Competitive north london parents wont recommend an 11+ tutor!

(27 Posts)
naxa Thu 21-Aug-08 13:26:00

I live in Islington and ds goes to a local state school. I would like to get him into a decent secondary (doesnt exist locally!) so I'm planning to send him private (Highgate would be ideal as its near us, but I know there are very few places) so I know I'll have to tutor him.

Yet when I asked some of the other parents at his school if they could recommend a tutor they all clammed up - competition it seems. Is this common, it seems depressing to me?

Any ideas on how I can find a good tutor with experience of getting state kids into north/central london private schools?

Nothingtosay Thu 08-Nov-12 10:17:16

Not in your area and don't have 11+ experience however when looking for an English tutor I was given this advice by a 'fully booked' tutor...

She said there is no harm ringing up another secondary in your area, asking to speak to the school's head of English (or getting their school email address) and asking very politely if there are any staff members willing to tutor. I suppose you could also deliver a hand delivered note.

She said the benefit was that they would likely knowledgable of same exam boards, Council protocols etc

bengalcat Sat 17-Nov-12 17:08:04

Miserable bunch aren't they not sharing tutors names etc .Maybe I'm weird but if I had found a good tutor I'd share that information .

You need two things to do well in an exam ..... knowledge of the subject you're sitting ( and the ability to apply that knowledge and rules ) and practice ie an awareness of type of questions asked and the ability to answer all / most of them in the required time . These are in my opinion the two key areas a tutor can provide an advantage where a primary school may not and hopefully as we're only talking about 11 year old maths here you can do that yourself .

So ask for past papers ( often on their website ) for the school/s you are interested in so you've an idea of the level and type of question he needs to be aiming for . Try printing off two papers for Maths and having a race with your kid . Good luck .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now