dh desperate to go to eygpt im not so sure?!

(22 Posts)
izzyishappilybusy Thu 10-Jan-13 00:36:23

Hated Egypt.

Could for anywhere without hustle - even before you get out of taxi they're sticking head through window.

Ds1 did learn to dive but I will never go back and I've done a fair bit of travelling.

charlearose Thu 10-Jan-13 00:30:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ZZZenAgain Sat 05-Jan-13 16:50:01

we have been twice, once 6 years ago, then 5 years ago. At that time it was peaceful enough. The first time we went to a spa hotel in Hurghada which we very much preferred to our second visit which was to Sharm el Sheik. If I can recall the name of the place we went to first, I'll come back and say. We went because dh dives and we thought it might be quite interesting to see the sights which we did, a bit each time. It was considered dodgy to drive down to Luxor but we did go and didn't pick up on any animosity. We also went to Cairo from Hurghada and loved the museum. The second visit we went across to St. Katherine's monastery which was a longish walk up the mountain.

I wouldn't go back to Sharm, it didn't really appeal to me much. A lot of jelly fish in the water where we were staying and if your dc do not have full suits on (legs and arms) and get stung it is painful . Saw a few screaming dc as a result. I did not feel unsafe off the resort but we simply took a taxi to where we wanted to go and arranged for the taxi driver to collect us later on. I don't know where you would go outside of your hotel area which is not a huge tourist trap, so there will be crowds of other tourists wherever you go IYSWIM

I thought the airport was efficient and whenever we booked anything via the hotel(s), felt we were very well taken care of. I don't think I have ever felt that well taken care of on an excursion anywhere else really. THe hotels work with tour guides and absolutely everything is organised for you, it is like a child being kindly taken in hand by an adult. Despite the crowds and hustlers everywhere, it still felt quite relaxed for that reason.

Re the Russians. Yes, there are a lot of Russians around I found too. Not in our first hotel but in some of the neighbouring resorts and in Sharm almost everyone assumes you are Russian, I think it must be becoming a very popular destination for Russians.A shopkeeper mistook us for Russian when dd and I were strolling along past his shop and called out for us to look inside. I said, we are not Russian and he was very apologetic about it. "I am very sorry, Madam, very sorry". I hadn't been insulted but I did get the impression they are not thrilled with the Russians. From what I saw in Sharm el Sheik this is understandable.

MrsJohnDeere Sat 05-Jan-13 16:38:16

Sorry, only drinking bottled water

MrsJohnDeere Sat 05-Jan-13 16:36:54

Dh goes to Egypt a lot for work (but Cairo and environs never Sharm, in fairness). Every time he gets a nasty stomach upset, despite staying at good hotels, not drinking bottles water etc.

Rosa Sat 05-Jan-13 16:28:42
Rosa Sat 05-Jan-13 16:28:16

This puts me off http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-living-abroad/travel-advice-by-country/middle-east-north-africa/egypt ...the tiny tiny green bit Sharm is deemed ok to go but the rest not. its all a bit too close for comfort for me.

BelaLugosisShed Sat 05-Jan-13 16:16:14

We did a 3 centre in Egypt a few years ago ending up in Sharm - we stayed at Hilton waterfalls which was fab, well away from Naama bay ( think Blackpool with constant hassle) we were in a small resort and could walk up to the market and there were a few hotels and restaurants dotted about within the bay .
It was the Russian holidaymakers who kind of spoiled things, very loud and arrogant, they would clear out the restaurant at breakfast time like a plague of locusts, the staff hated them and treated us like royalty - a couple of quid a day in tips and the pool boys saved us loungers in the shade and would bring our drinks and food.
The snorkelling was amazing, but you had to walk way out on a moving pontoon which was interesting and closed in rough weather.
We went in April and the weather was perfect, we were cold at first because it had been 47 degrees in Luxor!
We thought about going there again this year to the Sensatori resort but we're going to Turkey instead in June.
Sharm airport's not too bad, we flew in from Cairo and out to Heathrow with Egypt air.

Jakadaal Fri 04-Jan-13 21:54:05

I have been before with a (female) friend and felt very safe. The centre of Naama Bay was very westernised. Planning to go back in Oct this year with DC (10, 9) and DH so that we can take DD diving. I loved it there and the temperatures were absolutely perfect. Agree with the experience of the Sharm Shits .... not pleasant but will be extra vigilant with DC in tow.

beeny Fri 04-Jan-13 21:49:14

The Rixos in Sharmh is amazing

chipsandpeas Mon 31-Dec-12 22:30:53

i have been to nabq bay as well as sharks bay, sharks bay was great as the hotel i was at (the hilton) was a 5 min walk away from soho sq which has bars and resturants and shops but you dont get any hassle there - was a good escape at night from the hotel even just for a wander

i was at the tropicana sea beach splash resort in nabq bay and i loved it there just not much to do outside the hotel

steppyhen Mon 31-Dec-12 19:53:32

al have a look on trip advisor twinkle thanks

Twinklestarstwinklestars Mon 31-Dec-12 19:51:46

We've been to hurghada too, jungle aqua park is brilliant, and really clean with brilliant pools that were quiet all the time as people were in the water park.

steppyhen Mon 31-Dec-12 19:51:46

chips and peas- where was best in eygpt in your opinion?

chipsandpeas Mon 31-Dec-12 19:43:15

have been to sharm twice (as well as luxor and cairo) and loved it, didnt feel unsafe at all (well except at the pyramids with all the scammers kicking about)

all i can suggest is do your research right about hotels, some do get awful reviews on trip advisors for good reason, sharm isnt a plce where i would go to a shit hotel

Twinklestarstwinklestars Mon 31-Dec-12 19:42:57

We would go back tomorrow, just turned 3 ds asks every day. To go to Egypt again.

We didn't venture much out of the hotel and went in August so it was hot but lovely.

steppyhen Mon 31-Dec-12 19:37:16

after eight - god knows he has been on about it for ages hes only been on a few holidays before he met me , turkey,ibiza and prague , then when we got married we went to cape verde for our honeymoon, thats our only holiday we have had together and i disliked cape verde was scared to go off the resort didnt feel safe, food wasnt great and not much to do on island !

i have been to few places barcellona, teneriefe, paris, lanzarote, cyprus, majorca, cape verde, mexico. loved mexico stayed in cancun would go back in a shot but hubby not so sure!! i just dont fancy eygpt! doing my research though need to get some sort of holiday booked to beat the jan blues!

VivaLeBeaver Mon 31-Dec-12 19:30:23

I thought it was a bit of a shit hole when I went to Sharm.

Friends had gone and loved it, their photos look great so me and dd went to the same hotel. Hotel was ok, apart from everyone seems to come down with the worlds worst shits for 24 hrs at some point.

I did venture to small supermarket with a female friend out of the hotel complex. Didn't dare go into Naama Bay. I did find the men to be quite in your face and didn't like it. Maybe this is because we were all females? And I'm not easily other end by this sort of stuff, have backpacked round the world, hitchiked solo across Africa, etc. but I was creeped out in Shaarm big time.

We did go quad biking in the desert which was great fun. The snorkelling at the beach was nice. Weather was lovely. I think if you want hot weather and are happy to stay by the pool with a book and average food it's an ok destination.

I think if you want to visit places, do stuff, etc there are a million better places to go.

mumblechum1 Mon 31-Dec-12 19:29:34

I really really wanted to go for 5 days between Xmas and NY but dh refused as we wouldn't have our own pool hmm Crap excuse imo.

The Four Seasons at Sharm is supposed to be very nice, and large enough that if you didn't want to go outside the resort, you wouldn't have to.

It is incredibly cheap, so fantastic value for anyone just wanting a bit of sunshine to break up this miserable winter.

Tobagostreet Mon 31-Dec-12 19:25:39

Been once - July 2011.

Very clean, very safe.

Would go back at the drop of a hat. People are lovely - at the time we went tourism was slow because of the troubles, so everyone was very thankful to have our custom.

Go - you'll love it.

AfterEightMintyy Mon 31-Dec-12 19:23:50

Why is he so desperate to go there? What makes is a desirable destination in particular, as opposed to all the other hot and sunny tourist spots available?

steppyhen Mon 31-Dec-12 19:20:16

can anyone share some experiences with eygpt?! dh is desperate to go to sharm ?! but a few friends of mine have been before and said they didnt feel safe going off the resort? any positive stories ?! any reccomendations?
many thanks steppy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now