Spanish mainland - no long transfers?

(16 Posts)
Bellini12 Thu 21-Feb-13 14:09:56

We would like to get away for the May half term. We've been to the Balearics quite a lot but have never been to mainland Spain. The thing is we would like an 'easy holiday' I.e. short flight, short transfer (DD2 can get travel sick!), sandy child-friendly beach and some good, local restaurants.

I've looked up the different Costa's but am finding it a bit confusing as to how far away the resorts are from the airports. I also have no knowledge of the areas. Can anyone let enlighten me? Thanks.

calypso2008 Thu 21-Feb-13 14:16:42

Try Oliva/Gandia (the Costa d'Azahar) - this coast is midway between Alicante and Valencia airports. An hour tops to both so you have plenty of flight options. Unspoilt, not touristy and the best beaches and weather in Spain.

I live here so I know! smile

Ponders Thu 21-Feb-13 14:25:22

Costa del Sol gives you an easy transfer from Malaga to places like Nerja (E) & Marbella (W) - both under an hour. Lots of other resorts along that length of coast too.

The flight is further than calypso's though - 2 hours from Gatwick.

shrimponastick Thu 21-Feb-13 16:28:37

I also was going to say Costa Del Sol.

most recently I was staying in Torremolinos, with DH for a short break.

We took the train from the airport, very quick and easy (but we had no kids or luggage).

But it is only a short distance in a car too.

calypso2008 Thu 21-Feb-13 16:51:04

Costa del Sol is great but more touristy and much more expensive.

It totally depends on if you want a resort type holiday or to rent a private villa/pool traditional Spain type holiday. There is much to be said for both.

To rent a villa or house is much cheaper and they are often away from the more touristy resort places and you get the beautiful beaches and real Spain. If your children are little and you want kids clubs etc then somewhere like Torremolinos offers all this.

Spain in May is great wherever you go to be honest - it is the best weather then - not too hot but really warm!

Have a great time wherever you go. Either way if you fly to Murcia, Alicante, Malaga or Valencia, all that coast offers beautiful places all along it.

specialsubject Thu 21-Feb-13 21:38:01

it's been a while, but I loved Tossa de Mar on the Costa Brava. You may even hit Corpus Christi with the flower carpets on the streets.

Girona airport 45 minutes.

Bellini12 Fri 22-Feb-13 12:45:07

Thank you for your comments. We normally book a villa holiday but I've been looking at the prices and they are so expensive! About £1000! We've never paid that for a spring break.

We defo don't want anywhere too 'English' and good local food is important.

Is there anywhere about 30 mims drive from the airport? We would rather fly & flop!

We have 2 DC's under 6 and after our summer holiday where we had probs with the villa and very little out of hours support (no water or electricity for nearly 12 hours and no one to come to pur aid!) I would like some accommodation with access to an English speaking rep etc.

chatee Fri 22-Feb-13 12:53:48

Torremolinos or Benalmadena on the Costa del Sol , the Carihuela district near the hotel Pez Espada has some fantastic restaurants as does the marina at Benalmadena.

Alternatively, Nerja is slightly further transfer time but is located near to some pretty typical Spanish villages Frigiliana is one that had a lovely restaurant.Nerja is slightly less touristy than other places on the Costa del sol but it has some lovely apartments and fairly easy access to the beaches, but is a walk back up the hill if staying in the Capistrano area(easier with taxi/bus).

Enjoy....

calypso2008 Fri 22-Feb-13 18:16:07

I would look at owners direct and at a villa with owners who manage it themselves. The ones near me, near Valencia, are about 600 euros a week. We are thinking of going ourselves so we can have a pool/relax for a week and bring my family over!

Ponders Fri 22-Feb-13 20:36:07

we have rented with both Owners Direct & homeaway (formerly holiday-rentals)

we've been very happy with all of them, & all the owners have either been British, or been fluent in English, or had English-speaking agents smile

Bellini12 Mon 25-Feb-13 12:52:34

Thanks Ponders, I'll try those websites. I've had a quick look and there seems to be lots more options. I think I just had a bad villa experience last time and felt very unsupported.

Btw, I've had a preliminary look at flights and for half term they are £500+ per flight! This is extortionate! Do you think they may go down in price? This is more than we paid in August! If that is the case, who can afford to travel abroad anymore?

Ponders Mon 25-Feb-13 17:18:20

which airports & dates are you looking at, Bellini? I just found London area flights to Malaga for Sun 26/5 - Sun 2/6 from just under £300 - that's Stansted to Malaga. If you could do Mon-Mon it drops to just over £200.

moneysavingexpert flightchecker it doesn't cover all airlines but you can muck about with different airports/dates & it gives you an idea - best to book flights first & then look for accommodation

Bellini12 Wed 27-Feb-13 15:01:12

We live very close to Gatwick so it's a no-brainer to go from there. It appears my options are to fly Mon-Sun so we are not going the popular Sat-Sat although that then means we have to find accommodation on a daily rate as villa's are mainly Sat-Sat. Or I have found a flight to Valencia on the Sat which may too be an option.

It's unbelievable that to go a month earlier is almost half the price!

The search continues.....

Fluffy1234 Wed 27-Feb-13 15:19:43

I stayed at Coma Ruga which is a traditional Spanish seaside place. It was about a 45 minute drive from Barcelona.

Ponders Sun 03-Mar-13 11:45:59

it's always worth contacting owners of unbooked villas with your dates - easy to contact them via those websites, & they can be flexible, unlike eg cottages4you

if they're not booked the week after they might be able to squeeze you in; or even if they are you could ask for 5 nights Mon - Sat, & get a hotel overnight for the last night?

KenDoddsDadsDog Chile Sun 03-Mar-13 17:22:15

Nerja/Almuñecar are both lovely - great beaches but lots to do, see and eat

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now