Can anyone help me find my ideal holiday?

(8 Posts)
Bassface Fri 01-Feb-13 08:18:14

Hello.

I'm looking to go away in June with DH and DS who will be 2.5. We want a short-ish flight (2-3 hours), a nice long promenade on the front to walk along in the evening, some restaurants and bars but nothing too rowdy. We can't be doing with the whole Union Jack/Sunday roast/karaoke scene.

Ideally I don't want anywhere too hilly or lots of steps down to the beach as we will have a pushchair with us a lot of the time.

We have been to Portal Nous in Majorca before when DS was tiny and love it but feel now he is a bit older he would benefit from having a few more children's activities around.

DS is train bonkers and either a steam train nearby or a little land train would be good.

Also any recommendations for apartments would be much appreciated. Would prefer self catering with a balcony we can sit on in the evening and watch the world go by while DS is in bed and a little splash pool would be brilliant.

Would really appreciate any advice!

LittlePandaBear Fri 01-Feb-13 11:14:19

I'm after the exact same thing for me, DH and DD who will be 2.7 in June so will be watching this thread with interest! The only additional requirement that I have is that DH hates long coach transfers from the airport, it would need to be under an hour!

We went to Vilamoura in the Algarve last year which was lovely close to the airport, it has a huge marina with restaurants but it's more young families and golfers than a rowdy crowd. I think there is a land train although we didn't use it, and there is a Zoomarine park nearby which was great for the kids. I don't have advice on accommodation as I stayed in a villa with my parents and sister and kids. Oh, and the beach is lovely and sandy too, if you don't mind paying lots for sunbeds.

BobbiFleckmann Fri 01-Feb-13 11:19:54

Ile Rousse in Corsica. A short hop over from Calvi, has a little land train that links the beaches. Lots of apartments to hire but mainly on french websites - if you look on the UK ones, they're rather more £££.Lots of camping too if you can face that in the heat.Hardly any english so def no fry ups etc.
There's a tiny infant amusement park for the evenings - a roundabout and a couple of shetland ponies type of thing. Ice cream.

specialsubject Fri 01-Feb-13 16:09:10

I would recommend Tenerife if you can stretch the flight time. The rowdies are in August in the centre of Las Americas - apart from being the strongest sun time of year, June will be fine if you pick your area. The lower parts of Torviscas and Costa Adeje will have plenty of places to suit (The upper parts are very hilly). All have what you need and if you get a view, it will be of La Gomera and a wonderful sunset.

magentastardust Fri 01-Feb-13 17:28:04

Pollensa in Mallorca or St Maxime in South of France?

Or nice ?

Will be watching to read what other recommendations you get !

juneau Fri 01-Feb-13 17:37:06

South of France and take the train down there - Eurostar to Lille and then change to the TGV. Nice has a stony beach, so I probably wouldn't go there, but most other places have sandy beaches. St Raphael is nice. So is Juan les Pins. Lots of apartments and child-friendly holiday villages all along the coast. Try Keycamps or Pierre et Vacances.

jackstini Thu 07-Feb-13 07:43:09

Also watching with interest!

DC will be 4 & 7 and want a villa with pool with a flight under 3 hours so thinking Spain/Portugal/Balearics.

Went to Los Delfines in Minorca last year and they catered so brilliantly for kids - all the restaurants had trampolines, play areas, bouncy castles etc.

It was lovely to be able to order a meal then DH and I could have a drink and chat while the kids played until the meal arrived.

Resort nice and flat too and although beach was small it was really not too busy and had lovely shallow water.

doowpro Thu 07-Feb-13 11:30:03

We went to Hotel Club Daniela in south Italy last summer, and I mention it because there was a little private 'train' that ran between the hotel and beach!
http://www.grandhoteldaniela.it/en
Everyone there was Italian: our ds's were celebrities with the Italian kids just cos they were 'Inglese'!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now