Puerto Pollensa or Cala D'Or in Majorca?

(9 Posts)
OliviaPeacein2013Mumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 16-Jan-13 23:53:56

Loved P Pollensa but went 7 years ago pre DC
#unhelpful

makemineapinot Wed 16-Jan-13 23:50:55

We went o Cala egos by Cala d'Or last year and loved it but were disappointed by the beaches as very small and very busy coves and no room to swing a cat! The resort was nice enough (some fab restaurants) and apartment/hotel (Club Martha) was lovely and fantastic for kids (10 & 8) We have booked puerto Pollensa for this year so can let you know in August!!!!

2munchkins Sat 12-Jan-13 16:25:12

We went to Puterto Pollensa last year and Cala d'or last year. both lovely have different things to recommend. We found Pollensa more spanish in flavour all round. However, great beaches around Cala d'or - stayed same place as secreswirrels - highly recommended. Didn't see karaoke/fish bars but definitely had more english style restaurants and bars but not anything tacky.

We went to Cala D'Or this year and stayed here.
It has a fab location and we loved the resort, very cosmopolitan and not tacky at all. I never saw a karaoke bar or Fish and Chip shop hmm.
However I would not recommend it for teenagers, under 12s = perfect.

sunnyday123 Sat 12-Jan-13 09:37:39

I've also been to both and preferred cala dor. Pollens a is prettier but there's not much going on, especially for your kids ages. We stayed at the Barcelo in cala dor which is right on the beach of the nicest cove imo!

I could no way do more than a week in pollenss - I'd say its more for under 5s. Cala dor is still pretty but has fun activities for kids I.e trampolines and bouncy castles which pollensa didn't have - literally just a beach

monkey9237 Fri 11-Jan-13 18:03:59

We've stayed in both, and the part of Cala d'Or we stayed in had fish & chip shops, karaoke bars and 'English' style pubs. Pollensa didn't have any of that (not where we were anyway) and there was lots of apartments along Pine Walk right across from the beach and less touristy. It was prettier in my opinion.. I'm sure there are much more unspoiled bits of Majorca than both of these places, but I'm not sure where as we've just been to these 2 places. I definitely preferred Menorca compared to the bits of Majorca we've been to. Enjoy, wherever you go!

hpsaucy Fri 11-Jan-13 17:56:00

we stayed just outside cala dor, in cala egos last year was lovely. a few different beach and was a lot quieter than I expected, we went in August

Fayrazzled Fri 11-Jan-13 17:54:17

Oh and just to add in case it makes a difference, the children are 7 and 5.

Fayrazzled Fri 11-Jan-13 17:53:44

I am thinking about a family holiday to Majorca at the beginning of June. We had a lovely holiday in Menorca last year and I'm looking for something similar but fancied Majorca for a change. The plan is to stay in a villa or apartment with a pool and I'd like to be in walking distance of a beach and shops/restaurants. We tend to prefer smaller/less developed, 'traditional' resorts but at the same time want some choose of places to eat/ things to explore. I've never been to Majorca before- for those of you who know it, which of these would you choose, or would you choose somewhere else again? (I'm a nervous driver (on my own and my husband's behalf!) so don't want to do too much driving. I'd be grateful for any thoughts. Many thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now