new Year 7s

(114 Posts)
bruffin Wed 05-Aug-09 23:29:13

Anyone else have homework for their new school?

DD has a science project to do and also a long book list for which she has to chose 2 to read and write about.

cherryblossoms Thu 03-Sep-09 21:41:50

Hello everyone - signing in for support ....

Today-starter here, too. Ds cheery (oh, may it last); me weepy and tense.

Anyway, it's been accomplished. tomorrow, as Scarlett says, is another day. time for a drink now, I feel.

Schoolsec Thu 03-Sep-09 22:23:55

Hep!! New Year 7 son has taken 3 hours to do very simple homework (interspersed with wandering around, swinging on chair etc.). He is not daft by any stretch - I am so frustrated!!

cherryblossoms Thu 03-Sep-09 22:32:36

Ooh! Homework on first day ouch!

No homework here, thank goodness. I think it would have been looked at with bewilderment.

Schoolsec Thu 03-Sep-09 22:36:25

Eldest son did Year 7 last year and suggested that youngest son just copy his! This is the downside of having a 20 month age gap. Have had very long conversation about expectations, great opportunities etc..!

cuppateaplease Fri 04-Sep-09 08:57:40

Sounds like first days weren't too traumatic! DS went today, moaning about having to tuck his shirt in and why does he have to wear a tie and that his blazer is too big...... think he was a bit nervous as he's gone from a small village school to a large school where he knows very few other children.

He won't be impressed if he gets homework!

Thanks, babysamrocks, looks like we'll be taking a trip to the carphonewarehouse soon! (obviously won't be getting the pink one!)

singersgirl Fri 04-Sep-09 09:06:42

Can I join? DS1 has just started Y7 too.

cuppateaplease Fri 04-Sep-09 09:32:58

hi singersgirl - how are the nerves!! I think i've been more tense the past week than Ds has grin

bruffin Fri 04-Sep-09 09:45:16

Aaaaaaaaagh what a morning!

All the trains were cancelledsad

DD leaves earlier than DS as she walks and he cycles to the station. DD rang to say next 2 trains had been cancelled. I looked it up on the internet and then they announced it on radio. Decided DH would take them by car and DD to come home, it then got a bit mad with phone calls flying backward and forward, ending with a plaintive DD
saying Dad had missed her and had gone passed her in the car and that her hairband has broken and she needed it for PE.

Thankfully they actually got to school on time.

She had a good first day though and thankfully the school looks like it's dropped it's policy of doing 2 languages in the first year

singersgirl Fri 04-Sep-09 09:54:29

I think I'm more nervous too. DS1 started yesterday and seems happy enough so far. But there are lots of new things, like subject teachers and homework diaries. He's supposed to be going by himself on the bus but so far I'm driving him!

serenity Fri 04-Sep-09 10:01:00

DS1 has his first day today. DS2 and DD started back yesterday so I made him and DH do a 'dry run' of the bus journey. Luckily as it turned out, as we discovered he has to get the 8am bus to get there on time (they missed it!) So, this morning went smoothly, they got there in plenty of time, and there's 2 other yr7's who get his bus too smile Going to meet him at 1.30 as it's only a half day today.

He's got this phone basically because I got it free from work wink I've promised him that if he takes care of it and doesn't do anything stupid with the credit I'll get him something swisher, but atm it let's him stay in contact during the journey which is all he needs.

cuppateaplease Fri 04-Sep-09 10:03:22

what a mare of a morning bruffin! hope the train cancellation was one off and not to be a common problem!

DS can catch a bus to school, although the school bus wasn't running this morning, but at the moment he still wants to be taken by car. Not sure how long that will last!

Steamroller Fri 04-Sep-09 14:41:39

Anyone else's child scared to go to the toilet at their new school? Reason: it's full of scary big teenage girls

bruffin Fri 04-Sep-09 16:13:21

DD never liked using the toilet at primary and was always desperate to go when she got home, but then she was less than 10 minutes walk round the corner. I had a word with her yesterday because I can't see how she will manage without going when she will her school day will be nearly 2 hours longer with travel.

katiestar Fri 04-Sep-09 19:01:24

DS2 started today and apart from me having to change over his blazer buttons to school ones (bad mummy alert!) and him nearly getting the wrong bus home , all went well!

DS2 is a complete scatterbrains and so I am expecting to get re-aquainted with the staff at the bus office whom we knew so got to know so well when DS1 started !

Curiousmama Fri 04-Sep-09 20:47:31

Hi my ds1 started comp today and hated it sad He'd loved the taster before the holidays. He got quite a bit of homework to do. I've never seen him look so down it's awful sad I hope it's just a shock to the system and then once he gets used to it he'll be ok?

ShrinkingViolet Fri 04-Sep-09 20:53:10

our Y7s share loos with 6th formers, so although they are big, (and quite scary from the point of view of a Y7) they are nice and helpful, rather than scarily scary IFSWIM.
Loos are still horrid though.

hocuspontas Mon 07-Sep-09 08:03:57

Just seen dd3 off <sob>

All her clothes are too big and her bag is a big as her! I was up until midnight last night embroidering initials and names onto things - they look like a drunk person did them eek! Hope she won't be judged grin

She had a whole book of work to do and I'm sure most girls aren't going to do it all but she was adamant. You needed some year 6 work, photos of family, to write a story, a poem, do a poster of the moon landing, do quizzes on science, books etc. I was exhausted just reading it!

Am nervous about 4.30 now, I hope she enjoyed it. She didn't like the taster day, nor the teacher- I'm not expecting miracles...

Dazmum Mon 07-Sep-09 08:40:44

Curiousmama, my DS didn't have a good day on Friday either sad. He had been for familiarisation day in July, and had just one other boy in his new form from his old school, so he was quite happy. But this boy asked to be moved to be with his other friends, and the school moved him into a class with 3 others boys from the same school, leaving my poor DS on his own! We asked if he could also be moved and they said no. It wasn't as if he wasn't friends with the boy either! It really set him back and although he's a friendly little chap, it's hard for him to go and try and break into already established friendships.He was quite low on Friday, just because he hadn't made any new friends yet. We made lots of encouraging noises about it being early days, but I did cry on my friend when I told her about it on Saturday!

Anyway, he's gone off again today and seems quite happy so I am keeping my fingers crossed that today is better. Hope your ds1 has a better day and that your dds3 does too hocuspontas.

fircone Mon 07-Sep-09 11:26:33

Waved off ds this morning. In fact I was still fondly waving and realised he had disappeared round the corner.

His bag was so heavy, and he hasn't even got a textbook in there yet. I sent him off with a packed lunch and some dinner money, just in case everyone else was going to the canteen and he didn't want to be left out. Strict instructions though that the dinner money was to be returned if unused!

I promised I wouldn't conduct too much of a Spanish Inquisition when he gets home. I know I'll be tempted to sit him under hot lights and fire endless questions at him though.

serenity Mon 07-Sep-09 13:18:51

DS1 is the only one from his primary school at his new school, so he's in that position too Dazmum. He seemed to be OK though. I was the only one from my primary too, and it took a week or so but it does work out ok. Speaking to another Mum with slightly older children, she said that the old friendship groups don't always last anyway. As they meet new people, and do new things they make new friends!

Dazmum Mon 07-Sep-09 15:48:57

Thanks serenity, I'm sure you are right. He's just come in and seems ok, so I'm just fussing I think! Said he'd just met the shoutiest teacher, but he didn't shout at him!

roisin Mon 07-Sep-09 18:25:43

It is hard at first if they're in a class on their own, but it does force them to get to know others.

Ds1 last year for yr7 was put in a class with 3 friends from primary school (the only boys going to this secondary from his school). They are taught all lessons in their form group in yr7, and he hasn't really got to know other students very well, because he hasn't needed to. He's generally just worked with the other mates from his primary in his class.

Now that he's set for most subjects, I'm hoping he will be forced to branch out and make some new friendships.

MillyR Mon 07-Sep-09 22:24:18

My DS started last week. He is the only child from his primary at his new school. Everything seems to be going okay, but he cannot keep up with the writing pace in one subject. The teacher has gone on to the next slide before he finishes writing. I am waiting to see if she writes anything in his book when she sees all the unfinished paragraphs.

bruffin Mon 07-Sep-09 23:51:11

I think I would have preferred DS to have been the only child from his primary 2 years ago.
DD seems to be making new friends. She is the same form as the other 2 girls from her primary , but has been put in different sets for most other classes.

NervousNutty Mon 07-Sep-09 23:55:19

Dd1 starts on Wednesday and so far seems unfazed.

Luckily dd seems to already know quite a few people in other years, including 6th formers and she will talk to anyone so i'm not worried about her being stood on her own.

My main concern at the mo is that dd will not keep up with the homework as she always leaves it until the last moment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now