feel guilty for wanting an abroad holiday instead of cornwall

(8 Posts)
purple15 Sun 10-Feb-13 20:20:37

For 15 years we have been going either to Cornwall or France taking our own caravan. We have stayed on caravan sites. I have put a deposit on Cornwall for this year and the price for the two weeks is £850. Anyway, I think that is way to much for our own caravan for this country. We have to have fishing and we have got a good pitch, thats why it is so much.

I think it is too expensive. I was passing a travel agents window on Saturday and 1 week in Turkey is £1200. We live in the North West so the petrol is quite a lot to get to Cornwall. It will probably work out the same.

I am going to Majorca with my mum and kids at spring bank, really cheap. So why do I feel so guilty at thinking about 'abroad' with my husband. We could just afford it. Why when everyone is skint, do I feel so gulty.

I think the UK is ridiculously expensive for holidays, then you can't guarantee the weather. It should cost half that amount for pitching your own caravan and then I would get the appeal. I really would love to go to Cornwall, but having heard about the cost from friends, I would go for a cheaper (or same price) holiday abroad every time.

purple15 Sun 10-Feb-13 20:32:11

so why do I feel guilty ? Its only a holiday. Every single July we go. So this year I am thinking abroad, on a plane. Why do I feel extravagent ?

I really wouldn't worry about it. Life is too short and sometimes a change is good and all that.

juneau Mon 11-Feb-13 11:02:15

£850 for a caravan pitch shock

I'd say you've 'done' Cornwall at this point, if you've been going there on and off for 15 years. Don't feel guilty. If you can afford to do something different and you want to, why not? We all need a change from time to time.

Fluffy1234 Tue 12-Feb-13 15:53:53

Don't feel guilty. Look for a good deal and enjoy your holiday. Cornwall isn't going any where if you did want to return to it in a few years time.

purple15 Tue 12-Feb-13 19:56:17

thanks for that fluffy, so true that cornwall isnt going anywhere. I can always go back next year.

shrimponastick Thu 21-Feb-13 16:33:22

I wouudlnt' feel guilty about it at all.

If you want to go abroad then do so. At least you have more chance of good weather - and experience different cultures.

Do you tow your 'van down to Cornwall? If so, you could have some long weekends in it nearer to home - I am sure there are sites with fishing all over the UK.#

We have a tourer - but it is stored on a site two hours from our home. We have lots of trips abroad, and only ever visit the caravan on the odd weekend - or sometimes book it out for a couple of weeks during the summer break. I agree it is expensive - even to pay for your own van on site. I think ours costs between £28-40per n ight in high season (depends on how many DC we take).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now