Ideas for near Stavanger Norway with DS10 and DS8?

(8 Posts)
fridayschild Sun 20-Jan-13 07:53:45

thanks very much for the ideas. My family have now decided we will all have a summer holiday together, so Norway will have to wait for another year!

Whether a family holiday is a good idea is another thread entirely....

Autumnalis Wed 09-Jan-13 23:54:48

We went to a fire engines museum which the DS (3 at the time) loved.

gofaster Wed 09-Jan-13 22:09:57

I've been a couple of times with slightly younger kids and had a great time, staying with friends though -it is mega expensive.

Oil museum (honestly!)

Stavanger archeology museum pretty dramatic soundtracks and you could make pots and stuff

Science museum in Sadnes

There's a kids farm type place that was fun and had a barn with rope swings etc sorry can't remember the name (bit hopeless but will give you ideas)

We went to a local fjord and swam and there was flying fox over the water. the people seemed to be very outdoorsy and there was loads of walking, cycling etc and cars seemed to be very considerate.

We only went in the spring but our friends kids really liked Kongeparken

Didn't find it unfriendly with the kids - its not Spain style cooing over children but not dissimilar to UK in my experience.

HTH

Autumnalis Sun 06-Jan-13 19:23:21

This was about 10 years ago but we found the locals quite UNfriendly regarding children. OTOH we might have been a bit PFB and maybe they did have a point.

poozlepants Sun 06-Jan-13 18:12:46

I have spent 2 weeks near Stavanger but it really was a cabin by a lake along a one track road sort of affair. WE were young and childless so we spent 2 weeks driving the most amazing roads and scenery but the weather was atrociously wet. There is the museum of sardine canning in Stavanger.
A cabin by the coast maybe could afford more to do for the kids if the weather was good. We have stayed at a holiday park place near Sogn Fjord but it was a sort of minigolf/tennis court sort of affair.

Autumnalis Sun 06-Jan-13 17:17:25

We flew to Oslo - the train journey would've taken forever.

DoubleMum Sun 06-Jan-13 17:14:25

We visited Stavanger last year for one day on a cruise. There's a great oil museum there (better than it sounds!) your DSs will like, with a wacky playground made of recycled elements from oil rigs at the back. Also the harbour is full, and I mean absolutely chockablock full, of jellyfish. Other than that, like the rest of the Fjords it's mostly looking beautiful (and it really does) and being really shockingly expensive. I'm sorry, I realise this doesn't help you at all. If you're going to be travelling around the area, the railway going up into the mountains at Flaam is fabulous, but there's nothing else at all at Flaam except for fabulous views across the mountains and the Fjord. There's lots to do in Oslo though including good Viking stuff.

fridayschild Sun 06-Jan-13 16:58:11

A relative of mine and her family are in Stavenger for a while and I am thinking about inviting myself to stay with the DSs in the summer. When I've seen her before we've got on well and last time her DS and my DS1 got on like a house on fire. Lovely though this has been I am thinking that we really do not know them well enough to impose on them for a whole week.

So I thought maybe a few days with them and a few days doing something else in Norway? Sadly I think time in a beautiful log cabin by the lake miles from anywhere is not going to cut it for my DSs. But centre parcs and featherdown farms have been great holidays for us in the past. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now