Lapland

(5 Posts)
sunnyday123 Thu 18-Oct-12 22:10:53

Do avoid a day trip - nearly every review is bad and the cost diffence between a few nights and day trip is minimal. It's a 3 hour flight with 2 hours airport time either side.

sunnyday123 Thu 18-Oct-12 22:08:10

We're going this year with thomsons for 3 nights inc trips and Santa. This is only their 2 nd year of going Lapland and the people I know who've been have loved it but resorts differ lots.

There's been lots of threads recently so do a quick search. Prices early summer were about £2100-400 for 3 nights but are more expensive at the minute. (although are dropping by the day).

Most reviews say avoid rovaneimi as meant to be more commercial and last year there was no snow early dec!

Cosmos have cheap deals to Levi, 3 nights for family of four inc activities and Santa for about £2050 which is very cheap for lapland

doowpro Thu 18-Oct-12 11:35:37

I SOOOO want to do this: see Santa, stay in a glass igloo, husky rides, the lot. There is a good review here

Lavendersbluedillydilly1969 Thu 18-Oct-12 09:16:05

We did a day trip to Lapland 2 years ago with a well known family holiday company. When we got to the ice hotel with the sleigh rides and huskies etc we were told we could have one go on each thing (and they only last a few minutes) and the rest of the time we could get something to eat, visit the ice bar and shops to spend money or mess about in the snow. The visit to Santa in the woods was the most disappointing thing ever. The ride there was great, the elves were fantastic and it is really picturesque but Santa himself was about 20, with obviously false nose, beard etc and as miserable as sin. My children were heartbroken and I could have cheerfully strangled him. We ended up telling them that Santa must have been sick and that was a stand in ad it couldnt possibly be the man himself.
It ruined our Christmas that year and not sure they believe since the trip.
The trip itself was expensive fun, my kids couldn't understand why Santa gave them a rubbish soft toy with the name of the company on it.
The moral of this story is research carefully and do not go budget as its just not worth spoiling the magic.

MrsFruitcake Thu 18-Oct-12 07:18:50

DH and I had planned to go on a weekend break to Budapest in December but my DM has now decided she'd rather not look after the DCs now!

So that got me thinking about places we can go with the DCs...Lapland!

Anyone have any experience of Lapland at that time of year, companies to use etc. I know the cost can be quite high and we are on a bit of a budget. I'm hoping it can be done, otherwise it's Budapest for all four of us!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now