Beach holiday with teens, can you help?

(38 Posts)
middleagedspread Tue 22-Jan-13 20:43:28

We've had some lovely holidays with our DSs but mostly long haul.
Our circumstances have changed & I'm looking for a reasonable beach holiday in August.
Essentials; gorgeous beach, tennis & some other teens for DSs to hang around with.
We're not really looking for a big resort, equally SC apartment might be dull for the teens. Mark warner or equivalent would be ideal but it's about the same price as the caribbean.
We loved Corsica but it's just too pricey. I like the look or Formentera but can't find a nice hotel.
I think I'm looking for the impossible, but I wonder if you have any ideas?

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Wed 23-Jan-13 22:40:12

Yes we did Nielson Kenya a couple of years ago - not a common occurance for us to spend that much!

middleagedspread Wed 23-Jan-13 21:04:30

Thanks so much, they're great suggestions. Wildwind looks great. Will investigate.
Neilsons were coming out at 7K + Shotgun, some were even 10! Ridiculous money.

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Wed 23-Jan-13 20:55:47

Volillas? Villas!

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Wed 23-Jan-13 20:31:11

Watersports: I occasionally come across independents offering volillas in Greece with a dinghy available for guests' use. Can't remember any off the top of my head, natch, but you might find something?

Mind you, our lot have reached the stage of sailing to humour DH, so not sure we'd get away with that option smile.

Wildwind is a fab suggestion.Minorca Sailing is another one to look for if you like your watersports.
I think the old Crystal Active centres are now Ocean Elements.
Can't believe it woud cost £6k for 4 people at Neilson, quite shocked by that!

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Wed 23-Jan-13 20:13:33

Never been here but it looks lovely - I was vaguely looking at it myself this week.

I think it could come in under your budget, assuming there's four of you and depending on which options you choose.(Sailing/windsurfing/activities in Vassiliki).

CuriousMama Wed 23-Jan-13 16:42:43

That hotel Fluffy recommended looks lush.

CuriousMama Wed 23-Jan-13 16:38:15

We did a cruise that had tennis all loved it. Ocean Village though so not everyone's cup of tea.

Fluffy1234 Wed 23-Jan-13 14:25:30

Yes that's the one. If you get a chance check out the reviews on trip advisor.

middleagedspread Wed 23-Jan-13 14:08:18

Was that the Louis Corcyra, Fluffy? It might tick all the boxes; beach, tennis & not too busy. Thanks so much.

Fluffy1234 Wed 23-Jan-13 13:45:29

I went to a Louis hotel in Corfu and that was very good. I think there are also some Louis hotels in Cyprus that look good. Also check out Mark Warner but you would probably only get a week with your budget.
I second the idea of a cruise. My teens have out grown beach/ jumping in the pool holidays and we have found cruises great for them. Find one with an adult only pool for some quiet time for you while they go of and make friends.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Wed 23-Jan-13 12:00:03

Sunsail is v.good - no idea on the August prices though.

middleagedspread Wed 23-Jan-13 11:57:23

Thanks so much Baking. As you say 6K is a lot of money, but with x2 teens you have to pay 4 adult prices which can be shocking in the school holidays.
Ideally we'd do a Neilson Beach Plus but the prices are horrendous in August. We once did a cheapy version with Crystal Active, but they seem to have stopped doing them.

Bakingnovice Wed 23-Jan-13 11:45:57

OP the Hilton is v expensive. I think it keeps prices high to retain exclusivity of guests. Have you tried the big hotels on Lara beach or the royal Alhambra palace in side? These are cheaper but still very exclusive. £6k may sound a lot but with teens I know it can be very expensive depending on where you go. The Royal Alhambra palace has some good prices with Thomas cook as it's new hotel and TC have 10% off in January. Good luck.

Lollybrolly Wed 23-Jan-13 10:00:56

Have a look here Albufeira

You can search the top few hotels in resort on here as well.

Lollybrolly Wed 23-Jan-13 09:48:26

Algarve has amazing beaches with interesting sea - Atlantic, so the teens can be kept amused with good watersports. The beaches of the Algarve are amazing - everything from long swathes of sand, to fishermens beaches to tiny little coves with caves and cliffs. One of my favourite little coves is Castelo just outside of Albufeira

Albufeira is the main Aragrve resort - I love it but we ialways stay out of the town. There is the old town which is charming etc has history and a market and then the newer bits that can be a bit brashy. Beaches are plentiful and all have their own charm. There are lots of other resorts but some may be too quiet for your teens. Another worth a look is Praia da Rocha - very large with huge sandy beach - howver imo lacks the charm of Albuferia. Lagos and Alvor are pretty etc but quiet.

Lots to see and do on he Algarve too and there are 2 main water parks which alot of the travel companies and local agents sell day trips to aqualand and slide and splash. Both very good and whole days out.

If you want to get out and about and discover the best coves and beaches then hire a care for a few days although public transport is good.

Not sure on hotels as we have used apartments and villas but you could do a search in trip adviser or look at Thomson Gold/Platinum etc for some ideas.

JustinMumsnot Wed 23-Jan-13 09:34:02

What about the Sunsail beach club in Vounaki. Lots of stuff to do but not overly crowded. I haven't been to the beach club itself but done lots of flotilla holidays round there and the island is gorgeous.

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Wed 23-Jan-13 09:27:34

You clearly possess akills I don't and I'll be thrilled to be proved wrong on this thread!

bigTillyMint Wed 23-Jan-13 09:26:50

We have booked an AI in Turkey for 3.5K with 2 teens in August - for 6K you could definitely get something good.

Friends rave about this place, but I doubt it's quiet! Or what about a Neilson watersports hol - I saw some around the 6K mark.

Er...because 6k is a massive budget if you aren't going Longhaul? I'm struggling to find something at 3k.

You will be spoilt for choice with decent AI.

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Wed 23-Jan-13 09:22:08

Why do you keep saying £6k is a massive budget? Teens pay adult prices and it sounds as if the op doesn't want to go camping.

chicaguapa Wed 23-Jan-13 09:18:03

Have you thought of a cruise? No beach or tennis, which probably isn't very helpful, but I've always thought they make good holidays for groups who all want different things from a holiday. Plenty of activities for teens, places with peace and quiet for the adults. The pool will be heaving though, but you can go to the beach in the ports if that's your thing.

Some cruises go to Ajaccio or you can go round the Greek islands.

middleagedspread Wed 23-Jan-13 09:17:26

No, ssd. Sorry, didn't mean to sound snotty.

ssd Wed 23-Jan-13 09:09:52

I know op, but you have a budget of 6k!! I wouldnt see that as a problem.

middleagedspread Wed 23-Jan-13 09:06:28

Thanks Baking, it looks great, but sadly coming out out 8K.
Problem is sad, that teens now pay adult prices.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now