new Year 7s

(114 Posts)
bruffin Wed 05-Aug-09 23:29:13

Anyone else have homework for their new school?

DD has a science project to do and also a long book list for which she has to chose 2 to read and write about.

cuppateaplease Fri 07-Aug-09 14:36:27

none here!
How does your DD feel about doing the homework? I know Ds is looking forward to starting his new school and actually learning something (Hasn't been alot of learning at primary recently!) but he would not have been impressed with holiday homework.

katiestar Fri 07-Aug-09 20:07:20

Not here.in fact they don't get any homework for the first 2 or 3 weeks
I actually think it is quite a scary thing to ask of a child , to do a project for a school he hasn't been to yet.

bruffin Fri 07-Aug-09 22:46:22

She doesn't seem worried about it, it's experiments like what makes coke go flat. It's an extention of what they did on their transfer day in July.
DS started there 2 yrs ago and he didn't have to do the science investigation, but had to read 2 books.

She is so excited about starting there. We bought her uniform on Saturday and I think it will be the one and only time she will look smart. She's one of those dc's whose cardigan is always hanging over one shoulder, tie will be wonky and shirt untucked[grinned]

Are your dc's looking forward to starting?

hatesponge Fri 07-Aug-09 22:57:40

No homework here, or reading lists but I wish we did, DS is bored already - and sadly me teling him to read or setting him work has no effect

Not sure if we are looking forward to him starting either - the open day didn't go well, they did some quizzes etc & according to DS many of the class seemed to struggle with pretty basic numeracy & literacy skills Am not optimistic about the school unfortunately

bruffin Fri 07-Aug-09 23:22:35

When do they set the classes Hatesponge? DC's school set from the beginning. They did CAT tests in July.

hatesponge Fri 07-Aug-09 23:37:36

they dont sort out the sets until sometime after the first half term break apparently. think it might be a long first 7 weeks!

cuppateaplease Mon 10-Aug-09 13:01:56

Is it just us four for the new year 7s? Although DS is looking forward to starting, I'm actually starting to get nervous - have I bought the right stuff, have I forgotten anything....

Ds has been assigned a class for the new year, but we have been told that there will be 'tests' soon after they start - I assume these are the CATs - ? I know nothing about 'em!

Have got nearly all of the school uniform - except for the school badge and tie - these were out of stock 2 weeks ago and are still out of stock now - starting to get a bit worried........... (knew i should have started getting the uniform in June grin)

bruffin Mon 10-Aug-09 13:38:24

DD has met her form/house but will be allocated her tutor groups on the day they start. They are set for English, Maths and then another group for all the other subjects.
My main concerns are she will one of 3 girls from her primary going together on the train to school.
Ds was in a similar situation 2 yrs ago and we did not have a good first 2 terms. It was very much 3's a crowd and DS was the butt of their jokes and he was being bullied. Thankfully it eventually was sorted out and DS is much happier now, but it has really made me worry about DD.

cuppateaplease Tue 11-Aug-09 13:59:53

three can be an awkward number - what was the relationships between the girls like at primary? How they are divided for the sets may influence the relationship too...yet more to worry about.. Do lots of children catch the same train? At least there would be potential for others to join the group.

I know people always say that the children meet new friends and are less reliant on primary friends but it is always a worry.

Only one other boy from DSs primary school will be at the secondary and they have already been put in different classes. DS not bothered as although the two boys were friendly enough they were not in the same group of friends.

fircone Tue 11-Aug-09 15:40:08

ds has been put with a couple of good friends from primary school, but now he's complaining that one of them is a bit clingy, and that he is keen to make new friends too.

They don't set at first, so I suppose they do these CAT things. What exactly are they? Like SATS? Or are they 11+ type non-verbal reasoning?

bruffin Tue 11-Aug-09 19:16:08

CATS are NVR, VR and Quantative multiple choice, supposed to be a test of innate ability.

They are all in the same form, but I suspect they may split them a bit for tutor groups even if they are similar levels.

Not so worried about DD so much as the girls a both good friends of hers, but am a bit worried about what might happen between the other 2 and DD being drawn into it. They are all lovely girls and considering they are all 11 yr old girls there has been very little bitching or falling out in DD's circle of friends and any rows are made up very quickly. But girl A has started saying girl B gets on her nerves a bit and there was a bit of mild teasing in the car the other day from girl A to Girl B.

fircone Tue 11-Aug-09 19:35:42

I suppose they're all lurching towards teenagerdom. Ds displays flashes of it - and he's not 11 till next week!

And I've just started to get the "Don't be so embarrassing" hissed at me. I can't wait for puberty - NOT!

On the tutor group thing: they said at the New Parents' Meeting that the groups were random, but they clearly aren't. Ds reports that about a third of his top maths set from primary school are in the same group.

bruffin Tue 11-Aug-09 23:47:36

DD has had "teenage attitude" at home for a good year nowgrin
I'm not allowed to go to her swimming class anymore on a saturday morning.

PixieOnaLeaf Sat 15-Aug-09 18:21:13

Can I join you?
Bruffin, my elder DD (now 14) had 'teenage attitude' for Year 6, but lost it when she moved to secondary. I think it was down to being in the top year at school and being ready for a change/trying to act older than she was, rather than teenage hormones. When she moved to secondary, she soon wanted me to stay with her whilst she did gym!
How are the newbies feeling, then, with only three weeks to go??

serenity Thu 20-Aug-09 19:32:42

*jumps in*

DS1 starts in Yr7 on 4/9 and he's fine, but I'm nervous. We had it all planned - we only lived a short walk from the school, but we had to move unexpectedly, so now he has a bus journey... I'm sure he'll be OK, but we now have to do last minute 'bus training' grin

bellavita Wed 26-Aug-09 14:15:10

Good luck to your dd's/ds's!

This was me last year.... all worried and nervous. There really was no need! DS1 has to get a school bus. Would he remember to get all his things off the bus, would he remember his coat, would he remember... would he remember...Don't suppose he has done too badly, someone took his pe kit (all named) and left theirs (no name), DS never though to take thatone and just left it. We replaced everything then he managed to lose a rugby shirt and pe top. He cobbled along with them as I said if he lost anything else then he would have to pay for replacements. He since found a rugby shirt and pe top (unnamed) in the lost property so he brought those home.

The first year of secondary has flown by. I now know that DS1 hates wearing a coat (they all wear hoodies), he will not wear his school jumper as he says it prickles (not the best wool in the world, so I can sort of understand), won't wear his top two buttons on his polo shirt done up, wears his rucksack down past his bottom - actually for Yr8 he has requested a bag that goes across the body.

All in all, he hasn't done too bad. He got a glowing parent/teacher consultation and year end report. We also received a letter from the Head about him (he and two other boys are redesigning the school website), the letter was just so full of good things about him. They are of course talking about a different child to the one that we actually live with grin

marymoocow Mon 31-Aug-09 21:48:04

Another one here starting on 7/9. Ds seems ok. Have bought the last few bits today including the school bag, which I have been worring about....which one is cool, which one will make him a target for bullying, which one is practical. In the end I left it to him. I can't get the blame then grin.

bruffin Tue 01-Sep-09 00:34:56

We just got back from holiday yesterday.
We still have to get DD some shoes, both her bfs have got clarks , so I can now take her safely to clarks without too much argument.

She seems fairly determined to use her Jonas Brother bag for school. I'll give it a few weeks then maybe get her another more suitable bag from surfdome for her birthday.

bruffin, I know exactly what you mean. I was (kind of) organised enough to get the (sports) uniform before we went on holiday - we got back on Saturday - but this effing 'Outstanding' school has no flipping uniform.

MMC, the girl at the local stockist for the PE kit went to dd's school, and she says they used to take it in a plastic supermarket bag hmm

And, bruffin, dd1 is DREADING tomorrow. Have just had a butcher's at the school's OFSTED inspection, which I should have done ages ago but didn't - I knew, through my nephew being there, that it was fine. And one of the teachers there is mum to one from dd's class.

Do I sound like I'm trying to persuade myself? grin

bruffin Wed 02-Sep-09 12:35:44

I'm sure she will be fine 2sugers.

We didn't end up with Clarks. DD has very high arches and all the clarks cut into her foot and we got a flowery hippo courier style bag from Smiths, but suddenly remembered I haven't bought her a sketch pad for art,so will have to get that this afternoon and still got to get their train tickets.
They changed the rules and I can't get their seasons tickets until the afternoon before they need to use them, which is a pain.

cuppateaplease Wed 02-Sep-09 14:03:29

We've just braved clarks and of the huge choice of three pairs of black shoes available in Ds size - he said that one pair were comfortable- so sorted!
Still need the termly hair trim this afternoon and to finally get the school badge we've been waiting for - it's finally come in today.

Must admit we are using the school bag from last year as it wasn't too shabby. Unfortunately i have no idea of what is considered 'in' and what is not - consequently neither does DS! hopefully it's plain enough not to notice!

Only thing we haven't sorted is a phone. Ds always communicates with his mates on MSN so don't want to spend a fortune on a phone but I guess this really is one area where he needs something reasonable. Does anyone know what the most popular ones are at school?

bruffin Thu 03-Sep-09 12:46:07

How were todays starters?

DH took DD to the station where she met one of her friends. He said he had never seen two children so excited about going to schoolgrin
I was hoping for a text lunch time, but I couldn't top up her phone this morning.

Babysamrocks Thu 03-Sep-09 16:57:56

Hiya everyone my ds1 starts secondary school on Monday. Think we've got everything we should have except football boots, and i'm going to get them once we know when football starts!! Ds is looking forward to going even though he only knows a couple of other children.

Cupoftea, we have brought ds this phone www.carphonewarehouse.com/mobiles/mobile-phones/SONY-ERIC-T280I/PPAY It was fairly reasonably priced and ds can still hold his head high in the playground!!!!!!! HTH

cherryblossoms Thu 03-Sep-09 21:41:50

Hello everyone - signing in for support ....

Today-starter here, too. Ds cheery (oh, may it last); me weepy and tense.

Anyway, it's been accomplished. tomorrow, as Scarlett says, is another day. time for a drink now, I feel.

Schoolsec Thu 03-Sep-09 22:23:55

Hep!! New Year 7 son has taken 3 hours to do very simple homework (interspersed with wandering around, swinging on chair etc.). He is not daft by any stretch - I am so frustrated!!

cherryblossoms Thu 03-Sep-09 22:32:36

Ooh! Homework on first day ouch!

No homework here, thank goodness. I think it would have been looked at with bewilderment.

Schoolsec Thu 03-Sep-09 22:36:25

Eldest son did Year 7 last year and suggested that youngest son just copy his! This is the downside of having a 20 month age gap. Have had very long conversation about expectations, great opportunities etc..!

cuppateaplease Fri 04-Sep-09 08:57:40

Sounds like first days weren't too traumatic! DS went today, moaning about having to tuck his shirt in and why does he have to wear a tie and that his blazer is too big...... think he was a bit nervous as he's gone from a small village school to a large school where he knows very few other children.

He won't be impressed if he gets homework!

Thanks, babysamrocks, looks like we'll be taking a trip to the carphonewarehouse soon! (obviously won't be getting the pink one!)

singersgirl Fri 04-Sep-09 09:06:42

Can I join? DS1 has just started Y7 too.

cuppateaplease Fri 04-Sep-09 09:32:58

hi singersgirl - how are the nerves!! I think i've been more tense the past week than Ds has grin

bruffin Fri 04-Sep-09 09:45:16

Aaaaaaaaagh what a morning!

All the trains were cancelledsad

DD leaves earlier than DS as she walks and he cycles to the station. DD rang to say next 2 trains had been cancelled. I looked it up on the internet and then they announced it on radio. Decided DH would take them by car and DD to come home, it then got a bit mad with phone calls flying backward and forward, ending with a plaintive DD
saying Dad had missed her and had gone passed her in the car and that her hairband has broken and she needed it for PE.

Thankfully they actually got to school on time.

She had a good first day though and thankfully the school looks like it's dropped it's policy of doing 2 languages in the first year

singersgirl Fri 04-Sep-09 09:54:29

I think I'm more nervous too. DS1 started yesterday and seems happy enough so far. But there are lots of new things, like subject teachers and homework diaries. He's supposed to be going by himself on the bus but so far I'm driving him!

serenity Fri 04-Sep-09 10:01:00

DS1 has his first day today. DS2 and DD started back yesterday so I made him and DH do a 'dry run' of the bus journey. Luckily as it turned out, as we discovered he has to get the 8am bus to get there on time (they missed it!) So, this morning went smoothly, they got there in plenty of time, and there's 2 other yr7's who get his bus too smile Going to meet him at 1.30 as it's only a half day today.

He's got this phone basically because I got it free from work wink I've promised him that if he takes care of it and doesn't do anything stupid with the credit I'll get him something swisher, but atm it let's him stay in contact during the journey which is all he needs.

cuppateaplease Fri 04-Sep-09 10:03:22

what a mare of a morning bruffin! hope the train cancellation was one off and not to be a common problem!

DS can catch a bus to school, although the school bus wasn't running this morning, but at the moment he still wants to be taken by car. Not sure how long that will last!

Steamroller Fri 04-Sep-09 14:41:39

Anyone else's child scared to go to the toilet at their new school? Reason: it's full of scary big teenage girls

bruffin Fri 04-Sep-09 16:13:21

DD never liked using the toilet at primary and was always desperate to go when she got home, but then she was less than 10 minutes walk round the corner. I had a word with her yesterday because I can't see how she will manage without going when she will her school day will be nearly 2 hours longer with travel.

katiestar Fri 04-Sep-09 19:01:24

DS2 started today and apart from me having to change over his blazer buttons to school ones (bad mummy alert!) and him nearly getting the wrong bus home , all went well!

DS2 is a complete scatterbrains and so I am expecting to get re-aquainted with the staff at the bus office whom we knew so got to know so well when DS1 started !

Curiousmama Fri 04-Sep-09 20:47:31

Hi my ds1 started comp today and hated it sad He'd loved the taster before the holidays. He got quite a bit of homework to do. I've never seen him look so down it's awful sad I hope it's just a shock to the system and then once he gets used to it he'll be ok?

ShrinkingViolet Fri 04-Sep-09 20:53:10

our Y7s share loos with 6th formers, so although they are big, (and quite scary from the point of view of a Y7) they are nice and helpful, rather than scarily scary IFSWIM.
Loos are still horrid though.

hocuspontas Mon 07-Sep-09 08:03:57

Just seen dd3 off <sob>

All her clothes are too big and her bag is a big as her! I was up until midnight last night embroidering initials and names onto things - they look like a drunk person did them eek! Hope she won't be judged grin

She had a whole book of work to do and I'm sure most girls aren't going to do it all but she was adamant. You needed some year 6 work, photos of family, to write a story, a poem, do a poster of the moon landing, do quizzes on science, books etc. I was exhausted just reading it!

Am nervous about 4.30 now, I hope she enjoyed it. She didn't like the taster day, nor the teacher- I'm not expecting miracles...

Dazmum Mon 07-Sep-09 08:40:44

Curiousmama, my DS didn't have a good day on Friday either sad. He had been for familiarisation day in July, and had just one other boy in his new form from his old school, so he was quite happy. But this boy asked to be moved to be with his other friends, and the school moved him into a class with 3 others boys from the same school, leaving my poor DS on his own! We asked if he could also be moved and they said no. It wasn't as if he wasn't friends with the boy either! It really set him back and although he's a friendly little chap, it's hard for him to go and try and break into already established friendships.He was quite low on Friday, just because he hadn't made any new friends yet. We made lots of encouraging noises about it being early days, but I did cry on my friend when I told her about it on Saturday!

Anyway, he's gone off again today and seems quite happy so I am keeping my fingers crossed that today is better. Hope your ds1 has a better day and that your dds3 does too hocuspontas.

fircone Mon 07-Sep-09 11:26:33

Waved off ds this morning. In fact I was still fondly waving and realised he had disappeared round the corner.

His bag was so heavy, and he hasn't even got a textbook in there yet. I sent him off with a packed lunch and some dinner money, just in case everyone else was going to the canteen and he didn't want to be left out. Strict instructions though that the dinner money was to be returned if unused!

I promised I wouldn't conduct too much of a Spanish Inquisition when he gets home. I know I'll be tempted to sit him under hot lights and fire endless questions at him though.

serenity Mon 07-Sep-09 13:18:51

DS1 is the only one from his primary school at his new school, so he's in that position too Dazmum. He seemed to be OK though. I was the only one from my primary too, and it took a week or so but it does work out ok. Speaking to another Mum with slightly older children, she said that the old friendship groups don't always last anyway. As they meet new people, and do new things they make new friends!

Dazmum Mon 07-Sep-09 15:48:57

Thanks serenity, I'm sure you are right. He's just come in and seems ok, so I'm just fussing I think! Said he'd just met the shoutiest teacher, but he didn't shout at him!

roisin Mon 07-Sep-09 18:25:43

It is hard at first if they're in a class on their own, but it does force them to get to know others.

Ds1 last year for yr7 was put in a class with 3 friends from primary school (the only boys going to this secondary from his school). They are taught all lessons in their form group in yr7, and he hasn't really got to know other students very well, because he hasn't needed to. He's generally just worked with the other mates from his primary in his class.

Now that he's set for most subjects, I'm hoping he will be forced to branch out and make some new friendships.

MillyR Mon 07-Sep-09 22:24:18

My DS started last week. He is the only child from his primary at his new school. Everything seems to be going okay, but he cannot keep up with the writing pace in one subject. The teacher has gone on to the next slide before he finishes writing. I am waiting to see if she writes anything in his book when she sees all the unfinished paragraphs.

bruffin Mon 07-Sep-09 23:51:11

I think I would have preferred DS to have been the only child from his primary 2 years ago.
DD seems to be making new friends. She is the same form as the other 2 girls from her primary , but has been put in different sets for most other classes.

NervousNutty Mon 07-Sep-09 23:55:19

Dd1 starts on Wednesday and so far seems unfazed.

Luckily dd seems to already know quite a few people in other years, including 6th formers and she will talk to anyone so i'm not worried about her being stood on her own.

My main concern at the mo is that dd will not keep up with the homework as she always leaves it until the last moment.

Dazmum Tue 08-Sep-09 16:15:17

He is even happier today, so I don't think I need to worry any more! Think you are absolutely right roisin about forcing them to make new friends.

His only problem today was complaining that they had to keep their blazers on and it's really hot here - seems a bit mean or aibu?!grin

We were told that they would be getting about 1 1/2 hours of homework per night, so that might be the next thing I am posting here about!

serenity Tue 08-Sep-09 17:04:40

DS1's making friends too which is a relief. He's getting homework (we were told hour/half as well) but so far it's been decorating and covering his exercise books, and a short piece of writing for music. I'm nervously waiting for the deluge to begin!

MillyR Tue 08-Sep-09 17:09:29

Ds has had lots of homework already, and it is meant to be 1 and a half hours a night, but hasn't got to that much yet.

cuppateaplease Wed 09-Sep-09 10:40:51

DS had a little bit of homework - according to his 'homework diary' he should be getting 2 or 3 pieces every night! So far he has done them without a fuss but don't know how long that will continue as i guess they will start to get harder and more involved. Serenity - we've got decorating the RE book - I think we'll have to look up religious symbols as otherwise it will just have crosses on it! And it may be HIS homework to cover books with stickyback plastic but that really ends up as MY homework unless we want them to look a mess

Ds complained that most of the boys played football at breaks - he's just not sporty - but he has been collecting conkers at break times and there are some other boys also conker collecting that hopefully he can get friendly with.

mollyroger Wed 09-Sep-09 13:23:19

hello, checking in for some hand holding
He doesn't know a single soul at his new school - except for one boy who 'hates' him.

Pyrocanthus Wed 09-Sep-09 13:36:32

Is this his first day, or is it not going too well so far?

mollyroger Wed 09-Sep-09 13:45:04

he started on monday (after an induction day on friday) and it is like living with jeckyll and hyde...

Pyrocanthus Wed 09-Sep-09 13:59:58

Do you think his form teacher would be receptive to a concerned phone call? A friend's son was very upset after his induction day and the tutor was very sympathetic and helpful. I know they can't make friends on the child's behalf, but at my DD's new school the children had to fill in a sort of profile booklet listing their interests and so on - if your DS's school has anything similar, maybe they could use that as a basis for a bit of social engineering and sit him with someone who might have something in common?

Otherwise, sympathy. This is my first day of this new life, and I don't know much about how it works. Somebody more experienced will be along soon.

singersgirl Wed 09-Sep-09 22:05:30

Well, DS1 has already misunderstood the instructions for covering his French exercise book and had the first attempt thrown in the bin shock, though he's been surprisingly cheerful and robust about it, misunderstood what he was supposed to learn for Latin homework, and, today, forgotten to bring home his maths questions for homework. He is demanding to go in early tomorrow morning so he can get it done before registration - he assures me it's 'pips' and 20 minutes will be enough. He's also lost his fountain pen (not expensive at all, but still...)

On the other hand, he's chuffed he's made the E rugby team!

Roll on Week 2!

NoahFence Thu 10-Sep-09 10:20:31

ds has binned his old mates largely it seems and has new ones

thats whats normal I think - they bin primary mates pretty fast

fircone Thu 10-Sep-09 11:27:29

Every one of ds's books has to be covered in a "creative" manner. I don't have a creative bone in my body and have passed down my ham-fistedness to ds. We had a big fight on Day 2 because he had tried to cover his history book and it was an awful mess. We were tugging this book back and forth and ds ended up storming off to his room. He was out five minutes' later though as he realised that bossy, ineffectual help is better than no help at all!

For RE he has to design a poster. That's going to ruin the weekend. Please, can he have some written work?

mollyroger Thu 10-Sep-09 11:38:46

where the chuffing norah do I get sticky backed plastic to laminate his excercise book? Only one teacher has aksed this, I anticipated book baking so bought plain wrapping paper.

NoahAmin Thu 10-Sep-09 11:50:35

RYman

Bogof

fircone Thu 10-Sep-09 11:50:54

Things have improved since I went to secondary school. One of my first pieces of homework was to embroider a hymn book cover in a design of our choice. This had to be done in one's own time, not in needlework or some such. And we had to provide our own piece of hessiany stuff and all the silks.

Can you just imagine asking a load of 11-year-olds today to embroider? As it was, I had no idea and my hymn book cover was all baggy with strands of thread hanging off. I remember some people had beautiful covers. I think a lot of grannies had been busy!

Pyrocanthus Thu 10-Sep-09 11:59:19

If that had been my school, fircone, I'd still be in detention now. Weirdly, I think my DD would love it.

mollyroger Thu 10-Sep-09 13:09:22

it took me a whole school year of needlework lessons to sew the compulsory domestic science apron blush everyone else had graduated onto soft toys then ra-ra skirts and I was left wrestling metres of crackly stripey stuff decorated with blobs of blood, sweat and tears in the corner of Shame.
Book covering is piece of piss compared to this.

singersgirl Thu 10-Sep-09 18:35:36

He's found the fountain pen but lost his French vocabulary book. He's forgotten his pencil case, however. He now has to cover his RE book in a collage of religious images from Tinterweb. Groan.

NoahAmin Thu 10-Sep-09 20:24:17

book covering
class rules
waht a load of ol shit

I freaked my year 8s ou by saying we werent doign chiffing rules and they can use whatever pen makes their writing nice

Quattrocento Thu 10-Sep-09 20:29:40

I've just completed DD's maths homework (find all the palindromic numbers between 1 and 1000 that are multiples of 7) and am just getting stuck in to English comprehension.

I do feel the burden of homework is a tad unfair on the parents ....

Pyrocanthus Thu 10-Sep-09 20:41:19

I'm going to need a tutor, Quattrocento.

hatesponge Thu 10-Sep-09 21:02:33

DS1 has been at new school since last Friday.

Is having fun of sorts, has made friends, football trial after school tomorrow. However has barely done any work all week at school, has had no homework, and says he is bored in most lessons because they are covering stuff he already knows.

Steamroller Fri 11-Sep-09 12:27:35

Dd has had to cover books, and write out alphabet letters using spanish signs as borders... things a 6 year old could do (no offence meant to 6 year olds . We are giving the school the benefit of the doubt for this week, but if things don't get a bit more demanding next week I think we'll be on to the teaching staff.

DailyMailNameChanger Fri 11-Sep-09 12:34:44

Dd has been in year 7 for 4 days, she has had 5 pieces of homework and has spent about 3 hours on it so far - all the homework had to be in the day after it was issued!

She has had as much homework as my elder dd who is starting GCSEs this year. Luckily for me dd loves it and pulls her books out the moment she walks in the door but I should imagine some of the other parents are suffering!

Pyrocanthus Fri 11-Sep-09 12:56:23

I wouldn't panic yet, Steamroller. Your DD's school might deliberately break them in gently. My DD won't get any homework at all until the end of next week, but then apparently it comes thick, fast and regular. Other local secondaries start hurling homework at the year 7s almost immediately.

It's a shame if they're getting bored in school though.

Pielight Fri 11-Sep-09 13:05:31

I'm finding the whole thing an organizational NIGHTMARE. I was pompous and told him he had to do the homework on the day it was set, even if it was due next week. I told him it would 'serve him well for the rest of his life'. What an arse. I'm already saying, 'okay, fgs leave that, you can do it on Sunday, that's enough homework already'.

Mind you, he made B rugby team yesterday, and was chuffed about that.

it's quite a learning curve though isn't it? I asked him what it was like being at school with all these huge teenagers, he said 'scarily interesting' grin

Molly - how are you? Have been thinking about you. I bought a roll of sticky back stuff from Smiths. Is 100x here.

Pyrocanthus Fri 11-Sep-09 13:11:07

My DD had first day at school with all children present yesterday and attended a whole-school assembly. She was deeply shocked by the length (or shortth) of the 6th form girls' skirts. Apparently the 6th formers had to sit on the floor - apparently this wasn't a good idea.

'scarily interesting' - spot on, Son of Pielight.

fircone Fri 11-Sep-09 13:31:03

Ha ha, Pielight. I too was begging ds to leave his homework last night! He's got this blimmin' RE poster to design and was trying to do that as well as science homework.

We're going to have to get a system going as it's impossible to do all the homework on the night it's set.

Ds's main news of yesterday was that he saw two pupils snogging in the corridor. He said good job he'd already been to the canteen or else he'd have been quite put off. Snogging is fine in a proper snogging situation, but do schools condone it on the premises? I can't say I'm too thrilled about this. [Crusty outraged old fogey emoticon]

Pielight Fri 11-Sep-09 13:37:58

I know, it's difficult to work it out isn't it? DS is being v. good about it, I am being bolshy blush Also - he was given extra work in History, I said 'oh fgs, what did you do wrong?' (bad mother) and he said, 'No, it wasn't like that, it was because I was so interested'

eh?

I just managed to stop myself from saying 'but when will you do it? This is a NIGHTMARE, there's so much to do, I'm panicking about sticky back plastic and the art project, not to mention the flipping physics and you're willingly taking on more work you fool?'

grin

Pielight Fri 11-Sep-09 13:38:29

Don't know re the snogging! How scarily interesting Fircone

Pyrocanthus Fri 11-Sep-09 13:40:41

Lawks, fircone, my DD will pass out with shock blush [Eeeewwww! emoticon] if she sees that!

Suspect the staff would move them on if they saw.

Dazmum Fri 11-Sep-09 15:37:11

My DS has got CATS tests next week, told no revision needed though. Presumably this is to decide which groups they go in for certain subjects? He has already been assigned to a groups for maths based on the SATs results, so don't know why they can't use those for everything?

He's had double music today - bet that was scarily interesting to hear!

tethersend Fri 11-Sep-09 15:59:00

CATs (Cognitive Ability Tests) comprise of three separate tests- Verbal, Non-verbal and Quantitative more information here

Schools most commonly use the data from these tests in order to predict GCSE grades- often they are pretty accurate. They certainly give a clear picture of children's strengths and weaknesses, and often show strength in areas (such as non-verbal reasoning) which SATs do not.

Dazmum Fri 11-Sep-09 17:41:59

Thanks tethersend, that's really interesting. Do parents get to know the results?

tethersend Fri 11-Sep-09 21:36:37

You should be able to see the data, although it will probably take a few months to be processed into predicted GCSE grades.

You will probably have to ask to see it though, I don't think it's shared routinely...

Dazmum Sat 12-Sep-09 12:02:23

Thanks, it's such early days though, GCSEs not something to worry about yet! he's just done his first lot of German homework, yet another poster!

mollyroger Sat 12-Sep-09 12:09:51

oh pie - i thought you sounded v familair on other threads
We are fair to crap...thanks for asking !
Nothing has fundamentally changed but dh has to go to Amsterdam next fortnigjht to speak at a major conference with a possible huge cash prize for his new business so....
Been a funny old year!

mollyroger Sat 12-Sep-09 12:12:21

French teacher was most put out that ds had not managed to cover book with sticky back plastic overnight...hands up, how many of you just happen to have it lying round the house??

hatesponge Sat 12-Sep-09 12:13:31

Do all schools do CATs?

No mention of them so far at DS's school, still no homework, and not much done in class either

We have an open evening in a fortnight - if nothing's improved by then am hoping I will get to raise my concerns with the teachers.....

mollyroger Sat 12-Sep-09 12:16:00

hatesponge - they do break them in gently in Yr 7. It is a huge transition for many children.

fircone Sat 12-Sep-09 14:46:25

I did a flying leap in Smith's this morning and grabbed the last roll of sticky stuff. Ds has begged to be allowed to do all his covering tomorrow, as he can't face the stress today.

The roll of sticky stuff came in handy to beat ds with when he refused to spend the Smith's token he'd had for his birthday on a French dictionary. Can't think why he preferred to choose two magazines, a drum of Oreos and a Wispa.

serenity Sat 12-Sep-09 15:23:09

I sent DH to get sticky backed plastic on Friday. We've got a veritable mountain of it in our local Smiths apparently, but it was slightly more expensive than the '20p a sheet' that DS1 was adamant the teacher had said it was...

I have been a bad mother I have to say. I couldn't face DS1 making a hash of covering his books so I did it for him blush

We haven't had much homework either - mainly the book covering, and a couple of small pieces of writing. I'm quite grateful that they're doing it slowly though. To suddenly jump from the holidays to an hour/half every night would be a bit overwhelming.

No CATs here, but the school had an entrance exam which probably did the same thing. They split all the applicants into 5 bands then took an equal amount from each. DS1's tutor group, and therefore all the people he has class with, is all from the same band (which I can guess, but we aren't told)

mum71 Sun 13-Sep-09 00:01:32

My DD started year 7 on Monday. I picked her up (has been catching the bus though since Tues) she was as white as a sheet and dragging her bag on the floor. I told her to "pick it up it's brand new". She said "I can't it's full of books and I have 4 lots of homework". I could barely lift the bag myself. She has had 2-3 lots of homework everyday since. It's been a bit of a surprise as she had absolutely nothing of note in primary school.

I must say that after the initial shock though she has really embraced it. The homework they have set has been lovely and hasn't taken too long.

She loves all her new books and has been showing DS what he has to look forward to. Even teaching us a bit of Spanish! DH and I have been looking at her books with longing, we really want to go back to school!

hatesponge Sun 13-Sep-09 11:38:53

Am feeling a bit better now as have spoken to DS's friends mum (friend goes to one of the 'better' local schools). Their homework this week was to cover their books

Also DS has got into the year 7 football first team - the teacher was really impressed with him & said he showed real flair & strength (this is quite a big deal for DS as he is quite overweight although sporty, and tends to be written off just on appearance even though he is very good at footie). DS is beaming grin & so I'm feeling quite happy with the school at the moment!

fircone Sun 13-Sep-09 12:57:05

Well done to your ds, hatesponge.

I have been covering books like mad. They are very wrinkly. And (I hope ds doesn't notice before he goes to school tomorrow) I managed to snip through the cover of one of his exercise books. I've tried to repair it but it does not look good [fearful emoticon]

moodyblue Sun 13-Sep-09 18:32:00

Can I join in? DS started year 7 last week. Felt compelled to join in after reading through the posts and laughing at the sticky backed plastic experiences!! DS did offer to have a go at doing his himself but my perfectionist tendency reared its head and made me do it myself even though my lack of spatial awareness meant that I probably made more of a hash of it than he would have!!

Have also had the shock of loads of homework and organisational nightmares. He's loving it though which is great grin

mollyroger Sun 13-Sep-09 20:40:38

we are avaragin an hour a night so far shock and this is the 'easy' stuff....

Schoolsec Sun 13-Sep-09 21:13:45

like getting blood out of a stone trying to get DS1 to do homework.Knew I should have booked myself into the Priory for all of Sept..

cuppateaplease Mon 14-Sep-09 09:08:41

Ds has been doing just a little bit of homework each night - not really enough, which is why he had to do quite a bit over the weekend. School recommend that 30mins is needed for each subject - as he is due to get 2 or 3 subjects each night that could be 90 minutes every night! I do feel that sometimes homework is an over rated part of schooling.

We've managed to cover some more books with the stickyback plastic. I always feel you need six arms to get it right. I get Ds to help hold it in place while i try to smooth it accross with a ruler but still manage to get air bubbles. When they're really bad I've been poking the bubbles with a pin and then trying to smooth the air out. mmmmm....... just been thinking there must be a better method than this and remember I've seen plastic covers that go over excercise books and text books - similar to library book covers - must investigate.......

Dazmum Mon 14-Sep-09 11:03:37

cuppateaplease, great idea! just had a look, about 69p each. DH has only been asked to cover one so far....

Mumwhensdinneready Wed 16-Sep-09 19:25:54

3 or 4 subjects of homework a night here.Not too demanding so far, he spends about 45 minutes a night on it.

I always thought DS's primary school gave too much homework. He used to get maths and English every weekend and was expected to spend 2 hours a week on it.
However it has stood him in good stead for year 7 because he's used to doing homework.

Pyrocanthus Wed 16-Sep-09 20:17:52

DD seems to have to write a history of the Middle Ages this week. hmm

Hi all, I have only just found this thread.

DS1 started school on the 7th, he is one of 2 from his primary school. He was the only one until the other mum decided that she wanted her son with ds1 as they could look after eachother hmm.

He is getting on really well except 3 incidents in the first 4 days (she says with a raised eyebrow) first was typical of older students sending him the wrong way for a lesson so he was late, second on his second day someone stole his p.e shorts grrrr, and thirdly on his 4th day he got punched repeatedly by a grp of yr 8 students for standing on a coin they were playing with. He didn't know he had stood on it as he was walking across the playground. I have to say the school have acted on all 3 things so that is good.

My major achievement was to let him go to school alone. And today he has taken himself from home to school, normally I walk him to the bus stop and make sure he gets on the bus.

He has been put in the top set for maths, english and science and already has a merit for french. (sorry not bragging there but just re read it and it looks that way).

Just waiting for a call now to tell me he has got to school ok.....

WhiteElefant Thu 17-Sep-09 10:22:28

So pleased to have found this thread, its good to know we are not the only ones to have had fun with sticky backed plasticsmile
Fortunatly I was at work on Tuesday when DD came home and said that she needed to cover her books, some needing to be done by the next day, she had known about this since previous week but hadnt thought to mention ithmm So DH had to go off to buy some sticky backed plastic and then landed up covering her books for her.
DD is just far too laid back and easily distracted, I think I am going to have to stand over her to make sure she gets her homework done.

Oh yes we had to cover books as well. what joy lol.

Steamroller Thu 17-Sep-09 10:52:15

This is great to be able to compare things on here! Thanks tethersend for information on CATS - why can't the school tell us this angry instead of chancing to find it on MN?! Dd still hasnt had any homework to speak of (just book-covering and the like)and we're getting to the end of Week 3. I've forced her to do something each night though, Spanish vocab or something, and once she starts she gets really into it. She's basically very keen & dying to get stuck in , so I feel it's a shame the school aren't making the most of that (esp as it won't last!).
Snogging teenagers: grin.None of that's been reported by Dd yet. She did see 6th formers smoking in playground, though - I was old-fogey shocked - am I an out of touch old fogey?Is that normal at school?? I guess it's legal if they're over 16, and they're outdoors...

bruffin Thu 17-Sep-09 12:10:26

DD doesn't seem to have had too much homework and only one book covering.

She has thrown herself into school clubs. Been swim club twice this week, round the world club, guitar club, musical theatre and science tomorrow.Unfortunately looks like she has lost her swimming stuff(:

Am a little concerned a bit as she is finding the maths a bit easy and also english. She commented on something being a metaphor and her teacher said "we don't cover that yet" which surprises me as the school as some of the best english results in the country for a comprehensive.

It's early days yet, but i will keep an eye on it.

cuppateaplease Thu 01-Oct-09 10:00:25

How is everyone getting on - have they all settled in yet?

DS has found an afterschool club he likes - computers naturally -he has avoided all attempts to get him into a sporty one!
He's still overawed I think by the sheer scale of everything and still hasn't learnt the names of everyone in his class!
Unfortunately he still hasn't found a 'friend' to be with during break either. sad He's never been good at social skills and isn't sporty - all the boys he does know go off to play football at break. I've spoken to the school and they are aware of it and are looking at ways of helping him. So quite pleased the school are being proactive - more help than we ever got at the primary!

He has started cooking - so far only done cous-cous and managed to cut his thumb chopping the onion! However no cous-cous brought home - apparantly he gave it to the sixth form to eat! This week it's flap jacks so I'm asking for them to come home grin

fircone Thu 01-Oct-09 14:45:53

Hello

BEWARE: I nearly broke a tooth on ds's flapjacks he made last week. I had to be complimentary but I could have retiled the roof with them.

Ds getting along fine until this week. He had a couple of days off sick with an atrocious cold. Then when he went back he forgot his PE kit and got a detention. He was very upset. He could have avoided it by borrowing a games kit, but they don't have spare trainers in his size (2.5 or at a push with some tissue paper, 3) so he has to miss his lunch break today. He was ranting about discrimination against small-footed people when he got home.

bruffin Thu 01-Oct-09 16:31:25

LOL Fircone

DD had the cold this week, she was off monday but was desperate to go to school on tuesday as she missed her friends.

It can take a while for friendships to settle down in Yr 7 Cupateaplease, so don't worry too much yet.

DD isn't doing cooking yet, she is doing woodwork and making a box.

I am feeling a little guilty, I complained about the maths teacher because the class was absolute chaos and no work was being done, so they sent a "strict" teacher in to keep an eye on it. She noticed DD had a bracelet on and it was confiscated (She wore it guides the night before and forgot to take it off) I have to go up there and collect it which at the moment is not possible as I work and it's a train journey away.

cuppateaplease Fri 02-Oct-09 14:37:17

well....the flapjacks were more like a cookie but were actually really nice! mmmm might have to make some more at home now - he only made three!
Looks like they are making cheese scones next week. (I'm guessing as they just get the list of ingredients needed and not told what they are actually making) DS list includes cheese but not how much!
Ds had the cold too - but not too badly, so got sent in to school. Obviously alot of it about - hope everyone over it now
Fircone - sounds abit harsh having detention just because he's got small feet
Bruffin - will they not send the bracelet home with DD as you cannot get there easily?

bruffin Fri 02-Oct-09 22:57:25

I haven't rang the school about the bracelet yetblush I am hoping as it was a first offence they will let her pick it up. It was only a cheap one, but her friend bought it back from holiday for her, so sentimental value.

I am so glad the school doesn't make us buy the ingredients for cookery. We have to pay something like £12 and they supply everything except a box to bring it home in. I was dreading the dcs presenting me with a list on the morning they needed it!

Steamroller Thu 08-Oct-09 15:12:01

Are these things normal at large state high school: kids smoking in toilets, kids smoking in playground, kids using mobiles in toilets, kids swearing loudly at each other (admittedly good-naturedly) in corridors?
Is this all normal and I'm just an out-of-touch old granny?!

bruffin Thu 08-Oct-09 15:56:47

I have never heard of things like that happening in DC's school, Steamroller, but I'm sure it does in others.

My friend is a TA in another school and she says change over time is absolutely madness and she is pinned to the wall. When she has been into our school it is fairly orderly (as it can be for over a 1000 children moving around a school.

marymoocow Mon 17-Mar-14 20:28:07

Just 'found' this thread again. Can't believe our new year 7's are about to take their G.C.S.E's.....hope they all finally settled inwinkgrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now