Where and how to take young children on holiday?

(13 Posts)
DewDr0p Mon 07-Jan-13 14:18:06

I agree with you frenchfancy it's easier by car when they are tiny but when we flew last summer with a 7 5 and 4 yo it was sooo easy.

RosinaCopper Mon 07-Jan-13 12:15:24

We went to France with twins aged nearly 2 and a 6 year old last year. We booked a house with a pool through Tots to Travel, who deal with properties in Spain, Portugal, France, Italy and a few in the Canaries. That company list what's there (stairgates, highchairs, cots etc) and it was great to not have to take all that stuff with us. The weather was rubbish when we went, though, so we couldn't use the pool and all the out of school type activities were closed, because we went in half term!

We'll probably book through them again this year.

frenchfancy Mon 07-Jan-13 11:26:29

I personally think it is easier to go by car than to fly, so I would recommend France. Get yourself a gite with a pool so the kids can swim all they want, and make sure it is heated.

Mum2Fergus Sun 06-Jan-13 22:21:59

We've been to Protur Bonaire in Cala Bona twice a year since DS was 1,now 3, and we love it! Would be going again this year but have opted for new house instead smile

DewDr0p Sun 06-Jan-13 21:05:12

Barcelona is excellent for kids - we went last June with our three and had a ball - maybe an idea to bank for next year?!

I loved Barcelona actually, and so did DS who was 3 at the time. There is everything, beach, castle, shopping, culture. And you can fly with easyjet!

Crete is possible, if you like a bit of culture? Or maybe southern Italy.
But Menorca has a shorter flight!

diabolo Sun 06-Jan-13 18:16:29

Just seen that you like to do a bit of "culture" on holiday.

Both of Menorca's big towns (Mahon and Ciutadella) are gorgeous architectural gems and the Island has more Stone age burial sites, villages and caves than anywhere else on earth.

If you do go, make sure you hire a car to see everything it has to offer. smile

diabolo Sun 06-Jan-13 18:12:20

I wholeheartedly second Menorca.

We took DS here a few times between the ages of 4-7.

www.thomascook.com/destinations/spain/arenal-den-castell/aparthotel-isla-paraiso

Big 2 bedroomed apartments, nice pools, a little entertainment (kiddie disco etc) and the resort is gorgeous, not too built up, gorgeous beach, several lovely restaurants and very pretty.

HollySheet Sun 06-Jan-13 18:11:47

Oooh replies! Thank you.

I like to do and see things when on holiday, I'm one of those boring twats that love to mooch round old ruins and castles wink

But I thought we could break the kids first overseas holiday with something quite relaxing and quiet, with uninterrupted access to a pool (they both love swimming)

I'll have a look at Menorca Framey thank you.

What sort of holidays do you like?

FrameyMcFrame Sun 06-Jan-13 17:48:45

Menorca.
2 hours flight is so easy and the whole island is basically geared up for children.
It's also a lot less touristy and more unspoilt than Majorca.
Loads of very safe beaches which are shallow and clean and lots of waterparks.
We went to Cala Galdana which was lovely and lots to do for children. We had a villa with a pool from bartle holidays
and hired a car with carseat in.

HollySheet Sun 06-Jan-13 16:28:07

I'm planning on taking my 6 yr old DS and 3 year old DD on holiday outside the UK for the first time this year.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where is good to go?

And maybe some travelling tips! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now