Best mosquito deterrant?

(12 Posts)
ujjayi Tue 05-Mar-13 23:14:02

Boots do a fantastic natural repellant. It's in a pale yellow bottle. Fine to use with children too. I am an absolute mosquito magnet and yet rarely get bitten with this stuff on.

Please do not put neat citronella oil direct on to a child's skin. Essential oils should rarely be used neat particularly on children's skin.

diabolo Fri 01-Mar-13 17:45:03

I forgot to mention the plug-inn. They really work in our bedrooms, but remember to keep doors and windows closed once you've turned them on.

I usually switch them on about 6pm, so that the room is clear by bedtime.

Bunbaker Thu 28-Feb-13 23:53:13

OH is a mozzy magnet. Not only that, when he gets bitten the bites always become infected so he spends a ridiculous amount of time covering himself with insect repellant. If he misses so much as a square inch he gets bitten on the place he missed. Nothing but products containing deet work for him, and he finds Jungle Formula to be pretty reliable.

Thanks for allthe advice! I have ordered a couple of plug ins for the hotel room and will pick up some vitamin B at the weekend in preparation. Will also order Mozzy off to use on DD. mummymeister apparently the hotel do offer mosquito nets if you request them so I will amke sure I do!

I've seen a deet spray for clothing thats supposed to work (has about 20% deet) and apparently is a deterrant, so will mull that one over.

I got eaten alive in Greece years ago so want to avoid the same with a toddler in tow!

mummymeister Wed 27-Feb-13 23:39:01

buy a net. i am like a mozzy magnet so have to have one. i also do the thing with garlic - double dose it - and no food or alcohol after 7pm/dusk. dont know why this works but it does. really dont like using any chemicals if at all possible but understand this might not be an option for you.

diabolo Wed 27-Feb-13 18:42:58

Take Vitamin B tablets for 6 weeks before you go. Odourless garlic capsules are good too - you need to make your blood as unattractive as possible to a Mozzie or other bugs.

Failing that the DEET works, although it gives me a dreadful headache. Put it on outside, rather than in your room.

specialsubject Wed 27-Feb-13 14:12:56

citronella works - for about 10 minutes.

Deet is the only reliable thing.

keely79 Wed 27-Feb-13 13:28:41

There is a product called "Mozzy Off" which is all natural oils and therefore safe to use on your toddler. Not sure I'd be happy putting strong deet on a small child.

You can get little plug ins that have a tab in them that burn during the night.

Avon Skin so Soft also works to deter the mozzies.

And loose, long sleeved and long trousers in the evenings.

PetiteRaleuse Wed 27-Feb-13 13:21:53

Citronella essential oil. You can use on your toddler too. Just dab a little on wrists and neck, like perfume in an old film, and you should be fine.

Thanks Fluffy

Fluffy1234 Wed 27-Feb-13 12:27:54

Anything with deet in it. We downloaded a mosquito app for the iPhone and found that really effective when in an a rainforest in South America. Plug in things for the room from Boots are also good. Lots of the resorts in Egypt do a massive spraying once a week, ive only been once but didn't find Mosquitos a problem there. Whatever spray you get do loads on wrists and ankles as mosquitos seem to love those areas.

Hi all, I going to Egypt in a few months time and have heard many people say it can be quite bad for mosquitoes.

Can anyone recommend any sprays/deterrants I can buy and take with me to keep them out of our room?

I ahve a toddler and would like to avoid her being bitten as much as I can!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now