Portland Place School

(7 Posts)
steinermum Wed 07-Mar-07 19:46:03

Does anyone have opinions about Portland Place School or other co-ed independents accessible from Islington or City of London and offering 13+ entry. All info. will be gratefully and voraciously received ..

frogs Thu 08-Mar-07 18:05:22

Portland place has a reputation for taking kids who fluffed the 11+/13+ entry to the more academic schools.

Alternatively, depending on your viewpoint, it is a gentler, more humane alternative to the pushy North/Central London academic hothouses.

North Bridge House have an 11+ entry to their Senior School, which is also a route mainly taken by people who don't like the full-on academic vibe.

Horses for courses, really.

steinermum Thu 08-Mar-07 19:50:47

Thanks, that's really helpful

Jimjams2 Thu 08-Mar-07 19:56:55

i used to work for a school in the same group as Portland Place. I know of (rather than personally) the head- and understand that he's a decent sort.

steinermum Thu 08-Mar-07 20:27:10

I met him on a school tour, he seemed nice. He used to work at City of London School for Girls and said it was a very 'particular' environment
i.e. single sex, top % of brainboxes - I got the impression he was still slightly traumatised by the experience!!

summertimes Sun 17-Apr-16 23:38:06

I have a boy at Portland Place.
It's now getting a lot more difficult to get into.
It's a lovely nurturing school with small class sizes - but it's also dynamic and forward thinking. I think it's one of London's best kept secrets.

BizzyBuzz Tue 07-Jun-16 14:55:20

A while back I saw some Portland Place students out and about collecting data for a class. They seemed really happy and engaged. In the past, Portland Place had the reputation of not being selective. However, I know from speaking with friends that this is definitely changing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now