Booked flights - when and where do I book a nice hotel cheap

(25 Posts)
Fluffy1234 Sat 16-Feb-13 08:22:51

I'm sure you'll find a lovely hotel Purple. Majorca is a great destination for a family holiday.

BackforGood Fri 15-Feb-13 19:58:09

Sorry - I hope my post didn't come across as critical, it wasn't meant to be at all. blush
I like a bargain myself, but am a bit nervous of the whole booking things separately thing, and was wondering how much of a saving I was missing out on, so the £2800 - £3400 plus flights, for 9 days, for 4 people seemed a bit high to me. We've only been abroad as a family a couple of times, but have done self catering, including flights, for 2 weeks in school hols, for £500 a head. Add in about £300 per head for food/drinks/icecreams, it was still making that look expensive.
However
All inclusive for £1457 plus flights at £850 = a MUCH better price smile

purple15 Fri 15-Feb-13 19:30:14

just seen a 3 * hotel, all inclusive in Cales de mallorca for £ 1457.

Thats it now, Im not going to look now for a while.

Thanks to everyone who contributed.

purple15 Fri 15-Feb-13 19:21:02

glad the flight prices seem good, I thought they were good too.

This is a big thing for us, a summer break abroad, we have been going to France and Cornwall for the last 15 years and the site fees for taking our own caravan this year is £850 so yes I thought the price was a good price.

I could do with just paying a deposit on a Hotel with the balance nearer the time, Ive already payed for the Flights this week.

theoriginalandbestrookie Fri 15-Feb-13 19:13:47

shock those flight prices are pretty good for that time of year

theoriginalandbestrookie Fri 15-Feb-13 19:13:18

It is usually still cheaper to book flights and accomodation separately. Purple you still have a bit of time to look, when I did searches there was 4 star accomodation available, or how about a nice appartment - you could still eat your meals out ?

mum47 Fri 15-Feb-13 19:06:45

I popped into our travel agents today to pick up some brochures, and was told that prices are not coming down any more if you leave it late to book, and that in fact it is now the opposite, prices are going up - apparently around now is a good time to book to get the right prices - she is somebody I know so not just saying that to persuade me to book. Don't quote me on that though smile

purple15 Fri 15-Feb-13 19:04:38

And I think I will have to be flexible. Get the Iberostar playa de muro, out of my mind and think a descent 3* at a bargain price.

purple15 Fri 15-Feb-13 19:03:23

The flights I booked because I wanted to go to my local airport (blackpool) with day time flights and parking. It was £850 from Tuesday the 23rd of July until Thursday the 1st August. I dont think this price is bad at all.

I thought I would book the flights, then wait until July to book the rooms. Now I cant stop looking for a Hotel.

Maybe I should of booked a package, but I will see how this one works out.

Fluffy1234 Fri 15-Feb-13 16:51:21

I think you can save a bit of money if you are mega flexible on accommodation but not if you want to go a particular place. The time you add on luggage, transfers etc the cost really bumps up doing it yourself.

BackforGood Fri 15-Feb-13 16:46:08

I'm not convinced you are saving money though, compared with what we were coming up with (packages) for 4 adults (2 of mine are teens) and an 11 yr old, for a fortnight, in school hols. How much are flights when booked separately like that?

theoriginalandbestrookie Fri 15-Feb-13 16:39:22

Oops sorry that changes it to a family room which is £3404 for the dates. I would look now, I don't think the prices will come down for July.

purple15 Fri 15-Feb-13 16:26:14

2 adults and 2 children (although their ages are 16 and 13) so may be classed as adults.

For some strange reason I cannot get on Iberostar website. Thankyou for all your help.

theoriginalandbestrookie Fri 15-Feb-13 16:23:58

How many children have you got and what type of room are you looking for? I have just checked the iberostar website and a room for 3 at the playa de muro comes out at £1831 for the 9 nights

purple15 Fri 15-Feb-13 16:16:22

Because I have been researching and the more I look the more I would like an Iberostar. With the one I like the best being Playa de muro, honestly.

I just wish I hadnt set my heart on a Iberostar.

Fluffy1234 Fri 15-Feb-13 16:06:55

Really low.
Most of Europe are on school holidays then. Why not do loads of research now. Travel republic have loads of 3 star all inclusive hotels for about £1300 and 4 star for approx £1600.

purple15 Fri 15-Feb-13 15:57:28

Omg what a good price. I need 9 night on the 23rd July. I know school holidays, high season and high price.

What do you think are my chances of waiting till 3 weeks before and keeping my fingers crossed.

Fluffy1234 Fri 15-Feb-13 14:51:50

10 months before I went.

purple15 Fri 15-Feb-13 13:48:12

Ive looked at republic £2800.

Is it likely to come down, say 3 weeks before ?

Fluffy, that was a good price, when did you book that ? How many weeks before ?

Fluffy1234 Fri 15-Feb-13 12:53:46

Try Travel Republic. We stayed 4 nights at Iberostar Cala Barca, Majorca pre cruise for £700 in a suite all inclusive. The price was double that on the Iberostar website. That was for 2 adults, a teenager and an 12 year old.

purple15 Fri 15-Feb-13 08:09:42

On hotels.com its £3400. and on the iberostar website I cant seem to get on there.
Well, that price is way above our butget. So, you dont think them prices will come down if I wait maybe 4 weeks before ?

iamabadger Thu 14-Feb-13 21:41:28

I always have good luck with hotels on booking.com. You can often find desks that don't require you to pay until you get to the hotel which is handy if you've just paid a big chunk for the flights.

theoriginalandbestrookie Thu 14-Feb-13 21:27:45

Iberostar website has the best prices for their own hotels. They don't usually go down in price so I wouldn't wait if thats what you want.

Try lowcostholidays.com

purple15 Thu 14-Feb-13 16:46:57

Hi all, I have booked the flights to Majorca in July for 9 nights.

I thought if I book it as seperates it will be cheaper, I fancy a nice hotel maybe a Iberostar.

When do I book it and which travel sites, I was thinking travel supersmarket, last minute or alpha rooms and when do I get the best price. Maybe 4 weeks before.

I thought with Majorca the most important thing is the flights and thats sorted. There are thousands of places to stay just dont know when or where to book.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now