Where is good value for a young family - dc's 2 and 5

(11 Posts)
cheerup Thu 27-Dec-12 20:32:46

Ah, I didn't see your bit about food... the only thing I wouldn't recommend about holland is the food but if you stop off on the way, Belgium is a great place to stock up on chips, beer and chocolate which I think covers nearly all the food groups wink

cheerup Thu 27-Dec-12 20:30:16

Or, how about a Centreparcs type place in the Netherlands? We went to Landal het Vennenbos in October and it was great. Much smaller than Longleat and without all the very expensive activities (no spa etc) but a fab free indoor play area for the kids and a sub tropical pool with lazy river and slides plus usual bike hire, lake etc. Just down the road from De Efteling theme park and lots of Euro cities not too far for a day trip. I love the Netherlands - the people are really friendly, their English is amazing and it's all so clean and tidy! £640 for 7 nights from 23 August plus petrol/ferry.

hope you find somewhere!

cheerup Thu 27-Dec-12 20:11:28

Another alternative, especially if you're happy with a tent, is have a look at Venue holidays. We're going with them to Park Albatros in Tuscany at the end of August and they are very reasonable. They don't have the branding of Eurocamp or the exclusive kids clubs but they are half (if not more than half) the price and lots of campsite have very good kids clubs that any guests can use.

Also, the Daily Mail offer is valid during the May and October half term if that's any use to you.

Fairylea Thu 27-Dec-12 19:59:33

Some havens are ok. I suggest looking them up on trip advisor first!

Wild duck haven is lovely. It's quieter than most and set in a centre parcs type wooded area .. a five min drive to the beach. Norfolk area.

Seashore great yarmouth however I absolutely hated. We were surrounded by groups of teenagers drinking and never got any sleep. It was awful.

I think it's a bit hit and miss. And I'd stay away from the bottom standard caravans... deluxe ones are generally nice.

Park resorts are yuck in my experience.

But that's just my experience !!

wonderstuff Thu 27-Dec-12 19:24:46

I teach so very much tied to school holidays - shock at those prices for Eurocamp - I know I should be very grateful for all my lovely holidays - but the price of anything in Aug is just so much more than in July or Sept. I do think Eurocamp would be good - we do camp in the UK and enjoy it, the idea of camping abroad and not dragging all our stuff with us definitely appeals.

I did Park Resorts last year - never again.

cheerup Thu 27-Dec-12 18:44:39

Mobile home in France/Spain/Italy/Netherlands/Germany/Switzerland? If you're not tied to main school hols the Daily Mail are launching their annual offer next week and you can choose from nearly all the Eurocamp sites for between £5 and £20 a night per person inc. ferry crossing for any time except mid July - end Aug. Easyjet or BA are good for cheap Euro flights if you don't fancy a long drive and def want the sun Should be more than doable for a £1000 and cheaper than the UK when you get there as you don't have to 'work around' the weather. Google 'Daily Mail Breakfree holidays' and click on the European holidays tab. They also do UK but having been to a Park Resorts once through a Daily Mail offer, it's not something I would recommend. I love Eurocamping though and could recommend several sites if you're interested.

wonderstuff Thu 27-Dec-12 17:56:51

Bluestones does look nice, and not too, too pricey - for the summer hols.. Definitely a contender. Love MN

wonderstuff Thu 27-Dec-12 17:49:39

Centerparcs is ££££ in summer holidays sad Would like somewhere where dc's can meet other children, cottage hols in the past have been hard work as we have had to entertain dd constantly. Haven maybe.. is it nice?

Celestialcloud Thu 27-Dec-12 17:49:24

I haven't read all the details but my sister mentioned this deal to me:

www.bluestonewales.com/content/discover/seasonal_breaks/january_breaks_2013/under5s_midweek_break.aspx

Fairylea Thu 27-Dec-12 17:47:10

Center parcs? Haven? Cottage in the UK?

wonderstuff Thu 27-Dec-12 17:45:52

No idea where to start looking, need it to be under a grand, lots to entertain the dc's access to great food for dh and I.. Ideas?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now