Can anyone recommend cheapest hotel in Amsterdam suitable for kids

(9 Posts)
suburbophobe Sun 28-Oct-12 17:00:02

The botel that Gobblers recommended has been moved to Noord (north shore, behind CS), quite far out. I would mean taking the ferry there and back every time, and looks far from the quay - they do run 24/7 though.

I'd stick to Amsterdam "proper"....if only for time not wasted on travel if there for only a few days.

www.tropenmuseum.nl/5853

This is a great place too, in a beautiful building, next door to Oosterpark and up the road from the "nr. 1 market in NL" Dappermarkt (loads of cheap clothes and tropical foods and great for strolling and people watching).

I think tram nr. 9 passes by.

Here's another website for general info:

www.iamsterdam.com/en-GB/Experience

MumofAJB Mon 08-Oct-12 17:49:39

Sorry didn't reply before, we postponed our trip cos flights were so expensive. Hoping to go in November now. Thanks for all the tips, will be v helpful.

Lonecatwithkitten Tue 02-Oct-12 21:10:17

I required a crowbar to remove my DD from NEMO. We did look at the children's section of the Anne Frank house website before going so she was prepared and bought web tickets.

loopsngeorge Sat 29-Sep-12 21:27:48

We stayed in the Best Western Museum hotel, right next door to the Van Gogh and Rijksmuseum. Can't remember the exact price but I'm sure it was reasonable. It was a lovely area and we could walk everywhere, including Anne Frank's house. Also tram and bus stops nearby so it was easy to get further afield.

GobblersKnob Fri 28-Sep-12 11:52:55

I have to recommend this because it's so cool, but then I haven't stayed there for about 12 years, so may not be as good as it was.

Otherwise if you want cheap there are loads of B&B's in Amsterdam, but it means being brave and not booking.

BikeShed Fri 28-Sep-12 11:49:31

As far as accommodation is concerned, Amsterdam is definitely not cheap. You could try airbnb.com - a friend of mine has stayed at some superb places using them. I'd try staying in or near the Museumbuurt area.

Re things to do: my 10-yr old dd still likes going on a boat tour of the canals (departures near Central Station); there's of course Rijksmuseum (Night Watch etc) but also Scheepvaartmuseum (maritime museum - recently reopened after extensive renovation, it's supposed to be great) and NEMO (science centre, for kids). The zoo (Artis) is also wonderful. Re Anne Frank house: buy your tickets online beforehand, that way you'll avoid the massive queues!
Feel free to PM me if you want more tips ...

Portofino Fri 28-Sep-12 09:02:50

I have stayed in the Ibis - here which is near to the Central Station. Amsterdam hotel rooms always look really pricey to me.

MumofAJB Fri 28-Sep-12 00:01:00

Meant to say cheapish not cheapest, bloomin autocorrect.

MumofAJB Fri 28-Sep-12 00:00:01

Taking my 10 year old dd and friend to Amsterdam for the weekend in october, and looking for somewhere reasonable (1 or 2 star), out of red light district, but central if possible. Would also love to hear any recommendations for 10 year old activities, only firm plan is to take them to Anne frank house as they've just read the diary. Any suggestions would be fab...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now