So its impossible to get into Colyton Grammar ?

(186 Posts)
HoratioHappened Fri 06-Nov-09 16:20:01

My middle child came home from school and told me some of her friends are going to take the 11 plus for Colyton next year. She said she wants to do it as well. We decided she could have a go if she wanted.

However, I was having a coffee with a friend with kids at a local private school who told me it was hopless as they only take kids from private schools these days and she would never get in. Is this really true ? Do they not have to make sure they take at least a few from state schools ?

UnlimitedWords Sun 15-Sep-13 15:24:22

I am also at Colyton and wanted to reinstate the points above, I am in year 10 and am in my second year of GCSEs.

I joined in year 7 like the majority but we had one girl arrive at the end of year 7/beginning of year 8 and two boys arrive in year 9. My mum had bought some Non-Verbal Reasoning practice papers from WHSmiths and that was all the preparation I had. The reason she got these was because none of us had even heard of Non-Verbal Reasoning beforehand and I was slightly confused, it helped me a lot but wouldn't have made the difference between getting in and not getting in.

I think it is such a good school and a great idea to try out for it, the school is prestigious and therefore many people are slightly scared or wary of it but the teaching standard is great and the people are so nice.

I came from a primary school in Somerset with 36 pupils, my friends came from similar ones all around, though none came from the same school. I admit some students come from private schools like Maynard's, St Leonard and Exeter but from what I have seen, the majority don't.

Please don't listen to the rumors, they are often unjustified and prejudiced.

bucket2000 Tue 11-Mar-14 16:13:27

I just wanted to say that you to the students who posted on this board. I have been desperately wanting to find students who attend Colyton as I really want my daughter to get into colyton if she is able but as long as Children enjoy it. I think the key is to support your child so they know what the exams will be about but not to be so tutored that when the tutoring stops they will find the school hell. Colyton do not actually agree with tutoring, I believe for that reason but they do have some recommended reading.

We do not want our daughter to go through school being the bottom so if she can get in with the recommended reading then so it will be.

I am glad the students are enjoying their time as I have heard a lot of people who say that students do not and I can only think it is the children who are finding it harder.

Its like anything i.e. we start running and we hate it, we hate it because we are unfit, a month later we enjoy it because we can do it

HercShipwright Tue 11-Mar-14 17:41:02

bucket I think you'll find that the people who say the kids hate it there are people whose kids don't go to the school.

MrsLeap Tue 08-Jul-14 17:16:43

Oh dear, what a lot of rubbish is being written on here about Colyton Grammar. One of my children has been at the school for 4 years. Let me set the record straight . Firstly, you don't need to have been educated in a private school but even if your child has, there is no obvious educational advantage when taking the entrance exam. Secondly, most do not coach their children to enter the school. Virtually all of the parents I know didn't and besides, those children that have will in all likelihood struggle once they are in the system unless they possess an ability to learn. Thirdly, I do not know one parent that has a child at the school that reports their child is unhappy. The school is fantastically supporting, is not in the least elitist and does what it says on the tin. The setting is fantastic, the staff are superb and my only regret is that my eldest didn't get the opportunity to go. My son would be mortified if he had to leave Colyton. Its an unfortunate trait of the British to sneer at success as is evident by some of the contributors on this page.

IdespairIreallydo Tue 08-Jul-14 21:49:29

Sidetracking this thread a little, does anyone commute to CGS from Taunton? Is it really too far ? Thinking of short dark winter nights I'm wondering if the whole thing is do able on a practical travelling basis?

IdespairIreallydo Sun 13-Jul-14 20:48:34

Bump

HercShipwright Mon 14-Jul-14 12:30:49

There isn't a bus (at least, none of the 'school buses' go to Taunton). No idea what it would be like to drive. I don't think there is a train (Axminster, the nearest station, is on the 'other line', isn't it? The waterloo one, which doesn't stop at Taunton)

From your other threads though I thought you were relocating to be very close to your preferred school so I don't quite understand...proximity to Colyton is only relevant for the 124th place...

IdespairIreallydo Mon 14-Jul-14 13:29:02

Thank you HercShipwright. At the open morning one of the pupils showing us around said that children come from Taunton - hence I wondered about a school bus. It is long journey but I know many others travel some distances/times for school. My query was re the practical logistics of the journey, not entry.

Yes, we are relocating. It was just to cover all options, I would have loved to try for Grammar if we lived nearer.

HercShipwright Mon 14-Jul-14 13:48:27

I expect some people do (I know some come from as far away as Torquay) but since there isn't an organised bus, it would be more tricky to organise, I suppose. Taunton is actually closer, in terms of miles, than where we are. But we have the bus which makes a huge difference.

ecps99 Sat 26-Jul-14 07:36:38

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

LetTheSunShine1 Tue 16-Sep-14 10:36:52

There is a bus from Cullompton. Taunton would be fine, kids travel from all over.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now