So its impossible to get into Colyton Grammar ?

(186 Posts)
HoratioHappened Fri 06-Nov-09 16:20:01

My middle child came home from school and told me some of her friends are going to take the 11 plus for Colyton next year. She said she wants to do it as well. We decided she could have a go if she wanted.

However, I was having a coffee with a friend with kids at a local private school who told me it was hopless as they only take kids from private schools these days and she would never get in. Is this really true ? Do they not have to make sure they take at least a few from state schools ?

MintyCane Tue 10-Nov-09 09:19:28

Wow Jux that is awful. sad You poor things I hope someone is looking after you as well? Wishing you huge amounts of luck for the future.

LadyMuck Wed 11-Nov-09 15:59:35

Sorry to hear your news.

The dcs are at prep schools, and a number of boys do sit for the grammar schools each year. But relatively few actually end up taking a place there as if you are that good you will typically have got a decent scholarship at an independent school. Last year of the 17 boys who got a grammar school place, 14 also got scholarships elsewhere and only 4 ended up at the grammar schools. So I definitely wouldn't assume that lots of private school pupils are taking all the places.

MintyCane Thu 12-Nov-09 14:34:29

Have they done it yet ? Let us know how it goes.

WomanwiththeYellowHat Thu 12-Nov-09 14:49:06

Haven't read all of this but just wanted to say that I know the school and it is really good but also that I grew up in an area with 11 plus and went to state primary school. We had a brilliant headmaster who understood 11 plus and made sure we were trained to think in the patterns they are testing. Lots of the school always got in to the grammar. He left in my penultimate year and was replaced by another headteacher who didn't 'agree' with grammar schools and stopped the special lessons he had given the two oldest years. result - in my year there was a massive shock as only about 6 of us got in to the grammar. I just think it shows that there is a system and it is performance based but that, as with all systems, you can influence it either way. I, even 20 years ago, had tutoring for 11 plus and private school entry and loved it (but I was quite sad like that!). My sister hated it. I think it depends on the child but, without outstanding teaching, I think the far extremes of the spectrum will always suffer in a mixed ability group and, if grammar shcool entry matters to you, you just have to find a way of helping your child to know what is expected in the exams, as they do in prep schools and in the state primaries who are most focused on grammar school entry,while also giving them the perspective to realise that it is not the be-all-and-end-all.

MintyCane Tue 24-Nov-09 12:40:50

So how did it go ? Is it all over ?

Kneazle Tue 02-Mar-10 14:05:40

Did anyone out there from a state school get in I know two that didn't.

Kneazle Tue 02-Mar-10 14:33:00

shame looks like it is true then

Kneazle Wed 03-Mar-10 16:13:00

I know two from a private school that did get in. I was told today.

sloppyjoppy Sat 20-Mar-10 05:29:24

Hi all - have learnt that quite a few kids have got in to Colyton from the local state primary near where we live. Private schooling is not necessary, but I suspect tutoring is.

thetasigmamum Mon 22-Mar-10 08:07:31

My child - who went to a state primary and wasn't tutored - is in year 7 at Colyton. One of two children from the primary school to get in. This year, 3 children from the primary school got in.

We were told more than 600 people applied last year - probably wasn't true, probably just local rumour. The 'normal' number of applicants is 400ish.

My child's new friends are primarily state school educated. But there are some children who had been private before, yes.

The primary my children attend/attended seems to have policy of finishing the curriculum at the end of year 5 as far as possible (and certainly for the top group). The kids sit the same SAT at the end of year 5 as the year 6 kids, and get marked as if they were year 6 kids. Interestingly, the primary is actually quite opposed to the idea of Colyton (it's some distance away) and prefers children to go the the secondary for which it is a feeder.

sloppyjoppy Tue 23-Mar-10 13:54:16

Well that's good to know, thetasigmamum - since have been wondering whether to gear up for the exam yet. My child would sit the test in November, if she takes it, and there is already quite a lot of discreet muttering in the playground about tutors/extra work and what happens if the children are not prepared.

Our school also not particularly keen on Colyton, but the parents are!

what do you think of the policy of taking GCSEs a year early? Do those with Summer birthdays suffer, since they can be nearly 2 years younger than the normal age for taking these exams?

thetasigmamum Wed 24-Mar-10 11:28:31

I think if your primary doesn't pretty much aim to have finished the curriculum by the end of year 5 then you will have to make sure you have covered the missing topics in maths at home. English should be fine. You should probably also practise some VR beforehand. That's the crucial component really.

Have you considered also applying to whichever of the Torquay grammars would be the right one for your child? My child and best friend applied to both, last year, and did both exams. My child (and another one we now know who came from a different (state) primary) both got in to Colyton - my child's best friend didn't get into Colyton but did get into Torquay. Because the way the system works is that you go to the highest school on your list you qualify for, it didn't make a difference to that child that Torquay was only second place on their list.

So far the accelerated workload doesn't seem to be an issue at all. Maybe it will be in the future. My child is a summer birth but currently is doing very well. The idea that they have a lot of homework is a total myth. They don't. What I think they do have though is very productive lessons - there is no faffing around in class, it's heads down and LEARN from kickoff.

sloppyjoppy Wed 24-Mar-10 15:27:04

Thanks again for this tsm.

We hadn't considered Torquay, because we live in East Devon, not that far from the border with Somerset. Torquay is well over an hour away (I don't think there's a coach that goes from near here to the school, but will check).

Have now bought some Bond books...

Don't favour the 11Plus tutor route very much, but the questions in the sample papers seem to have a very different focus to the national curriculum and certainly seem to be much harder than the year 6 SATS that I have seen and my child has already tried.

I fear I may need to spend a good few hours/months "familiarising" my daughter with the format/content!

westiefan Fri 09-Apr-10 13:06:56

Plenty of children get into Colyton Grammar from state primaries - more so than the private sector from what I can gather. I know of at least three primary schools in my area that usually have a good record of children passing the 11+ and gaining a place. Out of the six children that took it my son's year - three passed (including my son).

abgirl Fri 30-Apr-10 14:52:00

I went to Colyon (many many moons ago) and there was always a good proportion of students from state primary schools. tbh the stuff about making weaker students sit at sidmouth is tosh - I now work for an exam baord and it just wouldn't be possible.

abgirl Fri 30-Apr-10 14:52:29

ha ha ha board not baord!!!

sloppyjoppy Tue 19-Oct-10 13:39:17

Well, it's nearly time for the Big Test.

DC is fed up waiting to take it, and so am I, on her behalf!

Anyone else out there?

Yellowstone Wed 03-Nov-10 11:04:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

sloppyjoppy Tue 09-Nov-10 13:40:09

Thanks for this Yellowstone - all of the children that I know at Colyton went from state primaries and I suspect only a handful go from private schools.

Don't know about tutoring/hothousing but suspect that quite a few of those that I know got in did have quite a bit of extra help.

Our daughter practised various 11 plus exam papers and we have gone over a few of the more difficult concepts covered in the papers, such as algebra, which have not (yet) been covered by our daughter's school.

Can't say any of us thought the test was fun (!) though my daughter was excited, then exhausted afterwards.

As we drove slowly up to the school (and then experienced the chaos of pick up) it did occur to us that 4 out of every 5 cars at the school then will never return after November....

That's quite a scary thought, so it's lucky our local comprehensive has such a good reputation.

darcymum Tue 09-Nov-10 14:01:44

Isn't West Hill the biggest feeder school for Colyton? That's a state school, although as I understand it they work with the intention of getting as many of their children into Colyton.

sloppyjoppy Tue 09-Nov-10 16:42:06

oh my - if only we'd known!

Unfortunately, there are no "feeder" schools to Colyton - the sole criterion for admission is ranking, the top 120 get a place and that's that.

This is regardless of the primary school they attend: there is no catchment area. Theoretically, you can take the exam and live in Scotland, then get in, and move down to within commuting distance.

Think it also very unlikely that any state school has the intention of getting their pupils into Colyton - although I'm sure it would be an accolade if lots did get in from any one year.

CardyMow Tue 09-Nov-10 22:05:06

Erm - my Y4 8yo DS1 has covered mean,mode and average as part of his extension work. In a state primary. He has also done simple algebra, can do square roots and squares, don't all state primaries give stuff like this as extension work for dc that need it? confused. Especially in areas where thse dc may be trying for GS?

Tikitikitembo Wed 10-Nov-10 10:26:04

My dd has covered those subjects in primary as well. However, it is not the case that any state primary does anything to help with grammar entry. They are not supposed to anyway. In some areas where there are lots of grammar schools at secondary level children may be given a past paper to look at. The children are not prepped for the exam in the same way as in private school even in these areas.

Most private schools have a verbal reasoning exam as part of the secondary entrace exam. Therefore, if you are in a private junior school you will being prepped for this kind of question all the time. These children have a greater chance of passing the 11 plus than state school children with no tutor. Sad but true. Colyton does have a high proportion of private school kids entering each year.

sloppyjoppy Wed 10-Nov-10 18:29:53

Well loudlass, I would think that the type of work that your child is getting is quite unusual.

My younger child is also in class 4, is also in the top "set", and was at level 4 in her SATS rating at the end of class 3.

However, she is not working on any algebra unless you consider the really simple stuff like 9=x+4,(in some of the mental maths she does). She certainly hasn't learnt about modes/means/medians or square roots, so I think that your school must have some maths whizzes in it!

Almost half of my elder child's class is sitting the Colyton exam, but the school is not allowed to provide extra support to them - it is left to us, if we think it to be necessary, but is generally discouraged.

Yellowstone Mon 29-Nov-10 22:02:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now