me that I couldn't organise a trip any other way except through a package deal...

k75 Sat 16-Mar-13 18:45:38

marking my place as I think also my yr....

Fluffy1234 Sun 17-Mar-13 09:09:03

Just out of interest why would you like to go after Christmas? Is it more for all the activities than to see Father Christmas?

Cantbelieveitsnotbutter Sun 17-Mar-13 09:16:00

I'm planning to go this year with Canterbury travel. They were recommended to me and look incredible

Groovee Sun 17-Mar-13 10:35:37

We went with first choice. Booked it through Royalties Gold.

incywincyspideragain Mon 18-Mar-13 22:27:30

fluffy after christmas just makes sense for us as its ds2's birthday week before christmas and everyone is pretty frazzled (and were sick this year) by the end of school term (ds's will be 7, just 6 smile and 4 at christmas next year - having just completed hiss first term at school) I want it to be a mini break not a mad rush and figured we'd have restful christmas and then head off for 3 day adventure, but definitely want to see Father Christmas to say thank you...

groovee how was first choice?

cantbelieve cantebury does look good, website says they also do lapland holidays - worth a ring to see if they can do something after Christmas

Anyone been with Transun?

MrsFooty Tue 19-Mar-13 19:47:02

We went with Crystal a few years back for a week and it was great, we even had free ski lessons every morning. Inghams also do it. Planning on going again in 2014, just waiting for the offers to appear before booking.

incywincyspideragain Tue 19-Mar-13 22:46:17

MsFooty did you see Father Christmas?

MrsFooty Wed 20-Mar-13 07:54:35

Yes we did, it was great, we stayed in Levi (Finnish - Lapland) and we did a 'Find Father Christmas excursion' .

We also took snowmobiles out to the ice hotel saw the Northern Lights from the plane amazing holiday.

WallyBantersJunkBox Wed 20-Mar-13 11:59:32

I organised my own trip to Rovaniemi and saved a fortune. Don't listen to them.

Booked flights with Finnair.
Booked a log cabin at the Santa Resort - (didn't use the Santa there but enjoyed the snow adventure park, reindeer rides etc)
Booked a private forest adventure and visit to Santa's secret underground workshop with Joulukka - it was amazing and the elf even comes to pick you up in her minibus.
Also booked a trip with them to enjoy the Northern lights tales around a campfire at night (with hot chocolate etc)

www.joulukka.com/en/the-secret-of-joulukka

WallyBantersJunkBox Wed 20-Mar-13 12:01:35

www.santaclausholidayvillage.fi/holiday-village/?utm_source=pajakyla&utm_medium=banner&utm_campaign=1

Our accommodation - loved having our own private sauna, it was so relaxing.

incywincyspideragain Wed 20-Mar-13 22:39:50

That looks brilliant but all sold out for the week after Christmas this year - I hope I haven't left it too late!

Anyone have any other suggestions on places to stay?

I think I need to find another travel advisor!

WallyBantersJunkBox Thu 21-Mar-13 12:37:47

There are plenty of hotels in Rovaniemi. Have a look on tripadvisor.co.uk.

Also the Finland tourist board website has a lot of hotels and trips advertised.

incywincyspideragain Thu 21-Mar-13 17:18:33

Trip advisor just worries me smile I don't think I've ever seen a good review for a place I can afford!
Thanks for Finnish tourist board idea

WallyBantersJunkBox Fri 22-Mar-13 09:34:16

I take the reviews with a pinch of salt - if there are hundreds saying the same thing fair enough, but if there is one really bad review then it's very likely a negative reviewer.

I look at the photos more tbh!

sunnyday123 Sat 23-Mar-13 17:35:13

Saariselka is very authentic - we went with thomsons but inams go after Xmas. It's amazing

sunnyday123 Sat 23-Mar-13 17:35:33

*inghams

incywincyspideragain Mon 25-Mar-13 22:09:20

great suggestions - really liking idea of Levi for 7 days with Inghams and booking trip to see Santa in the woods - would never have thought of ski holiday as we don't ski, works out so much cheaper than package smile

jo164 Wed 03-Apr-13 00:13:38

We did Lapland 2012. Booked flights to Kittila with Finnair, stayed in Best Western Snow White apartments in Levi which were lovely. Right in centre of village, 5 mins to supermarket, 2 mins to ski slopes. We stayed for a week, booked some ski lessons for children, went to see Santa, did reindeer sleigh rides, lots of sledging etc... The children also happily stayed in the creche run at 'kids land' for a couple of hours while we went skiing. We are going back easter 2014. Just remember though it is dark lot of the time and very cold in December so skiing is limited to about 2 hours at time, although they do have amazing huts with open fires in them over the mountain to keep warm!! Take a look at www.levi.fi lots of good info. We booked everything through the tourist info and ski school before we went, it was very easy and much much cheaper than a package deal.

Newforestpony Wed 03-Apr-13 00:19:23

Does anyone know if there is a Swedish version as I would like to combine it with a visit to friends in Stockholm.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now