Anyone been on holiday to Channel Islands.....Guernsey or Jersey?

(9 Posts)
EdithWeston Sat 03-Nov-12 14:48:31

Jersey is considered brash by Channel Islands standards, and a sleepy backwater by just about any others.

It's a lovely place to take children: Durrell zoo, castles, all sorts of activities and great beaches.

vjg13 Sat 03-Nov-12 14:40:33

We went to Guernsey and Jersey about ten years ago. Both have lovely beaches but we preferred Guernsey as it is prettier and more old fashioned in a charming way.

cm22v077 Mon 15-Oct-12 16:42:32

I went to Guernsey last year to visit a friend and thought it was lovely! Herm is definitely worth a visit too, i'm smiling just thinking about the place!

Chewbecca Sat 13-Oct-12 21:25:29

We spent 5 days in Jersey last May half term (or could've been the year before...)
We liked it, the journey was super quick, we ate well and we went to quick a few interesting places such as the Jersey War tunnels.
We felt 5 days was plenty though, it was smaller than I expected and it rained so we felt we'd pretty much exhausted all the indoor options we fancied.
Have not been to Guernsey so can't compare but we felt Jersey was worth a visit.

Bunbaker Sat 13-Oct-12 13:35:37

Interestingly the woman that does the garden tours on Sark likes the Scilly Isles to holiday in. I would love to visit the Scilly Isles again, but living in the North of England makes the logistics of getting there rather expensive and time consuming.

I love Sark, it is so magical and other timelike. Exploring the island is a bit like a boys' own adventure. You can also get boat trips to go round the island. You can also visit Herm which has a beautiful beach

justbogoffnow Sat 13-Oct-12 13:20:25

I think we'd want to spend some time on Sark too, sounds wonderful smile. Tresco (Isles of Scilly] is free of traffic, bicycles only and has that idyllic feel too. Thanks for posting the info.

Bunbaker Sat 13-Oct-12 13:16:03

I have been to Sark three times. We flew to Guernsey and then got the ferry over. It is a fantastic place for children - loads of places to explore, no traffic except for tractors, negligable crime rate, beautiful scenery. It makes me think of what Britain must have been like 50 years ago.

The only important thing to remember is the tide times. You can around the island by walking, cycling or pony and trap. I just love Sark and want to go back.

justbogoffnow Fri 12-Oct-12 11:30:26

Bump smile

justbogoffnow Fri 12-Oct-12 04:55:26

My dc's have been watching a programme about Guernsey and want to have a holiday there. I went to Jersey about 20 years ago and hated it (just remember lots of shops selling cigarette, alcohol and watches). To be fair I was only there for a 2 day conference, so little chance to explore.

Any thoughts in which island would be the best to visit? As the dc's are quite fixed on Guernsey, this would be my first choice, but keeping options open at the mo.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now