Anyone been to Lefkada, Greece?

(8 Posts)
thecatsmothercompany Mon 11-Mar-13 12:08:48

We are looking at a stay-and-sail holiday in Greece for this summer. The first week would be in a hotel in Lefkada.
Anyone been to the island? How touristy/busy - or not - is it? The quieter/least developed, the better for us...

Thanks!

Scrazy Mon 11-Mar-13 12:27:10

Yes I have, but it's around 10 years ago now.

It wasn't very commercialized or overly busy when I went. It has a strip of shops and nice authentic tavernas on the sea front. If it hasn't changed it sounds like it would suit you.

It was my first trip to Greece and I was put off by all the stray cats which brushed against your legs whilst you were eating dinner in the open tavernas, not sure if that is typical of Greece or not.

I got bitten very badly by mosquito's there (I have an allergy). This was in June, which was very bad and hot the year we went.

janinlondon Mon 11-Mar-13 16:08:32

Yes - we've been to Lefkas four or five times now. And have also done a flotilla for a week out of Nidri. Nidri is the only part of Lefkas that is any way built up or busy. Has a fairly tacky main street, but the waterfront is behind that and much more pleasant. The rest of the island is still very much trad Greek.

specialsubject Mon 11-Mar-13 17:21:37

Lovely place - very green (rains a lot outside May-September) and still very traditional, but with enough tourism that it is easy.

stray cats and dogs always a problem in Greece - neutering is limited and they survive by begging in restaurants. Don't feed them.

JillJ72 Sat 16-Mar-13 17:39:52

We went 2 years ago for a week, our first experience of Greece. Adored it. Stayed in an Ionian Island Holidays villa (Villa Ostria). Aghios Nikitas very pretty, Lefkas Town nice for evening stroll and dinner. Inland very lush and mountainous, smells of rosemary and other wild herbs. Beaches on west coast pebbly but very pretty. Beach at Nidri very gentle and sandy too. Drove up into the mountains above Nidri to watch the sun rise over Meganissi - awesome experience.

We went during May half term and the people on the plane going out we're the same people coming back!

Would recommend it. We like off the beaten track and the not too touristy locations, and Lefkada delivered. Easy drive from airport too, and taking off to fly home is a little nod to Lefkada too.

JillJ72 Sat 16-Mar-13 17:40:55

[...] going out were

Oh yes 25 years ago we did a windsurfing holiday in Nidri. It was idyllic.

Thewhingingdefective Sat 06-Apr-13 22:47:13

Not very touristy. We stayed on Meganisi, the small island just a hop away.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now