Y12 v. Unhappy. How realistic is it to change 6th forms now?

(9 Posts)
Meatycankles Tue 01-Nov-16 16:37:34

That's it really. DC is in year 12, doing very well academically but hasn't made any friends and doesn't realistically think that will improve sad
He's quite lonely and there doesn't seem to be any clubs or societies he can get involved in. A lot of promised things have failed to materialise tbh.
He is half a term in, could he move now without too much impact, or should he stick it out?

chocolateworshipper Tue 01-Nov-16 17:00:59

I would think it's worth looking into if he is that unhappy. I would be asking whether other colleges do the same courses with the same exam boards, whether they are doing the course content in the same order (so he isn't missing out on material). If he is doing courses where coursework counts toward a final grade (e.g. BTEC) then of course you would want to check that the coursework he's already done would count. You could also talk to his current tutor and ask him/her for ideas on how to help your son

Mary21 Tue 01-Nov-16 17:03:09

No idea. It might be worth making a few phone calls so you know for sure.
If they move now friendship groups will already be forming in sixth form. Have you spoke to his tutor.
Does he have a social like outside sixth form. Bearing in mind academically he is doing ok.

cricketballs Tue 01-Nov-16 17:11:40

The census date passed on 1st October therefore new college/6th form can't claim the funding for any new student. But as the funding for the current yr12s doesn't come through till next year there is a chance, but very slim

noblegiraffe Tue 01-Nov-16 17:12:31

They've already done the sixth form census, so I think any student starting now wouldn't get any government funding.

Meatycankles Tue 01-Nov-16 17:14:00

Thanks for your advice, what about independent school 6th forms?
I'm prepared to look at that option if necessary.

noblegiraffe Tue 01-Nov-16 17:38:30

You could phone them but I think they'd be pretty wary of taking someone this late - there really will be an awful lot of work to catch up on as even if doing the same exam boards they are likely to have taught content in a different order.

Coconutty Tue 01-Nov-16 17:41:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Meatycankles Tue 01-Nov-16 22:27:31

So it looks like our options are for him to stay put, or to move him to a private 6th form sooner rather than later.
I'm going to contact a few tomorrow to see whether they offer his a level choices. And what their fees are sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now