Italy - Rome and Sorrento - Places to stay?

(8 Posts)
LaFlotte Mon 11-Feb-13 10:21:45

Hi,
We are struggling to decide on our summer holiday this year and I wondered if anyone could help!

We are thinking of flying to Rome for 3 or 4 days and then going to Sorrento for 5 days. Flying to Rome and home from Naples. We want to see Rome, Pompeii, Vesuvius etc. We have 10 year old DD so hotel in Sorrento should have a pool.

Does anyone have any places to stay that they can recommend? Perhaps around £800 - £1000 to spend on accommodation in total.

Any feedback on our holiday idea is also very welcome.

Thank you!

LIZS Mon 11-Feb-13 17:27:50

Can't hep but we were thinking of similar . Seems tricky to find info online

LaFlotte Mon 11-Feb-13 18:54:58

Not easy is it! I go from thinking it's a great idea to just thinking it's too much bother and we should do something else instead.

We went to Rome for a week last August.
We stayed here.

Hotel Parlamento

It is inbetween the Trevi & Pantheon, so very central. It isn't luxurious but is very clean. I'm not sure if you were looking for something more swanky? But it suited us down to the ground.

LaFlotte Tue 19-Feb-13 18:59:44

Thank you so much! Clean and central is exactly what we are looking for.

I will check their availability and prices!

Thanks again.

Azure Tue 19-Feb-13 19:06:44

We're doing a similar trip with the DCs at Easter. I've booked the Hilton in Sorrento as it gave a really good room rate (non cancellable) for a family room - not sure what rate would be in summer, though. I have a booking at the Quirinale in Rome (again, because of family room) but need to check if there is anything else that might suit as better, so am interested in any other recommendations you receive. We're flying into Naples and back from Rome and are thinking of having a hire car until we get to Rome, but are now sure whether that's a good idea or not.

VeniceQueen Tue 19-Feb-13 19:13:54

Try to find a central hotel in Sorrento as its not easy or safe to walk on the main roads from outlying hotels. The first time we went we stayed at the Atlantic palace which we had to catch a bus to the centre. The second time we went we stayed at the Grand Hote de la Ville which is central. Both hotels had a pool.
Both hotels were great, not too sure of the prices now though as it 8 years since we last went.

Transport was good in Sorrento and Iirc you can get a train from the town centre to Pompeii.

LaFlotte - the hotel is very much a B&B - but we couldn't of asked for more. Breakfast was fresh coffee/ hot chocolate, croissants, bread etc

There is a lovely roof terrace, but the staff really make it. They will help you in anyway they can. I actually chose from looking at reviews on Trip Advisor.

Any questions just ask

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now