October Half Term - Lanzarote or Fuerteventura

(16 Posts)

Want good weather, sandy beaches with safe bathing, minimum wind and preferably somewhere with things to see/do.

Any suggestions?

Roseformeplease Thu 21-Feb-13 18:23:13

Lanzarote is lovely and relatively unspoiled by tower blocks. Keep away from Costa Teguise (package holiday hell) and any resorts too close to Arecife (airport noise) and you will have a great time. Lovely things to see and do. The North of the island is often much cloudier and windier but we were in the South West and it was great and we were there in October a few years ago with children aged 3 and 5. Car hire is a good idea.

EldonAve Thu 21-Feb-13 18:26:38

I prefer Lanza myself - Playa Blanca or Puerto del Carmen are nice

Fuerte good for watersports & wind but that's about it

maleview70 Sat 23-Feb-13 12:23:16

Playa blanca in lanzarote is lovely. The beach is great for kids, it has a decent little town with restaurants all facing the sea and a marina that has a twice weekly market. We have been 6 times and love it.

specialsubject Sat 23-Feb-13 17:57:57

check your Spanish dictionary for why Fuerteventura isn't for you. smile

Thanks for all your replies. That's pretty unequivocal! So, any hotel recommendations for Playa Blanca?

specialsubject I thought the literal translation of Fuerteventura is "good fortune"? Strong wind (which I think you're alluding to) would surely "fuerte viento"? Though my Spanish is quite patchy so I could be wrong!

We went to Fuerteventura early September last year and it was lovely, Caleta de Fuste was a lovely resort and it wasn't windy at all, just a light breeze which was nice in the heat.

nannyl Sun 10-Mar-13 15:59:35

just come back from Fueterventura

its lovely but IS windy..... lots of kites (for kite surfing) came out of the conveyer belt with the luggage.

It wasnt "too" windy though, but was certainly not calm! still warm and had fun on the sandy beaches, watching kite surfers

mothermirth Sun 10-Mar-13 17:41:36

Nannyl, how warm was it during your trip? (Going there in a couple of weeks and weather-checking obsessively smile)

TIA

nannyl Sun 10-Mar-13 17:58:52

it was low 20's

we had a storm for about 24 hours when it was more like 19

first thing in the morning and in the evening you will need a cardigen, but during the middle of the day in the sunshine get your high factor sun cream on and enjoy sunbathing.... nice and hot, but not too hot smile

we needed the air con (to keep our room a comfortable 19C on 5/7 nights we were there)

mothermirth Sun 10-Mar-13 18:18:10

Thank you for replying. I'm desperate for some sun, so that's good news. smile

hatsybatsy Mon 11-Mar-13 10:30:09

another vote for playa blanca here - fuerteventura is lovely (fab beaches and some nice small resorts) but the wind is a killer...

playa blanca has a huge selection of hotels and flats - we use the princesa yaiza but it can be pricey if you don't book when they have a sale. i'd recommend being somewhere near there though so that the beach is walkable and you are in between the marina and old town for when you want to go out. hth

Groovee Sun 17-Mar-13 10:38:54

Try the Rubicon Palace in Playa Blanca. Aimed at the spanish but plenty brits go and it wasn't too chavvy.

landofsoapandglory Sun 17-Mar-13 10:43:36

We went to Playa Blanca last year and hated it. It was like a slightly upmarket Blackpool. The restaurants were expensive and the food not that great, TBH. We stayed just outside the Rubicon Marinea which was much nicer than the town, but we won't ever be going back unless it is free.

We've been to the Old Town of Puerto Del Carmen before and that was better.

MsGee Sun 17-Mar-13 10:47:08

We stayed at natura palace in lanzarote which was lovely. Little safe beach nearby and lots of restaurants within walking distance but still quiet. 10 minute walk to the beach and 5 to nearest restaurants. Kids club and mini disco also v good.

RedNats5 Sat 13-Apr-13 09:44:30

We live playa blanca it can be windy but not that it would put you off. We stay in a villa but I know the resort very well if you want to ask specific questions? We go at least once a year (family villa)

There are also some absolutely fantastic restaurants. But I guess it helps if you know which ones to go. Can happily provide recommendations

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now