Pierre et Vacances holiday villages

(15 Posts)
Househunter Sat 19-Jan-13 19:00:25

I'm looking to book a 2 bedroom apartment somewhere likely to have good weather in July/August and have been looking at Pierre et Vacances. I want somewhere that has a kids club from age 3 and preferably near an airport. Can anyone recommend one of the holiday villages please?

Also it's not clear from the website but do they have bars and restaurants? I don't really want to cook much on holiday!

Just stay away from the one in Villefranche, next bay to Nice.

Househunter Sat 19-Jan-13 19:05:28

Why's that? Was considering flying to Nice so it would be good to know if there's anything to avoid.

We stayed there 10 days the summer before last. My family on the first floor, my cousin with her dd and parents on the ground floor.

The apartments have no airconditioning. The ground floor apartments have no windows that you can open, not even in the back bedroom. Only option is to have the front door open! There is no security lock, so you cannot do this safely. We were lucky on the first floor, as we could leave the balcony door open and have some air. The bedroom also had a window with iron bars and shutters that we could open.

There is no cleaning. No new towels, no new bedding, unless you ask for it in reception. You can exchange old for new. So in theory you can change your own beds, nobody will do it for you. Nobody picks up your rubbish, you need to carry your rubbish yourself to the communal rubbish bins outside the property. The cutlery and kitchen utensils are really sparse, making it difficult to cook.

There is no wifi. The only place to have internet connection is in the hotel reception, or in the restaurant by the pool, in a certain spot near reception.

You have to pay for sun loungers by the pool. The pool is ok though.

It is 5 minutes walk to the beach. The beach is pebbly. You pass some benches where homeless people sleep on the way to and from the beach. People puke, or even shit in the passageway down to the beach, in the vicinity of these benches. Similarly, the train station is along the beach on the other side of the bay, so you need to go down the same passageway if you take the train to and from Nice or Monaco.

I recommend the BUS to be honest.

Aside from these issues, we had a good holiday there. But we did not use the pool much, and spent only one afternoon on the beach. We like to be active and went for long walks and hikes to nearby villages, coupled with trips in to Nice for the museums, and Cannes just to wander about.

Cafes were so expensive that we brought packed lunches of baguettes with ham and cheese, which was so tasty and delicious anyway, enjoyed on a bench somewhere! smile

Househunter Sat 19-Jan-13 19:46:23

Thanks. That's really helpful. Can anyone else give any feedback on other holiday villages?

GinandJag Sat 19-Jan-13 19:50:59

We have bee to Cap Esterel. It's pretty close to Nice. It was great.

Househunter Sun 20-Jan-13 10:12:50

They all look great on the website but been on trip advisor and there's some dreadful reviews for all the villages I've looked at. Mainly for food quality, cleanliness and customer service. Might have to go back to the drawing board.

Portofino Sun 20-Jan-13 10:34:17

We went to Les Restanques du St Tropez. The food and service was awful, the shop was crap. The pool was nice but it cost a bloody fortune to rent a basic house. Much better to rent an apartment with a shared pool in Antibes or somewhere where you can walk to restaurants and the beach.

Portofino Sun 20-Jan-13 10:35:51

They only spoke French in the kids club - which was OK for dd as she is bilingual - but might come as a disappointment otherwise....

Portofino Sun 20-Jan-13 10:39:32

Have you considered one of the mobile home companies. You could rent a top of the range mobile home for much less than the cost of a P&V appartment and will get all the facilities you want. Lac Des Reves is very nice for little kids and there is loads to do nearby. The mobiles are all very spread out. Very close to Montpellier airport.

LIZS Sun 20-Jan-13 10:44:41

We did Belle Dune but that probably is too far north for your requirements. It had restaurant and bar but felt quite limited for size of site. Local restaurants were walkable distance though. We booked linen , cleaning etc . Have also been to Port Guillaume in Normandy but that was more odd houses within a holiday community and pool was tiny, choice of harbourside restaurants though.

loopsngeorge Sun 20-Jan-13 10:52:44

I asked this question last year and I seem to remember people saying that the accommodation was very cramped. Also the kids clubs varied - some were much more aimed at French visitors and little English was spoken.
They do look lovely in the brochure but I was put off by the amount of negative comments.
I did find somewhere that looked good in the Thomson Al Fresco brochure called Esterel and that had a kids club from 3. I couldn't work out whether it was part of the P&V Cap Esterel complex or something independent but it had lots of similar facilities but was much cheaper - might be worth a look.

LIZS Sun 20-Jan-13 10:55:11

Definitely worth booking a size larger than you "need"

LaCiccolina Sun 20-Jan-13 11:00:10

Can recommend deauville in Normandy. Stayed with them a few times both in town and on outskirts. Fabulous beach!!!!

Househunter Sun 20-Jan-13 14:07:57

Ok, thanks all. Lots to think about.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now