Morocco

(7 Posts)
bekind Sun 13-Jan-13 19:12:08

we have now booked a week in Marrakech; it became easiest in terms of finding a package and flights but also the hotel we've chosen has a huge pool so we're ticking the sporty box with that; I'm really looking forward to going there again, albeit 20years on!?

sorry HyvaPaiva that your recent experience spoiled all those fond memories

HyvaPaiva Tue 08-Jan-13 21:21:09

I absolutely love(d) Essaouira too and went there quite a few times. I must say though that I'm just back and the whole place seems different right now. We were followed one night by some guy - not a tout or someone selling goods, just a nasty piece of work - to the extent that he was threatening us. The next day, another guy came out of nowhere and tried to punch my DP in the face, screaming at us, literally from nothing to that. The guys all around laughed while my DP was attacked. Normally there's a real friendliness there and it was gone. You get used to the relentless selling/banter but the threatening behaviour and violence was weird and scary and very unusual. The atmosphere had more tension bubbling under and it wasn't good. Marrakech was as awesome as ever and there are of course some brilliant people in Essaouira but it has changed in general 'feeling' for the worse. I was really sad about this, it was always a bit of a 'haven' for us.

bekind Thu 29-Nov-12 06:48:07

Thanks folks. Shall look at Essaouira.

Selks Mon 26-Nov-12 13:48:58

Big yes to Essaouira. I love it there.

Beanbagz Mon 26-Nov-12 13:47:18

Been to Morocco 3 times (cycling/walking holdiays) and would say that Agadir is a bit grim.

If you want to be by the beach why not have a look at Essaouira instead? I think there's surfing a little further North of the town though i'm not sure about other watersports as it's not really my thing.

givemeaclue Mon 26-Nov-12 10:06:25

yes, not very picturesque, bit grotty, with no 'culture'and I wouldnt go back.. but it was a lot of years ago. i think there must be nicer places in morocco

bekind Sat 24-Nov-12 07:27:47

Thoughts on heading to Agadir on holiday at Easter next year. Anyone experience of the area please? I have been to, and loved, Marrakesh but want the combination of beach, water sports etc and the culture of Morocco. Many thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now