Donegal beach cottage, does anyone have any recommendations?

(16 Posts)
FrameyMcFrame Tue 22-Jan-13 21:49:23

Just marking my place, like the idea of this

slowlycatchymonkey Tue 22-Jan-13 21:27:04

We stayed in an amazing house in Tullagh Bay last summer, the house has a fab garden which leads onto a stunning beach, totally secluded. It's on holiday lettings and the house goes by the same name

Mercedes Mon 21-Jan-13 20:27:50

We would recommend Rathmullan in Donegal. Gorgeous huge beach, horse riding, sailing school, cafe, fish and chips, children's playground, charity shop and some cottages with garden leading on to beach, ferry, fishing.

Crap at links but if you google Rathmullan cottages you will find some.

You will need a car

Auto correct oops Mullaghmore and Killybegs

Rossonowlagh ......15 years with 5 kiddies.a 2 mile long SAFE beach ( as safe as can be) sand dunes and not much else.Wetsuits are a must ,wellies and raincoats.Cliffs rocks and loads to drive around as Sligo mullah more bun doran one way and Donegal town and illy begs the other.A car is absolutely a necessity.

MissHilly Mon 21-Jan-13 10:41:35

We spent a few days at Great Arch Cottage near Portsalon last summer, it was gorgeous. Here is a link to their facebook page. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Great-Arch-Cottage/144635615558669?sk=reviews
Donegal Cottage Holidays is also a nice site with good quality houses to rent. You will definitely need a car.

Also recommend Inishowen - whole peninsula gorgeous, Five Finger Strand is a particularly amazing beach, loads of cottages for rent. Heading up there myself again in April - really short drive from Derry if you're flying, always loads of good hotel deals for Ballyliffin and Redcastle on Groupon as well

makinglemonade Thu 03-Jan-13 21:14:46

Donegal had wonderful beaches. Second the suggestion that you need a car and wetsuits.
Inisowen is gorgeous. We regularly holiday in Moville, lovely beaches in your doorstep and a beautiful little town.
It's within driving distance to lots of great places of interest.

We have stayed in a gorgeous cottage called cosy cottage (sorry cant link on my phone). Also stayed in a great townhouse on the malin road.

MummyAnnabella Wed 02-Jan-13 22:19:48

Look on Donegal cottage holidays . Com
We have a house there which we used to rent out through that site.
You can rent it if you want but it is 2 miles to beach though beach (carrick fin) is amazing. Will need a car most places in Donegal if you want to get around at all.

midnightisaplace Tue 01-Jan-13 19:54:07

The beach at Naran near Glenties is great. I spent most of my childhood summer holidays near there and it was great. I had a quick look and you couldn't get closer to the beach than this house http://www.rent.ie/short-lets/Beach-House-Naran-Co-Donegal/17532/

ThePathanKhansWitch Mon 31-Dec-12 21:34:20

Oh thankyou, the whole of Donegal looks so beautiful, it's mindboggling.

janek Mon 31-Dec-12 21:34:16
usuallydormant Mon 31-Dec-12 21:16:14

Plenty of beautiful beaches in Donegal, but a car ( and a wetsuit grin) are a must. Downings and the Atlantic Drive is gorgeous and might be worth a look. Also Glencolumcille has amazing beaches but is quite isolated. An alternative might be to stay in Donegal Town, which I really like and drive to the many beaches around.

janek Mon 31-Dec-12 20:49:01

You would definitely need a car, there is an amazing beach in port salon about 45 mins from letterkenny, there are holiday cottages at the end of it with the most spectacular views, i'll see what google can come up with when i have a chance...

ThePathanKhansWitch Mon 31-Dec-12 20:44:19

Shameless bump.

ThePathanKhansWitch Mon 31-Dec-12 14:33:09

Would love a self catering on or near a beach, i not familiar with the Donegal coast, so have no idea.

I,d be with my 5yo who is happiest pottering on a beach. Somewhere near a village/town would be great.
Any ideas?
Would i need to hire a car do you think?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now