Can anyone give me some inspiration for where to go at half term?

(17 Posts)
Portofino Mon 08-Oct-12 12:42:42

Have a look at Landal.com. I was just looking at Het Vennenbos here in Holland for someone else - and you can book a 4 night mid week stay from 299 euros of 499 euros for a week. Like Centerparcs but much, much cheaper....

Rattitude Sun 07-Oct-12 13:55:27

Try skyscanner.net. I think you can just ask for dates and it supplies you with possible destinations.

VivaLeBeaver Sun 07-Oct-12 12:45:28

I need a website where I don't have to input a destination or a departure airport - that just says I want to go away on these dates what have you got.

On TravelRepublic I just lose the will to live changing destinations and airports to cover every possible combination.

WildThongyoumakemyringsting Sun 07-Oct-12 12:18:34

Have a look on Travel Republic website. They still have some late deals for October, I can recommend Carvoiro (sp?) as we were there last year with ds13.

VivaLeBeaver Sun 07-Oct-12 12:12:43

Eurostar is a fortune that week as well.

I've always wanted to go to Krakow but think I'll wait till dd is a bit older as I'd like to visit Auswitch and think she's a bit young.

Could you get a city centre Paris Hotel and get the eurostar?

krakow is brilliant too!

VivaLeBeaver Sun 07-Oct-12 12:05:42

I had been looking at PremierInn type places on the outskirts of Paris as I'd need somewhere to park the car. Just got nervous of some of the reviews of dodgy suburbs and walking back from train stations to the hotel.

If you can, stay a night in Rotterdam too. They have a great great zoo and some fab buildings to look around too.

shrimponastick Sun 07-Oct-12 12:03:26

It's the mini cruises which are on 2fpr1. From either Hull or Dover. Cheaper tp leave not on Fri or Sat.

Yes flights to canaries won't be cheap. Half term and all.

Drive to France?
Stay a few days on a holjday
Park or similar and public transport into Paris?

Soditall Sun 07-Oct-12 12:02:56

Cornwall is amazing any time of the year.We stay near Looe,even though it's cold there are so many amazing places to go indoors on rainy days and on dry but cold days there are loads of amazing zoo's,farms,theme parks,museums.

Lots of the attractions provide kennels from around £5 for the day,so you don't have to worry about dogs.

The Moors are lovely in dry weather as well(as long as not foggy)we've found open areas before and gone and flown kites.

We go a couple of times a year and still always find new places to go.

If you fancy going there and want any suggestions for places to visit,I'm happy to help.

VivaLeBeaver Sun 07-Oct-12 12:01:19

I've found the 2 for 1 mini cruises - £87 return and we can stay an extra night in Amsterdam if we sort out our own accomadation so think we'll do that. Thanks ShrimponaStick

VivaLeBeaver Sun 07-Oct-12 11:55:14

DD would love to go to Tenerife but I can't find flights cheap enough. Failing that she'd like Egypt or Center Parcs - both of which are too expensive and I don't like Egypt.

We "did" London last year and had a lovely time. We went May half term and camped near Greenwich.

VivaLeBeaver Sun 07-Oct-12 11:52:50

I was just looking at the p&0 website and they quoted me £600 return ferry for both of us!!!! Will go back and see if I can find a 2for1 code, bet it doesn't run at half term. Thanks.

lljkk Sun 07-Oct-12 11:52:07

Bit late to get in anywhere for cheap rates, I fear.
Heck I'd go for the Canaries. But that's just me sitting here shivering!
Or Cape Verde (am desperate to go there).
In reality we are "doing" London: first time we've ever gone there to act like tourists.
I would have thought almost anywhere would be an adventure for an 11yo, have you asked what she'd like? Mine actually wants to see Tudor gravestones (strange girl like her mother ).

shrimponastick Sun 07-Oct-12 11:49:29

If you fancy Amsterdam p and o are doing 2for1 on the mini cruises. I was considerimg taking DS. You can exxtend your trip by booking hotel yourself for xtra night or two.

Short reply as on phone. Just the Amsterdam caught my eye

VivaLeBeaver Sun 07-Oct-12 11:45:20

dd is 11 btw.

I'm also happy to do ferry and drive if that works out cheaper than flying to places.

VivaLeBeaver Sun 07-Oct-12 11:44:44

Me and dd. Ideally I don't want to spend more than £400-£500 on travel and accomodation. I'm happy with basic accomodation such as hostels as long as they're clean and we can get a private room.

Would Amsterdam be nice in Oct?

Or other thoughts were to stay in the UK somewhere and rent a cottage, which would save having to put the dog in kennels as well. Just no idea what part of the UK, would Scotland be too cold?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now