swimming, a few bars and restaurants for girly european weekend? Can you help?

(16 Posts)
nomazeena Fri 11-Jan-13 18:43:01

Hi, I have been charged with organising a surprise weekend for a friend who is getting married. 3/4 days June 2-3hour flight. budget ok but not crazy.
She has 3 young kids so I think she'd rather sit on a terrace with the water lapping at her feet than trail around a city? Ideally I'd like a little house with access to a few nice restaurants and bars but also a cove or beach or pool for swimming. I'm thinking Deia in majorca but its expensive and hard to find an apartment for a few days. Do any of you lovely mumsnetters have any ideas?
thank you

Portofino Sun 13-Jan-13 10:15:23

Antibes? Jacuzzi, pool, walking distance to beach and everything else, short taxi journey from Nice airport.

How many people are going?

MaureenShit Sun 13-Jan-13 10:20:02

GIRLY? sheesh

forevergreek Sun 13-Jan-13 10:36:48

Croatia. Up and coming, nice restaurants, relaxing and not many kids around .

Nice apartments can be found for £300 ish, then just add flights on top

Ruthiebabes Sun 13-Jan-13 12:23:44

South France.. fly to Nice then loads of options eg Nice, Cannes, Villefranche

bangersmashandbeans Sun 13-Jan-13 12:28:10

Barcelona has a bit of both?

Barcelona or Palma both good.
Not sure if you can get a short break in Portugal but I would also recommend Vilamoura.

bangersmashandbeans Sun 13-Jan-13 13:03:02

Ooh yes Portugal is fantastic, and you'd be pretty much guaranteed great weather

nomazeena Thu 17-Jan-13 18:48:58

thank you very much for the suggestions. Portugal is a good idea- I do fancy some guaranteed weather- the wedding is uk camping so this might be all the sunshine we get!

FreyaKItty Fri 18-Jan-13 15:47:46

San Sebastián, town built upto gorgeous crescent shaped beach, some shops, fabulous food.
-/

Labootin Fri 18-Jan-13 15:56:50

I wouldn't recommend Cannes Nice or Antibes or any of that area tbh

Beaches are rubbish (tiny strip) crowded and generally dismal.

It's like Southend (no offence to the Essex laydeez) with a Gucci shop thrown in.

Geordieminx Sun 20-Jan-13 07:02:15

Barcelona

popflos Mon 21-Jan-13 18:36:52

san sebastian gets my vote!

gordonpym Tue 22-Jan-13 06:27:50

STOP! before considering San Sebastian, have a look at these precipitation datas. Compare Barcelona june rain mm (20) with the ones of SS (98) www.climatedata.eu/climate.php?loc=spxx0015&lang=en vs www.climatedata.eu/climate.php?loc=spxx0191&lang=en.
San Sebastian is lovely, but doesn't have the most fortunate climate.

EMS23 Tue 22-Jan-13 06:39:04

My two favourite ever trips away with my female mates have been to Marrakech.

mrsnec Tue 22-Jan-13 06:46:58

Malta? Not brilliant beaches but very pretty and great restaurants and shops. You might not find a house or villa but sometimes you can get good deals on spa hotels there and most of them have rooftop pools with harbour views. Look at Sliema and St Julians. I like Le Meridien. I had my hen do there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now