Norway with children and baby. In the snow. Is that mad/boring?

(8 Posts)
Rooobs Sun 06-Jan-13 19:46:24

thank you viking. I guess our pram will be useless then!

cross country skiing sounds good!

vikinglights Sun 06-Jan-13 18:02:40

yeah we use prams, but we're talking proper solid prams not strollers, you need big fixed wheels to negotiate snow. We also put serious cosytoes in our prams to keep the little ones warm. Generally for keeping warm then lots of layers of wool are good, cotton is not your friend.

Skiing wise nordic cross country skiing is much more forgiving than downhill and even quite little kids can have a go. My girls both started the winter they turned 2, and ds was having a go at 20 months. Obviously I'm talking more 'messing about in the snow' than serious 'a days trail skiing' wrt the little ones.

9 months old shouldn't be a problem for some fun activities so long as you wrap up warm

Rooobs Sun 06-Jan-13 16:11:00

skratta, that's really helpful thank you!

<STUPID QUESTION ALERT!>

do people in very snowy places use prams?? Or just slings or something?

skratta Sun 06-Jan-13 15:41:00

If you want to stay in the north of Norway, you'll be staying in the area of Finmark (the most northernly part of Norway, the part in the Arctic Circle).

Norwegians in winter will use just a warmer version of baby clothes. I'd invest in a baby snowsuit, as it will probably snow, it should be waterproof and have a hood, and a hat underneath the hood with baby mittens which might be easier to get on arrival in Norway. This is basically what everyone did with babies in Swedish Lapland (I'm from a place called Kiruna in Swedish Lapland, so I think I know what I'm talking about!).

I think package holidays can be very expensive compared to booking everything yourself. Although less hassle obviously, especially as there are a lot of activities around Finmark, it might mean that when you get their your DC would prefer a day tobogganing instead of arranged activities which most Lapland holiday places offer.

If you're looking for an area to stay in, I'd suggest Alta, which is a place right in the very north of North Norway. This might be helpful. Go onto Activities (winter) and they will give links to reliable places, I think. There are also souvenir shops, food shops, restaurants etc; and it will probably be a good idea to buy some really warm clothes there as I've found that snow suits and waterproof trousers are better quality and more suitable for the weather (obviously). Most people will speak some English.

zumo Sun 06-Jan-13 10:37:35

These are mine but I got them for about £5 each, they get very hot so must be kept in the supplied bag,
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-2012-MODEL-FIREFLY-PETROL-HAND-WARMERS-UP-TO-24HR-USE-WITH-A-SINGLE-FILL-/170947922097?pt=UK_SportingGoods_OtherSports&hash=item27cd4a48b1
They do have Babys in Norway too LOL, I am sure the kids will be well catered for, it will be the trip of a life time, I hope yu enjoy it.
Have a root around on trip advisor, yu should find somthing in the forums, cruise critic is also good

Rooobs Sat 05-Jan-13 19:29:06

oh top tips, thank you Zumo!

I've been looking at reindeer/dog sled rides. that's possible with a baby right?!

Does anyone know any resort type places?

zumo Sat 05-Jan-13 18:59:28

A friend of ours went and loved it, the best think he took was my set of four hand warmers, I got them from Ebay in China but they are sold under the Peacock and Zippo brand here, they are excellent
Baby transport is easy sledge!

Rooobs Sat 05-Jan-13 13:16:44

We want to go to Norway en famille, 3 generations with the youngest being 9 months.

We think we'd like to go when it's snowy, but we've never been skiing and we're not really hiker types but I'd LOVE to see the northern lights!

So can anyone suggest anywhere? I'm thinking somewhere where we could maybe have beginners ski/snowboard lessons or sledging or something.

And is it a nightmare with a baby in the snow? I mean, I know Norwegian people have babies hmm but how do you transport them around in the snow??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now