Can anyone recommend a resort in Italy

(34 Posts)
Samnella Thu 17-Jan-13 22:21:46

I am driving myself nuts trying to find somewhere for us for a week in August. DCs will be 5 and 7 . I know I definitely want:

Italy
S/C villa 2 or 3 bed and private so somewhere not built up or overlooked.
Private decent sized pool that we can swim rather than just paddle in.
Walking distance to a village/town for bars/food. Nice family place not fishn'chips or 18-30s.
Good food. I must add I am vege (no meat/fish) so Italy normally works well for me.
We don't need childcare or entertainment.

We shall drive and want places nearby to go and see. The beach is a bonus but not essential.

I am having no problem finding villas on owners direct but would like to focus on particular resorts/towns/villages.

Thanks.

Ponders Wed 23-Jan-13 21:15:27

apartment with shared pool at Cetona in Tuscany - walking distance to town centre - it doesn't say how many apartments are there though

I think you're going to struggle to find an actual villa, with private or shared pool, within walking distance of amenities

Cetona is well placed for visiting Tuscany & also Umbria. We stayed in Sinalunga last time - about 20 miles to the N - & had a wonderful time, partly touring & partly vegging smile

Ponders Wed 23-Jan-13 21:20:28

another apt in Cetona - available second half of August. This looks lovely, esp the garden

Ponders Wed 23-Jan-13 21:23:57

villa with private pool, in vicinity of San Gimignano (which is fab!) but you'd have to drive everywhere

notcitrus Wed 23-Jan-13 21:32:04

The smaller Garda towns are ok even in August, eg Bardolino or Sirmione. And can be done by public transport using buses from Verona and river boats.
But villas tend to be up in the hills so need to drive if you don't want a hotel or campsite.

Ponders Wed 23-Jan-13 21:37:07

this one is near Poggibonsi which Fluffy mentioned

beautiful location, delightful inside too - can't tell if pool is shared with others or not. will require driving everywhere again though

Ponders Wed 23-Jan-13 21:39:38
Ponders Wed 23-Jan-13 21:42:44

apt on L Maggiore

not so much to do up there

Ponders Wed 23-Jan-13 21:45:32

L Garda apt - some availability in August & restaurants in walking distance

how can you resist the blue washing machine? wink

makemineapinot Wed 23-Jan-13 22:54:59

Samnella, we've always been in August and it was never cramped or too noisy. You do have to pay for sun beds so 99%of people lay on towels round pool/on beach but never a lack of space. The pitches round mobiles were spacious (ours were anyway - with Canvas) and set out sociably x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now