What to do with a newborn and a 3 year old - first holiday in years

(17 Posts)
Marcheline Tue 05-Feb-13 09:26:00

We have been saving like mad and have scraped together nearly £2k to spend on a holiday this year. We haven't had a holiday since we got married and DH is deperate for a holiday this year.

DD2 is due later this month and we would like to go abroad in May, before peak season / it gets too hot.

DH wants to book a villa in north Ibiza but I don't know Spanish and feel anxious about being out of my comfort zone with the DDs. I also don't want to spend so much money in order to just have 'normal' life for a week but somewhere a bit hotter (i.e - still spending my time cooking, cleaning, looking after the children). Do I just need a big kick up the arse?

I would love to go to France or, even better, the Bedruthan Steps in Cornwall, as it seems an affordable way of having an actual 'break' for the whole family - activities for DD1, a spa for me to relax in, no cooking, babysiting services etc. DH doesn't want to go to France as he wants me to get out of my comfort zone, and he wants to go abroad so Cornwall is out. However, anywhere similar that is abroad seems way out of our price range.

Please can someone help?

givemeaclue Tue 05-Feb-13 13:04:21

"out of comfort zone " would apply anywhere where you don't speak the language, don't let that put you off! If you don't want self catering what about a hotel in Spain/Greece/Turkey/canary islands etc

Hate you spoken to travel agent?

Marcheline Tue 05-Feb-13 15:29:13

Thank you for your reply, I haven't spoken to a travel agent just yet. I've never used a travel agent before but it's probably a good idea now that holiday planning is more than a flight and a hotel for a couple of adults!

To be honest, I'm really nervous about travelling after DD2 is born. I had PND with DD1 and the stress of travelling and being in an unfamiliar place with my baby would have meant that I didn't enjoy the holiday, which is what I'm scared of I suppose. I think I'm just being pathetic and will probably be fine - as you say, I'd never go anywhere that wasn't English or French speaking!

I was really adventurous pre-children <sigh> ...

popflos Tue 05-Feb-13 17:42:40

google baby friendly boltholes, masses of places for people just like you!

iwillsleepagainsomeday Tue 05-Feb-13 17:45:37

i'd go for something all in
or at least where you don't have to clean, and think of mealtimes.

Portofino Wed 06-Feb-13 09:12:02

Look at TotsToFrance - loads of baby friendly places, and they will supply all the equipment you need

this or this one in Provence looks lovely!

TerrysNo2 Wed 06-Feb-13 10:35:18

I highly recommend Caserio del Mirador in Spain. It is a totally relaxing break.

The English owners, Sarah and Johnny recommend places to go with regards to site, restaurants, beaches so you don't have to worry about finding your own. They also cook dinner for kids at 6pm and then once the kids have gone to bed they cook dinner for the adults and you can either eat communally with everyone else (thats what we did) or eat on your own balcony. There is a swimming pool, animals and trampoline for the kids. We had a fab time there.

forevergreek Wed 06-Feb-13 12:18:17

I would recommend all inclusive at the Tenerife sensatori restort

Is fairly expensive per adult but little ones go for free/ small percentage. It would come in under budget in may/ June

Has babysitting services/ kids entertainment/ food all done/ cots/ buggys/ baby stuff all available. Right on the beach.
Perfect to either stay in one place all week or you can hire a cr for a day or two to explore the island etc..

Marcheline Wed 06-Feb-13 13:43:18

Thank you so much for the suggestions, and for being kind when I'm well aware that I sound ridiculous blush

Caserio del Mirador looks fab, thanks Terrys.

Porto, that website looks brill too - I'll get DH to cast his eye over it.

thanks all

Marcheline Wed 06-Feb-13 16:57:21

Terrys - just booked Caserio del Mirador and feeling a bit lightheaded at the amount of money we are spending on a week's holiday after being on such a tight budget for three years, but also very excited! Thank you very, very much for your link.

givemeaclue Wed 06-Feb-13 18:03:56

It looks great, you will have e wonderful time, relax and enjoy

TerrysNo2 Wed 06-Feb-13 20:17:22

Oh Marcheline you are going to have a fab time, say hi to Sarah and Johnny for me! You can read my review here, its the last one at the bottom. I mention a few good places to visit which Sarah and Johnny know all about.

I am actually very jealous of you right now grin

TerrysNo2 Wed 06-Feb-13 20:20:21

envy I just re-read my own review and it brings back memories of how fab the place is. I think you have picked the right place to splurge!

Portofino Wed 06-Feb-13 20:30:53

That is wonderful. It does look lovely and I have bookmarked it with the 50 other MN recommendations I have for next year. Hope you have a wonderful time!

Marcheline Wed 06-Feb-13 20:38:12

Thanks!

I just posted on a thread about managing childcare with two children and had been thinking 'shit, how can I spend so much money when we're going to be struggling for the next year til DD1 goes to school?'

But now you've got me excited again, I'll make sure we really make the most of having a proper holiday before we come back to scrimping and saving smile

Marcheline Wed 06-Feb-13 20:43:25

Just read all the reviews shock they are all amazing!

Terrys you are wonderful, thank you.

popflos Wed 06-Feb-13 21:22:22

cant put a price on a holiday.
just take lots of photos and promise not to argue about directions!
there will be lots of wine and i hear wine is pretty much free of charge at Caserio del Mirador. (hmmm, new born, maybe thats the wrong thing to say!) have a fantastic holiday. it gets mumsnet top european hotel slot, cant get better than that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now