Where is lovely in Corsica?

(9 Posts)
mathsconundrum Fri 18-Jan-13 20:06:24

Hi all thanks for really useful tips.

Chewbecca Fri 18-Jan-13 13:22:13

We've spent 3 holidays in Corsica, it's one of our favourite places and we will return again some time.
Never had a wind problem though (hahaha)
PV really nice, lovely beaches, lots of traffic in summer. Most people stay o/s the town rather than in PV. I like Cala Rossa beach a lot, there's a hotel on the beach I'd like to stay at sometime but it is too expensive right now.
Bonifacio is possibly better to visit not to stay in, you can't stay in town and be by the beach, would have to stay outside town I think.
We like the Calvi area equally. We might try Algajola (small town between Calvi and Ile Rousse) next time we visit, looked like it might be good.
Have also stayed in Cap Corse (the 'finger') which whilst still was nice felt more isolated than the rest of the island.
I hear people like St Florent too, we've only driven through, not stayed but again, it felt a little isolated.
Not so keen on the east coast towns.
We haven't visited the SW corner yet but do hope to one day (that's 3 places I want to visit on Corsica now!)

The food is fab all over the island but never cheap. You really don't get much for your money accomodation wise either. There's some pretty poor accomodation around and it is STILL not cheap even though it should be.

PortiaPony Wed 16-Jan-13 13:56:03

Calvi, without doubt. Also Corsican Places are very good, will advise you of where to stay and reasonably priced. We fell in love with the place and will be back again this year.

CestTout Tue 15-Jan-13 22:51:11

Another who had a great holiday in Calvin. Ile Rousse may also fit the bill.

We went with Corsican holidays and they were brilliant.

flyingcarpet Mon 14-Jan-13 17:57:13

We stayed in Calvi. It was lovely. Beach soft sand and shells and very clean (although I do think Sardinia has the best beaches in Europe). We enjoyed eating out at night and the restaurants were good. Not at all windy when we were there. You must go inland to the mountains whilst you are there as they are stunning.

iseenodust Mon 14-Jan-13 17:47:35

Another vote for Porto Vecchio. Beaches just south are stunning.

DoodleAlley Mon 14-Jan-13 09:22:37

We were about ten mins from Porto vecchio. A bit isolated but utterly
Stunning.

Agree about not cheap and you'll need a hire car all holiday.

But breathtakingly beautiful.

We drive to bonafacio for the day and again beautiful but very windy in comparison to where we were staying

Portofino Mon 14-Jan-13 09:05:21

Porto-Vecchio. It is not cheap mind.

mathsconundrum Sun 13-Jan-13 20:16:30

We have one dd 6 so would like to be close to beach with pool. Have heard that some parts are very windy. Bonifacio? Would love a lovely seaside town with good reasonably priced restaurants.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now