This is what I want: sunshine, very upmarket, not more than 5 hours away

(25 Posts)
mumblechum1 Mon 12-Nov-12 13:00:38

Thanks everyone! Have finally settled on the Seychelles, even though it's longer haul, as dh can tag a couple of days leave on unexpectedly. Looking forward to February now!

Cheers

Mumbles

hf128219 Mon 12-Nov-12 11:20:04

Jordan

FuriousRox Sun 11-Nov-12 05:29:25

Turkey! Kalkan is lovely as are other little towns in that area. Loads to do in the region or just lie on patara beach - fab holiday and good value for your luxury. Lucky you!

MerryChristMoose Sun 11-Nov-12 03:28:41

Ooh Oman. Take a look at Zighy Bay .....
Or The Chedi

They're both worth the extra time on a plane.

How about Gozo? Good diving, lots of churches and historical stuff. Not sure about the 5* hotel though.

Bearandcub Sun 11-Nov-12 03:00:41

Is Oman too far?

mumblechum1 Sun 11-Nov-12 02:12:55

www.fourseasons.com/istanbul/photo_and_video/?c=t&_s_icmp=mmenu
Mrs Shackleton this was my birthday surprise; 2 days in this rather fab suite then the other 2 days at the Bosphorus 4 seasons on the waterfront.

mrsshackleton Mon 05-Nov-12 19:51:02

Ooh you lucky thing! Please report back

mumblechum1 Mon 05-Nov-12 18:49:26

Thanks Mrs S. I actually told dh yesterday that I'm taking him away for his birthday (he doesn't like surprises, I do), and have shortlisted either Four Seasons Sharm or the Riyad de Ivoire Noir in Marrakech. Haven't heard back from him.

Tomorrow morning he's taking me on a 5 day holiday to celebrate my birthday somewhere which Ineed my passport for <<excited>>. I love surprises so don't know where.

mrsshackleton Mon 05-Nov-12 18:03:04

Four Seasons in Sharm is supposed to be divine. I believe there are chavvy bits of Sharm but Four Seasons most definitely is not. TBH, though, Sharm is a resort town so there's little local culture, you stay by the pool, snorkel and read. I'd say Luxor and/or Aswan if you want culture rather than Hurghada - H is hardly the most charming place either, even if is "real". Loads to see in Luxor and you sunbathe by the Nile. I'd recommend the Sheraton there. No snorkelling though, obv

mumblechum1 Sun 04-Nov-12 10:17:48

Oooh, Urghada sounds like our cup of tea! Will try & find out the nearest airport.

I don't know why I'm being so indecisive about this. Have just been on the Four Seasons website again so if I can't find a 5* place in Urghada will plump for the 4S, as at least it has a private beach and the premier suites have nice private plunge pools.

Thanks Gordon

gordonpym Sun 04-Nov-12 09:43:49

In Egypt, what about Urghada? You'll still have the sun, red sea, etc... and as it is a real town and not an artificial village, you can wander in the streets, have a nice tea in a local café, shop in the souk. Being in the west coast, it's easy to go and visit Luxor which is amazing.
We've been to both, Sharm and Urghada. Sharm was a typical "resort holiday", Urghada was more pleasant and interesting.

Oh I really like Madeira too.

<unhelpful>

mumblechum1 Sat 03-Nov-12 14:59:09

Madeira is lovely, we went there for Christmas once. <<am torn between Marrakech and Madeira>>

Off to do some more Googling

Madeira - A really beautiful island with lots of fantastic hotels to choose from.

Yokel Sat 03-Nov-12 14:54:43

Sardinia!

mumblechum1 Sat 03-Nov-12 14:49:49

Sans kids. We're 50, so almost empty nesters.

mumblechum1 Sat 03-Nov-12 14:49:26

Oooh thanks everyone, for some reason I'd forgotten about Marrakesh and Malta. Will also look at Forte dei Marmi but will need to look at weather.

Thanks smile

theoriginalandbestrookie Sat 03-Nov-12 14:48:26

With or sans kids ?

I would go to a high end riad in Marrakesh, if you can afford it some of the best ones are really luxurious and then you have everything that Marrakesh has to offer know your doorstep. Its a really different experience to a hotel.

WildThongyoumakemyringsting Sat 03-Nov-12 14:38:19

Forte dei Marmi on the Tuscan Riveria?
posh

cairnterrier Sat 03-Nov-12 14:31:51

Malta - am not sure of the temps in February though but v interesting to wander around, taxis v cheap and locals very warm and friendly.

Can highly recommend the Westin Dragonara Resort hotel. We got the best deal through the EasyJet website if that helps.

EdwardtheEagle Sat 03-Nov-12 14:31:06

Cannes?

mumblechum1 Sat 03-Nov-12 14:29:36

Tell me more Mousy - any experience? Thx

MousyMouse Sat 03-Nov-12 14:29:01

canaries?

mumblechum1 Sat 03-Nov-12 14:24:46

Please can anyone help me find somewhere for dh's birthday in February. I was originally thinking the Four seasons, Sharm el Sheikh as we like diving and the 4 Seasons is always reliable BUT have been put off by descriptions of Sharm on various travel forms as "chav hell", "full of Brits in football shirts"and saying that Sharm is basically a building site/industrial estate.

Having never been there I have no idea whether to believe that or not.

We are both 50, like wandering round interesting little side streets, diving, snorkelling, reading in the sunshine. We normally go to places like the Maldives, California or Tuscany where we have a private garden and private beach/pool but don't want to go that far away for 4 nights.

So does anyone have any ideas for somewhere with a lot of privacy, 5* luxury, but interesting stuff to do/look at outside the hotel?

Thanks

Mumbles

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now