RGS Newcastle

(42 Posts)
Minniemoos Sun 30-Mar-08 14:41:19

DD is currently at an independent girls school and is thoroughly miserable there...imagine the movie "Mean Girls" but without the happy ending!I couldn't move her earler (she's now in Yr 7)because it was physically impossible to get her to Newcastle (my prefered choice)but I've since moved house and although it would be a bit of a trek, I could probably get her to Newcastle now.Does anybody have kids, particularly girls, at the RGS in Newcastle?I'd love to hear how they're finding it there.

Bethtinne Sun 20-Apr-08 12:43:42

Hi
I have just joined Mumsnet and you are my first contact!!
My own DD is in year 7 so I have looked at the schools in Newcastle.
Sadly I don't know anything about RGS but from chat to others and experience with eldest DD,a v popular and good school is Dame Allans(mixed). Many pupils from my middle dd's school( v good RC primary) went there. Others went to Westfield (girls only). My eldest went there and did very well and was very happy. La Sagesse has just closed and Central(girls only) has a reputation for academic excellence but is known as a hot house.
My choice would have been DA but DD failed the entrance exam!
Her father took me to court to prevent me sending her to Westfield so she has been forced to attend the RC High school where she is deeply unhappy in the lowest tier!
I am going to put a post on the board to try to get some feedback on our poaition later.
Hope this helps!

Minniemoos Sun 04-May-08 09:55:46

Thanks for the post - I'm a newbie here too!Is DD any happier at school? Mine's not if it's any consolation Have discovered there's a bus to Dame Allans that picks up from our nearest village.Travelling to and from school is a big issue for us because of where we live - right on the border between Co. Durham and Northumberland.DD has been at school in Durham since nursery as up until last year we lived much nearer Durham.She now gets the bus to school - which incidentally now picks her up from the same spot the DA bus picks up!No way would I have moved this far out if the bus hadn't come this way!!to be honest DA wasn't a school I'd considered because I've been having serious 2nd thoughts about single sex education.I'd always been in favour of it but the girls just seem to be getting bitchier.I can't decide if it's just DDs school or are all girl's schools going to be like that? She's very clever so academically she'll be fine at any school but she's very quiet, into her reading, music and animals (we keep unusual breeds of animals on the farm here as a hobby).All of that is branded "weird" by the other girls.Grrr angry.Her Dad reckons it'll just be the same at any other school.I'm losing sleep over the whole thing!!
I don't suppose any of this helps your dilemma but sometimes it helps to know there's someone in the same boat as yourself

popsycal Sun 04-May-08 10:00:55

DOn't know much about it but it does have a good reputation
It is the first private school that comes to mind if I think about private schools in Newcastle

Minniemoos Sun 04-May-08 10:52:27

Just realised - I posted a similar query on the "education" section and I did ask about DA school.Typical of me - posted then checked and found out the boys and girls are taught separately so crossed if off my list!blushThe little I now know about it has all been v positive so maybe it's time for a rethink.Gonna get to the bus stop a bit earlier next week and "pounch" on the parents waiting there to quiz them.shockPoor buggers, they'll think I'm the village loony and I'll end up with a restraining order slapped on me!!

Bethtinne Wed 07-May-08 13:21:10

Hi
I am going to try and contact you off list (using mumsnet) about DD's problem-thanks for your kind thoughts!) but in the mean time about schools-Dame A is unusual in that boys and girls are taught sep. for most academic subjects but are taught together for some and lots of the vocational stuff. They are on the same site and are all together when not in class. DA's is the school that my son wants to attend sadly DD failed the exam!!

Minniemoos Wed 07-May-08 16:47:48

Apparently, if you change the options in your email setting so you can accept messages from other people then I'll be able to send you my email address.It'll be free for you!!

jicky Wed 07-May-08 17:10:34

My niece moved from Central High to RGS for sixth form and was much happier there I think. Think nephew was bullied at RGS a few years earlier. dh went years ago and seems quite normal.grin

Bethtinne Thu 08-May-08 20:02:30

Hi
Am trying to get settings changed so I can get in touch!!! am rubbish and failing so far!!

Mam1 Mon 12-May-08 10:17:00

Hi

My daughter is in year 5 in RGS junior school and is the happiest little girl since moving from her previous primary school.
I also have a son in RGS Senior school who is very happy.

May I add that the teachers and staff are very approachable at the RGS. I would recommend

Minniemoos Tue 13-May-08 18:07:06

Thanks for all the posts. DD a tiny bit happier at school and I know how up and down Yr7 can be but we're still going to look at other schools in Newcastle.Unless we choose DA, transport will be a problem - doing the school run myself would involve HOURS of driving.Nearest train station is Stocksfield so one school mentioned the possibility of finding an older "buddy" to chaperone her on the journey.The other alternative is to find someone to lift share with or who drives into Newcastle every day.Not as easy as it sounds, living in the middle of nowhere as I do.hmm.In search of this elusive lift share I've had to start networking and have joined the village WI!shockBloody hell, the things we do for our kids........Well at least I now know how to make jam smile

Loshad Thu 15-May-08 12:07:22

I used to go to your daughter's school minniemoos, and loved it there and there was a great atmosphere, but have several reports of bullying there in recent years - sad would not have been tolerated in any way when my dsis's and I were there (my dear mother's theory is the size increase and push for better exam results has seen pastoral side slip).
RGS is a very good school, know a couple of the teachers there. New uniform thing a bit odd imo - changing balzers/colur every other year nearly but that's a side issue.
DA not as good academically RGS, though head has good reports.
Advantage of RGs is it's proximity to tube station, and although your dd may be too young for that now, you could always keep her at current school say until end of Y8, then move her and she could train it in by herslef.

Minniemoos Thu 15-May-08 18:16:02

I agree with your mother!It was a lovely school when she started but it just seemed to get bigger and bigger.Seem to be new girls starting all the time - curious to know if they've ever said that they were "full" to a potential new pupil? Are your kids at school in Durham too? It's interesting you've heard of the bullying there - there's definitely not the "family" atmosphere there that they like to promote.We've talked about maybe staying for another year or so and then moving - like you say, she could get the train herself then and maybe there would be other new starters from prep schools.In the perfect world, there would be some similarly aged boys or girls living locally who are already there that she could meet in the meantime.God, I'd better keep going with the WI then.Any other ideas Loshad? They'll be gratefully received grin !!

Loshad Thu 15-May-08 22:52:42

No I live in North Yorks now, and mine are all boys anyway. But i've heard from several sources about the bullying, including two children of friends (one an old girl) who removed their dd's because of it!
Will keep thinking hat on, but your choices are somewhat limited due to your location - Newc or Durham really. Bet there are some other children nearby lurking in the woods - we live 20 miles form the dss' school and there are another 4 families in our village whose dc's also go to their school. Keep going with the Jam grin

Zazette Thu 15-May-08 23:52:57

Are you hellbent on private? the comp in Hexham is supposed to be very good, and not far by train from Stocksfield.

tortoiseSHELL Thu 15-May-08 23:58:08

Ooh Minniemoos and Loshad - I wonder if that is the school I went to (and YorkieGirl as well?). Are the girls very green????

Loshad Fri 16-May-08 13:01:49

They are indeed Tortoiseshell, go on, tell me your age to see if we crossed over - i'll go first shall i - 43, dsiss' who were there are 45 and 41.

tortoiseSHELL Fri 16-May-08 13:42:03

Oh, I was after you then, I'm 31. But I bet some of the teachers were the same!

tortoiseSHELL Fri 16-May-08 13:43:40

Minniemoos - have you thought about Durham School? It's a very different sort of school, but worth looking at (I went there for sixth form, and my mum teaches there).

Loshad Fri 16-May-08 22:35:18

Is DS any better minniemoos - had a dreadful rep back in the old days (my step brothers both went there). Bet lots of teachers were the same - my fav was Mrs Roberts - geog

tortoiseSHELL Sat 17-May-08 10:54:22

DS is very very different now - but it's a particular 'type' of school, you need to look at it and see if you like the ethos. I loved it for sixth form, made some fab friends, and the teaching is every so much better than it was I think.

Mrs Roberts was fab! How about Dr Wilkinson (english) Or Miss Mair (german) Or Mrs Jones (history).

Minniemoos Sat 17-May-08 11:38:45

DS wasn't really ever on my list of alternatives for DD simply because of the logistics of getting her there.God I sound like a crap mother blush but there isn't a bus or train from out here to get her there and the drive is even worse then the drive to Newcastle.My old neighbours moved house away from here and nearer Durham as their sons were at DS and the daily travelling was impossible.Sounds like you had a great time there tortoiseshell smile- how would you describe the ethos of the place as opposed to DDs current school?

tortoiseSHELL Sat 17-May-08 12:10:58

Well, my experiences which are obviously out of date and personal were that your dd's school is very academically based, and I didn't feel that it helped you develop as an individual. Having said that, the teaching there is excellent, but looking back I wonder if there was too much emphasis on results rather than happiness. If you want to CAT me I can give you a few more thoughts that I don't want to put on here!

DS - well, it is a totally different school - because it is a boarding and day school, the day is longer, so there is more time for extra things. There is a big emphasis on sport, and a huge number of sports on offer, there are lots of different musical opportunities - just about whatever you're interested, lots of drama etc. It is different to your dd's school I think because of the house system - they are physical houses, so there are smaller communities within the bigger school community, and lots of things happen as part of the house system. This also gives the benefit of both single sex and mixed education - the houses are single sex but the classes are mixed for lots of things.

The current head is retiring at the end of this year, but he has moved the school to being more academic than it was (though it is still not particularly selective). It wasn't as focussed on academia when I was there, but I still managed to get 5 good A Levels (I did Music, Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Gen Studies and got AACBA in that order, so was absolutely fine). But I think that is a bit more important now! Again CAT me and I can give you a few more thoughts.

I don't know much about the Newcastle schools - my cousins went to RGS and Central High, and my dad went to RGS, but that is obviously a while ago, and was before it was mixed.

tortoiseSHELL Sat 17-May-08 12:12:50

The bus she gets - is that a school bus or a public bus? DS isn't hard to get to from the centre of town - just up a hill!

tortoiseSHELL Sat 17-May-08 12:14:13

One thing DS used to do which they don't now is keep highland cattle up by the chapel! There used to be a very hard core of people who would get up early or come in early to do 'cows'.! grin

Loshad Sat 17-May-08 20:24:19

sorry to hear about the cows - they were big in my day [old fart emoticon]
Dr wilkinson was there, i stayed at her house one night before a debating competiton because my parents were away (bizarre or waht) - the other two didn't teach there when i was there

tortoiseSHELL Sat 17-May-08 22:32:18

She was fantastic! Who was head in your time? We had Miss Stephenson.

tortoiseSHELL Sat 17-May-08 22:33:49

I remember being in SERIOUS trouble, because, do you remember where the head's office was, looking out over the playground? Well, it had snowed, and 2 friends and I were not walking along the cleared path, we were making footprints...we heard a tapping on the glass, and a voice saying 'Girls, Girls, you are walking in all the snow...' and then her voice was filled with sadness as she looked down and said sorrowfully 'and girls - you are wearing your indoor shoes...'

grin

dutchmam Sun 18-May-08 09:00:07

Found this thread and read it with interest, as my DS will be starting DS prep school (B) in September. I liked DS looking round, although it will be many years before DS is secondary school age.
MInniemoos, I thought the transport to the Durham schools was all combined, so a bus taking kids to DHS would also pass DS?
Two nephews of mine are at RGS, they both love it and would recommend it.

Minniemoos Sun 18-May-08 11:35:20

No dutchmam, the bus is only for DHS.I've got a friend with a DD at B btw and she is thriving there!You'll be sad to hear tortoiseshell and Loshad that apparently the green uniform is going!shock It's going to be navy blazer and checked pleated skirt....allegedly.Haven't had a letter home confirming this yet so poor DD is seeing the term out with her now rather 3/4 sleeved blazer blush.Just watch, the day DD gets kitted out with the new uniform (it'll be new gym kit, the lot I bet!)will be the day I get a knock on the door from a new neighbour wanting to lift share to Newcastle.grin.

Loshad Sun 18-May-08 14:38:12

Will be really sad that no more greenflies will grace the local buses.
Miss salter was head ofr most of the time, then Miss Stephenson for a bit (my mum was chair of the pta then i think) and she had to share Miss Stephenson's table at some school dance - said Miss s was the most boring person she'd ever met shock
when did DS buy B - don't tell me it was years and years ago!

tortoiseSHELL Sun 18-May-08 18:14:42

That is sad about the green uniform - much as I hated it! I think the green gaberdine was the worst, and the green science overalls. Or perhaps the brown socks...

Are you definitely going to move your dd minniemoos?

tortoiseSHELL Sun 18-May-08 18:16:05

One of the most hilarious lessons we had was 'Dress' - in Year 11 - because the sixth form didn't wear uniform, so I think they were terrified everyone would turn up in massively unsuitable clothes...

It was fantastically funny, the teacher basically went through all the class saying 'this would suit you, you should wear your hair like this, and please girls, remember to shave your legs...'

Minniemoos Sun 18-May-08 21:06:34

Wonder if they still do the 'Dress' class? The withering looks alone from Year 11s these days would be enough to floor a 20 stone grown man.hmmI pity the teacher who has to enforce the ban on fake tan....shock.It's not definite that DD is going to move.Academically, she's doing extremely well and never complains about the amount of homework they get etc.In fact, she'll complain to me about any teachers who she thinks don't teach very well or allow too much noise in the classroom.shockYeah, I know...if I hadn't been present there at the birth I'd swear she wasn't related to me!!It's the pastoral side that is my main concern.We'll go to open days for other schools next term and take it from there.

Minniemoos Sun 18-May-08 21:10:17

Oh I should have mentioned the brown socks went a long time ago.As did the hideous scratchy winter coats in Junior House.They've been replaced by quite nice ( I think) duffle coats.Of course I'd have to sedate DD these days to get her into a duffle coat..............hmm

tortoiseSHELL Sun 18-May-08 21:15:07

Minniemoos - do you have CAT? If so, CAT me, or I could CAT you....there is more I want to say!

ecochica Tue 12-May-09 11:06:41

Very old converstaion now but have just sen this. My daughter is in Year 5 and is really happy at RGS. If your DD is a doer then this is the place for her. The girls are in a minority (2/3 boys 1/3 girls) but what I have noticed is how supportive the girls are of each other and how they stick together.

When I see the problems friends are having with cattiness and bullying at the single sex girls schools i know I made the right decision.

ClapTrap Mon 17-Oct-11 22:52:24

Ok, so now we are nearly four years down the line....has this particular green girl's school changed? We're currently thinking about sending our DD (3.5) there next September, but worried after reading this...

Loshad Wed 19-Oct-11 22:37:26

leave it with me claptrap - wrinklies still live in area and know some dgc who go so will ferret out info over half term and return!

mumconcern Sun 30-Oct-11 19:02:09

I want to put my son in RGS Newcastle in sept 20111 year 3 entry.I heard it is pretty tough to get through the assessment .Does anybody know anything abbot it and how to prepare for it ?

Magpielover Wed 04-Jan-12 14:05:32

Just been reading all these posts and have to speak up for Central in Newcastle. My daughter was at school in Durham - Durham High - but hated it. has moved to Central and loves oit. Very friendly and welcoming. Excellent results but not a hothouse. I wouyld recommend anyone with a daughter to visit - you'll love it smile smile - best investment you can make smile

walkies123456789 Wed 16-Jan-13 23:35:36

I have just read these comments. I knew a girl who goes to Central and it's very clicky there and you would have to be there since junior house otherwise you wont get along. It takes around 3 years to make friends, and you dont feel comfortable there. On the other Dame allans is a very friendly school, with great GCSE results and the boys and girls are separated in classes. But for Minniemoos as you daughter is educational, you should take her to RGS as they don't mind if you clever there or anything like that. Westfield is a brilliant school, with such a good atmosphere. As one of my daughters go there and she loves it. But the results arent as high as RGS or DA, Dame allans is a great school I would recommend either Dame allans, westfield or RGS. It matter what your girl is like

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now