If we were to do France with a 3 year old and a 9 month old, where would you recommend?

(33 Posts)
maldivemoment Thu 10-Jan-13 21:19:05

We usually holiday in the the UK and have had many brilliant holidays here but I think we need some sunshine this year!
I don't even know where to begin in terms of 'googling' and I can't face the prospect of spending HOURS online so if any of you can point me in the right direction, to get me started, I'd be most grateful.

Not really looking for a 'sit-by-the-pool' type holiday. Off the top of my head;

Ideally fairly close to airport
Campsite or self catering
Plenty to keep little ones amused
Nice beach
Close to village
Bike hire, that sort of thing
Access to pool

I'm sure I could go on and on but you get the idea.
If you can help, thank you sooooo much!

Lafaminute Sat 12-Jan-13 23:30:22

Sorry to butt in but we were recommended Ile de Re for the past several years. Having tried (and hated) the ile d'Oleron but loved the surrounding mainland we were reluctant to try Ile de Re. Last year we stayed in La Rochelle and cycled to the Ile de Re - cycled around the south east of the sland and then cycled back over the bridge. It made for a fantastic day out but I was left with the impression of a beautiful island but somewhat contrived - as in picture perfect just for all the tourists. Which is fine but I could not have stayed there for two whole weeks (or even one - I reckoned three days max. would have been sufficient) Each to their own of course but when I mentioned this to someone who had recommended the island to me they agreed and said 3 days was as much as they'd ever spent there!

Bonsoir Sun 13-Jan-13 09:24:52

A day trip to the Ile de Ré won't give you any impression at all. The whole point of Ile de Ré is to shop in the markets, buy your breakfast in the village, have the freedom to cycle to the beach and then back home without the whole family needing to be glued to one another.

LauraPashley Sun 13-Jan-13 18:56:13

Thank you for that site Bonsoir, it is doing a good job of distracting me from my work! I am shocked at the prices (booking eg a week's camping) from the UK. I am starting to get the impression it is quite an upmarket area, would that be fair to say? Low key obviously, but more affluent people being low key?!

Lafaminute why did you not like ile d'oleron?

katolla Sun 13-Jan-13 21:05:46

We used to stay at camping interlude (with eurocamp) when we were kids and we loved it. Never saw any of the island just went swimming every day and to the children's club. I think our parents got a lot of time away from us. That obviously wouldn't apply with a 3 year old and a baby though.

wearymum200 Sun 13-Jan-13 21:18:45

For the poster who was asking about nr Carcassonne, we stayed at domaine la castagne (Sorry, on phone, no links) last June. Cottage rental imo so much easier than hhotel with early to bed early to rise littl'uns. This place had little pool, trampoline ,play barn and big field for running off energy. We had a fantastic time and would def go again.
We drove from Calais, early morning shuttle and were there in time for supper.

NonnoMum Sun 13-Jan-13 21:45:52

Thanks for all these links to the campsites - they look great.

Can anyone recommend me somewhere (v v cheap) to stay if we broke up our journey down to South of France with a day or two in Disneyland Paris? Somewhere like a Formule 1 (or even a small independent place) that can cope with 5 of us in a room within a couple of hours drive of DLP?

TIA

LauraPashley Sun 13-Jan-13 22:35:00

Nonomum the keycamp etc brochures have a park 45 mins or so from DLP they do short term mobile home rentals I think?

NonnoMum Sun 13-Jan-13 22:37:31

Thank you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now