Food advice for Egypt pls with 18 mo DS

(4 Posts)
bigTillyMincePie Sat 01-Dec-12 17:44:59

We went to Sharm in the summer and ate everything in sightblush None of us were ill! Have been to Egypt twice before (once backpacking and a couple of years ago on independent tour around with DC) and not got ill. Similarly friends who went at half-term (both 5*) but none of us has a young child.

It might be worth taking powdered milk and using mineral water though we didn't have any problems with the milk there.

givemeaclue Mon 26-Nov-12 13:39:56

Hi yes its buffet food that often causes poisoning because it is not freshly cooked. Try to see if there are fresh options eg they grill steak fresh at point of order. Everyone I know who has gone to Egypt has been ill even at five star resorts. have seen posts on here from people who have been fine though so hopefully people can recommend do, you where they stayed if they weren't ill. Have you checked tripadvisor, always lots of comments on there about food poisoning in Egypt. Having had a terrible time after being poisoned on hols (not Egypt) its put me off going to places where lots of people get poisoning hence my interest!

beeny Mon 26-Nov-12 13:34:36

I stayed at the Grand Azur there are two the food was excellent with two year old.They had great choice.Mine had everything.I would take some backup but not too much.

Devonlover Mon 26-Nov-12 13:30:44

We're going to Egypt with our 18 mo son for Xmas, and I'm getting worried about the food side of things. We're staying in Sharm which is v touristy, in a decent hotel, but the nurse who gave him his jabs last week was very negative about the risk of him getting ill from food poisoning - some things I knew about, like obviously avoiding unbottled water, steering clear of salads etc, but she mentioned yoghurt was a no-no unless it's in individual pots, avoid cooked rice, cheese ?, in fact most dairy, chicken etc.

I don't want him to live on bananas and chick peas for ten days, so I wondered if anybody had some tips on good options? We'll be eating buffet style, all inclusive, in the hotel most of the time. Are we best off just taking a load of ready meals? Don't really want to do this as DS is a good, adventurous eater and it seems a bit unnecessary, plus unhealthy and expensive, but maybe some as a back-up.

Also, milk - am I best off taking powdered milk to make up with mineral water? DS will probably not like it, but I guess that's the best option?

Any advice would be great. Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now