First Holiday Abroad with 2 children in August - any suggestions?

(27 Posts)
MrsHoneybean Mon 11-Feb-13 16:53:37

Hi
We are hoping to go abroad with our children for the first time this summer in August, for a week to 10 days.

I have been to a travel agents to try and get a feel for somewhere to go and the agent kept banging on about Turkey. I went years ago and remember it being incredibly hot!

I am really not sure where to take our children for the first time. They are not used to a hot climate having only ever having holidays in the uk.

My children are 6 and 8 and are excellent swimmers. I am kind of thinking of all inclusive with swimming pool facilities.

I had thought Brittany but have been warned off that as the weather is similar to here.

Ideally we would love to just lie in the sun watching them mess about in a pool where its not sweltering hot that we melt!

I also thought a long haul would be better for their first holiday/flight.

Any suggestions greatly received!!

Thanks

MrsHoneybean Wed 13-Feb-13 18:27:31

Thank you so much for all your ideas and comments everyone!

I will go and research them all tonight.

Thanks wink

LaFlotte Wed 13-Feb-13 11:18:19

If you fancy a water park holiday, Siam Park in Tenerife is brilliant! Perhaps renting an apartment or villa and buying a pass for a few days at the water park? We did this one half term and it was brilliant. There are buses that collect you and take you to the park so you don't have to drive there.

landofsoapandglory Tue 12-Feb-13 21:02:22

I want to go to Turkey but DH won't even entertain the idea! sad

diabolo Tue 12-Feb-13 20:45:17

I love Turkey - went to a place called Turunc, over the mountain from Marmaris - might as well have been a different planet.

www.myturunc.com/

FellatioNels0n Tue 12-Feb-13 20:43:24

I have been to Turkey twice - the first time in May when it was beautiful and the second time in August and I found it too hot. Great place though.

diabolo Tue 12-Feb-13 20:42:26

givemeaclue - we've never needed aircon in Menorca (July & August, last year was 30 degrees plus some nights) - we've been fine with stand-alone room fans or ceiling fans. I gather it depends on the type of building.

A dip in the pool before bed helps me grin

landofsoapandglory Tue 12-Feb-13 20:40:30

We've been here 3 times with our DC. For children your DC's ages it is brilliant. It is totally aimed at children, there are activities all the time, a splash park for them to play in, a big pool and at night they have shows and discos for the kids. They did use to have a show where they dressed the kids up and got them involved. The first time we went, it was the first holiday DH and I sat back and really relaxed.

It is situated between 2 small beaches that are coves. Both are lovely and you can snorkel in them and watch the fish. The water is calm and warm. There are loads of places to eat out, it is a very child friendly resort.

givemeaclue Tue 12-Feb-13 20:36:44

Menorca lovely, went in august was hot but fine , make sure you have air con, we went basic and broiled at night. Lesson learned.

CPtart Tue 12-Feb-13 20:36:06

Our first three holidays abroad were to menorca, it's a lovely place for families. We went end of August, it wasn't unbearable, just plenty of sun cream and in the pool all day. Highly recommended.

MrsHoneybean Tue 12-Feb-13 20:34:04

Thanks landofsoapandglory and Diablo.

I will go and look. smile

diabolo Tue 12-Feb-13 20:22:32

I would certainly recommend somewhere in Menorca.

This is a good website:-

www.menorca-net.co.uk/

landofsoapandglory Tue 12-Feb-13 20:10:28

Here you go.

It is coming up at about £1700ish for the four of you self catering in August for a week. Cala'n Bosch is lovely. It is all centred round a Marina, has quite a few restaurants to eat in, and a really nice beach. We went when our's were small. It is a real family resort, there isn't any rowdiness.

landofsoapandglory Tue 12-Feb-13 20:05:26

I was looking at holidays today, I came across one in Cala'n Bosch Menorca that had unlimited access to the waterpark. It was with Jet2Holidays, I'll have a quick look to see if I can find it. The only trouble is I don't think they fly from London Airports, but you might find it with another operator, and it was probably self catering because we prefer to eat out.

MrsHoneybean Tue 12-Feb-13 19:38:49

Actually a hotel with a waterpark sounds fab!

Fluffy1234 Tue 12-Feb-13 19:29:07

MrsHoneyBean It's not to hot, especially for a jumping in the pool all day type holiday. Perhaps for lots of sightseeing you would find it hot. Theres nothing worse than going somewhere and its not quite warm enough or super windy and the pools are cold. When my DC were the age of your DC we had some lovely relaxing holidays like the one you described. Mine are teens now and have more or less out grown digging in the sand, watersides and pool based holidays. How about a hotel with it's own water park?

MrsHoneybean Tue 12-Feb-13 18:49:48

I did wonder whether it would be too hot.

We can't go in May as my hubby can't get time off.

Someone else suggested Eurocamps in France...

With so much choice I am getting confused!!

Thanks for all hour comments though.

Wishihadabs Tue 12-Feb-13 18:06:59

We went to Crete last year with dcs the same age. It was great 26-30 degrees.Fantastic pool.Ready good value too (2100 half board I think)

givemeaclue Tue 12-Feb-13 18:03:08

Only issue with may half term is its only one week

oneofthegiantsisme Tue 12-Feb-13 15:41:25

Does it have to be August? May half term might give you more pleasant weather (and cheaper prices). We went to Tuscany for our first holiday abroad with the kids at half term last year (OK, that was actually June, but the principle holds); we went for a mobile home on a holiday park, with a great pool complex, and had a fab time. DC were 12 & 10 at the time. With a mobile home you don't have to share a room - you can get 2 or 3 bedrooms, whatever suits your family & budget.

Balearics will be hot but you can't really go wrong there for a family holiday, Menorca is coming up reasonably cheap. You're budget isn't that high for high season which is probably why the travel agent suggested Turkey, tends to be a bit cheaper than Spain, Portugal etc. If you can forget going AI how about a campsite? Great for families, cheaper than a hotel and you could do Costa Brava which is a short flight and not too hot. Camping Cypsela is lovely as is Playa Bars on Costa Dorada.

landofsoapandglory Tue 12-Feb-13 15:36:23

I've melted in Majorca in June and September! Wherever you go it is going to be hot.

I love Majorca, our favourite part is Cala D'Or.

Fluffy1234 Tue 12-Feb-13 15:31:08

I've been to Costa Brava and Costa Dorada and found those places to be slightly cooler than a lot of Med places. I second the Balerics, I know quite a few families whose first family trip abroad was Menorca. It is hot though but fine for a swimming pool holiday.

specialsubject Tue 12-Feb-13 14:46:46

August is generally bloody hot in the Med - I've been a rep and was always a bit shock at people who went at that time and then grumbled at the heat...

the Canaries could be slightly cooler as they have a more stable year-round climate.

makemineapinot Mon 11-Feb-13 23:13:35

Majorca or Menorca are ideal for families and not too hot x

MrsHoneybean Mon 11-Feb-13 21:08:11

Short haul I think. I guess max flight time probably 4-5 hrs. We'd rather not share room with children, but I guess that depends on costs. Max budget no more than £3000.

Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now