West coast of Ireland family holiday - any recommendations?

(12 Posts)
SaladIsMyFriend Mon 11-Mar-13 10:34:13

I have now booked our flights and car, and am emailing b&bs, have decided to base ourselves near the Burren/Doolin area so we can visit caves/farm/cliffs/Aran Islands etc.

I am so excited now!!!

Thanks thanks

chipmonkey Mon 11-Mar-13 01:33:21

I think my aunt and uncle may have stayed in that place. Or a place very like it if it's not it. I remember my cousins feeding orphaned lambs with a bottle.

SaladIsMyFriend Sun 10-Mar-13 18:40:56

Ooh is this it chipmonkey? Looks perfect smile

SaladIsMyFriend Sun 10-Mar-13 18:39:29

I think the problem with this bit of Ireland is there is so much lovely stuff to do, it's impossible to choose just one area and stay put! Last time DH and I went we did a road trip and stayed somewhere different every night. DD though is not so keen on being in the car much so we want one base!

That link is lovely chipmonkey thank you, and will google the farm and dolphin watching thanks OnTheWhims.

chipmonkey Sat 09-Mar-13 20:40:11

Have a look here

OnTheWhimsOfLove Sat 09-Mar-13 20:18:33

When my DD was 3, we wne to a really lovely "petting farm" near Liscannor, County Clare. I think it was called "Moher Farm" or maybe "Moher House". I also love Fanore and Doolin. You can go dolphin watching from a boat from (forgive my spelling) Carrigoholt, near Spanish Point.

SaladIsMyFriend Sat 09-Mar-13 14:11:47

Thanks so much for the replies thanks

rootypig you've described the almost exact holiday DH and I had around 8 years ago grin It was amazing so we might well do that again.

DD actually wants to feed the animals on a farm, so will have to look up somewhere we can do that as well!

rootypig Fri 08-Mar-13 22:42:26

my family is Clare so the south side of Connemara and it's just beautiful, so I vote there. you will find beaches and farms aplenty all along the Burren - Fanore is a beautiful clean, quiet beach, Spanish Point is popular with families and good for little body boarders. You'll find cottages to rent a spit from the sea all up the coast there. Doolin and Lisdoonvarna are great little towns for music, pubs and friendly locals....Enistimon too. And get over to the Aran Islands if you can (ferry from Doolin). sights: Ailwee Caves, Cliffs of Moher, Poulnabroune. bon voyage!

ps there are cows, sheep, horses and dogs absolutely bloody everywhere, so DS will be in his element whether you stay on a farm or not.

Sharpkat Fri 08-Mar-13 22:12:09

Clifden in Connemara is stunning as is Dingle in Kerry. Both touristy so I would stay nearby. Cannot recommend anywhere to stay as have family in both. Two of my favourite places in the world and have travelled extensively.

PhyllisDoris Fri 08-Mar-13 22:08:51

Just don't get cajoled into doing the ring of Kerry. It's pretty, sure enough, but goes on and on and on. And it will be raining.

cheerup Fri 08-Mar-13 22:06:42

It is a beautiful area. Westport is a really nice town to visit. I've been twice - once with our 8 month old daughter, stayed in a rented cottage near the beach at the bottom of Crough Patrick mountain. Very scenic but somewhat lost on me at the time as a very frazzled sleep deprived new mum. Also, about 10 years ago I went alone and stayed at Delphi Mountain Resort. It was a brilliant experience - spa and sea kayaking down Ireland's only fjord. Looking at their website they do family holidays now with a Young Adventurers Club for 4-7 year olds.

SaladIsMyFriend Wed 06-Mar-13 17:27:37

Hi, we'd like to go to Ireland this year, probably in late August - me, DH, and DD (age 5).

Ideally we'd like to go somewhere near the west coast, in Clare or Galway (as we have ancestors from both), with lovely scenery, a beach nearby if possible, some local interest (castles etc.), and even better it would be great to stay on or near a farm as DD absolutely loves animals.

I don't even know where to start looking!

Has anyone got any recommendations - where to base ourselves, where to stay, anything?

Many thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now