Anyone been to Ile d Re or Ile d'Oleron (or environs), South France- you help/advice/recommendations needed please!

(26 Posts)
herewegoloopyloo Sun 13-Jan-13 21:18:11

We are looking to go to probably Ile D'Oleron or Ile de Re for 4 nights in August en-route elsewhere but am feeling completley bamboozled by the websites. Don't know where is go, where to stay... We have 2 DC who are both under 6yrs so will need a family room or the like. Want to be able to just play on the beach with the children, eat out at lovely places and generally relax. Anyone out there with some suggestions? Much appreciated

herewegoloopyloo Wed 16-Jan-13 21:06:16

Thanks CestTout. Have replied by PM (I hope!). Really helpful suggestions and tips. Hotel booked and have looked at webcam- getting v excited and must remember is still 7 months away! Having to type this on phone as no computer access at present but might come back to you. Thanks again, and for everyone's help.

CestTout Wed 16-Jan-13 11:43:19

herewego - replied to you with a bit on an essay - sorry!

Swiss - Oleron is MUCH quieter and has a fair few villas but not sure what avaliability would be like now.

Reaa Wed 16-Jan-13 10:04:53

Have a look http://www.canvasholidays.co.uk/special-offers/2013-11944-0.aspx

swisscottage Wed 16-Jan-13 10:03:28

We were thinking of going in July but a friend who lives nearby said that Ile de Re explodes to 180,000 in July/August and you can't move!! I googled for accommodation and there are a lot of villas still available but only for a week minimum. I don't think it will be cheap as the cost of bikes really add up and restaurants are expensive apparently.

Reaa Wed 16-Jan-13 10:02:53

Hi, have been to both places more than once, both great so I could not choose for you.

herewegoloopyloo Wed 16-Jan-13 09:47:08

Thanks all for suggestions and for campsite link, La Flotte. THat would be perfect but they only do full weeks in August. Never mind. Will keep for next time.

CestTout-advice and tips woudl be fantastic, thank you! We have pretty much decided on Oleron - a bit quieter and a bit less expensive. We have found a possibel hotel which has family rooms and not too outrageously priced (Hotel de la Plage) although Le Square also looks possible. Our DD's are (or will be then) 3 and 6yrs so suggestions of child friendly attractions or even just good beaches much appreciated. We are also both food lovers so tips/ideas or places to avoid all welcome! ( I dont know how to PM you, sorry - am going to post and see if can work out how.... )

CestTout Tue 15-Jan-13 22:49:01

I spent all childhood holidays on Oleron and several since- if you want any help please say. Can help with French/places to stay/restaurants/stuff for kids etc. not on here much at the moment (bloody work!!) but if you'd like to PM will happily help.

Oleron is the quieter of the two islands during August. Re is well known for being one of the Parisian escapes! Oleron is a bit more of a working island than Re.

HTH

LaFlotte Tue 15-Jan-13 18:05:21

We really liked the campsite in Ars en Re. It was called Airotel Comoran. If you google it, you'll see it. I'm afraid I don't know how to do links!

It's really nice, clean and friendly. There is a great pool area, tennis court, playground etc. You can cycle from here into the little village centre where there are restaurants and cafes. On site there is also a restaurant which is good and a shop/bakery. You can walk or cycle to the beach and it's just gorgeous to watch the sunset from.

The mobile homes were clean and fairly spacious. Ours had a double bedroom and a twin bedroom with a toilet and then a shower room. In the middle was open plan living area with kitchen and in front outside there was a patio with table and chairs.

It was the first time I had been to a campsite and I loved it! Great atmosphere and mixture of British, French, Dutch, German...

If you think of any other questions let me know and when you book, I can give you a few ideas for day trips! The ice cream shop in St Martin is legend in our house!!!

LillianGish Tue 15-Jan-13 17:49:09

Ile de Re is gorgeous. I love La Flotte. Have always rented a gite, but they are usually for one week minimum. There isn't a bit of the island I wouldn't want to stay in so you can't go wrong. I do like a stroll into town though so near La Flotte or St Martin would be my choice. I think it will be a question of where there is room as people tend to book up from year to year in August.

herewegoloopyloo Tue 15-Jan-13 17:35:43

LaFlotte - recommendations would be great, thank you. Hadn't considered a mobile home so good thought. Any tips or suggestions gratefully received!

Irregular - thanks. Unfortuanately no availability but looks lovely.

irregularegular Tue 15-Jan-13 11:44:19

PS - the reviews on tripadvisor are excellent!

irregularegular Tue 15-Jan-13 11:43:36

Il de Re is lovely!!

We stayed for about 4 days (can't remember exactly) on the way elsewhere a few years ago. We stayed here: http://www.hotellagaliote.com/

I don't remember it as being exceptional, but it was a reasonable price for Il de Re, quiet, well located a short stroll from La Flotte harbour, and generally did the job very pleasantly indeed.

I don't remember there being all that much choice outside campsites, self-catering and a few expensive hotels.

I would go back, definitely.

LaFlotte Tue 15-Jan-13 11:35:22

Hi, we have been to re three times in august and it is not crowded. Yes it is fairly busy but no more than other holiday destinations in school hols.

It is probably one of the prettiest places you will ever see.

We have flown to la Rochelle and take a taxi over the bridge.

We have stayed in ars en re, la flotte and la couarde.

Would recommend trying a campsite with fixed mobile homes to see if they have a four night window. Can recommend one in ars en re if you like.

St Martin is gorgeous too and nice hotels around there.

Let me know if you have questions.

Cycle routes are amazing. Flat, smooth and no cars. Beaches are gorgeous. You cannot go wrong!!

herewegoloopyloo Tue 15-Jan-13 11:19:17

Ok thanks. Dh had been rather put of the talk of wall-to-wall crowds but everywhere is busy in August and it sounds like Oleron would be fine. has anyone got any recommendations for accomadation with 2 young children?
Thank you

bigTillyMint Mon 14-Jan-13 15:42:09

Have been to camp by ile d'oleron a few times and totally agree with Gin (should be my name!) Not packed - loads of space and different places to go. Beaches and woods and loads of safe and easy cycling. La Rochelle is also lovely for days out.

aftermay Mon 14-Jan-13 11:56:09

We stayed in La Rochelle and went for day trips to Ile de Re. Two summers ago, no more packed than anywhere else.

GinAndSlimlinePlease Mon 14-Jan-13 11:53:51

went to ile d' oleron two years ago. It was fab. Everything was reasonably priced (mostly because we cooked most meals ourselves). There are a few secluded beaches, we found one and loved it there.

Fab if you like cycling, lots of off road cycling. we hardly drove anywhere.

Yy to bridge being slow, but if you factor that in it's fine.

I loved it (i might be biassed, dh proposed there!).

Oh, and really good waves in the sea. It was fab. Secluded beach the water was still and clear, and then we'd cycle over to the main beach in the late afternoon to jump waves.

GinAndSlimlinePlease Mon 14-Jan-13 11:46:40

went to ile d' oleron two years ago. It was fab. Everything was reasonably priced (mostly because we cooked most meals ourselves). There are a few secluded beaches, we found one and loved it there.

Fab if you like cycling, lots of off road cycling. we hardly drove anywhere.

Yy to bridge being slow, but if you factor that in it's fine.

I loved it (i might be biassed, dh proposed there!).

Oh, and really good waves in the sea. It was fab. Secluded beach the water was still and clear, and then we'd cycle over to the main beach in the late afternoon to jump waves.

herewegoloopyloo Mon 14-Jan-13 11:36:03

Hmmm, sounds like Oleron a better bet. Will look in to B+B's - might have to do some phoning around in my pidgin french... There are probably some lovely places around Bordeaux or on the coast towards Ile D'oleron but I just dont know the area at all.

RavenVonChaos Mon 14-Jan-13 07:35:37

Il d'oleron is beautiful. Camped there tho. Try chambre d'hote - like B and B.

Ragwort Mon 14-Jan-13 07:21:49

I've been to Ile de Re but it is incredibly expensive, you have to pay a fortune to get over on the toll bridge so I am not sure if it would be worth it for just four days? Have to say I also found it rather pretentious, full of holiday makers and very crowded. <and that was ten years ago>.

herewegoloopyloo Mon 14-Jan-13 07:18:02

Bump for the early birds....

herewegoloopyloo Sun 13-Jan-13 22:06:10

Hi , yes I know will be packed in August - sadly, no option on dates. Was one reason for considering Ile d'Oleron - may be slightly (v slightly) less busy?? En route not meant literally of course - just as a stop-off to a family gathering and wanting a beach and relax place for a few days in that area (we fly in to Bordeaux). Any tips?

ivykaty44 Sun 13-Jan-13 21:23:48

lol grin is my first thought when I see you intend to visit in August - sorry but it will be packed with Parisians and whereas the prices are usually expensive in March, the prices in August will be ghastly and every where will be very crowded.

As both places are islands, where are you going to go that they are en- route?

The Ile de Re is beautiful and so is La Rochelle, tbh I would prefer to find a room for a couple of nights in La Rochelle in August

Sorry, no real help but we stayed in La Rochelle when we went to the Ile de Re and we just did daytrips to the Ile de Re. It was all gorgeous!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now