Colston girls...any chance?

(12 Posts)
schoolnut123 Thu 20-Oct-16 20:58:51

So we have made an in year application at Colston girls. They've only asked for last school report. Not been asked to do any test and won't give info about waiting lists. We have been told that name will be added to waiting list as no vacancies so we need to wait to be contacted. is this normal practise for this particular school?

AtiaoftheJulii Thu 20-Oct-16 21:05:34

It sounds like it from reading their in-year admissions page on their website, with which I'm sure you're familiar! Do you think they're not following their protocol?

schoolnut123 Thu 20-Oct-16 21:10:47

No idea. I've heard in the past it's very difficult to get into. Looking for an in year place so put an application form in along with last school report as requested. Didn't hear anything for a few weeks so chased up but they won't say what their waiting list is like. I was told that if and when space becomes available they will be in touch. child not been asked to sit test or anything - didn't know if this was the norm for an in year application for an academy school?

Shurelyshomemistake Thu 20-Oct-16 21:12:29

It's normal practice for all schools that don't have places. If you get a formal application in and have it formally refused then you can appeal.

Why have they asked for a report from the previous school? They can't make any decisions on the basis of that... if your DD is first on the list when a place comes up then the place is hers. There's no conditionality... providing this is a non-selective.

They should also provide info on where you are on wait list. Admissions processes must be clear, fair and transparent.

Shurelyshomemistake Thu 20-Oct-16 21:16:39

It's really not good enough to say they won't provide info on waiting lists. If they keep one they shouldctell you where you are on it.

Re it being hard to get a place ... few places may come up, but if you're the only (or highest priority) applicant and there is a space then that place goes to you. There's no canny manouvering or making your case needed .... unless you are appealing which you are entitled to do if you've been turned down.

schoolnut123 Thu 20-Oct-16 21:27:00

Their website says you need to apply for a year 7 place via LA but for an in year place (year 8) you apply directly to the school. Did this and sent in last school report as they requested it. ive only been told recently that name is on their waiting list but only when I chased it up. No idea how long this list is, could be hundreds of girls on there and we would never know! They say any spaces are filled by random allocation. Anyone else tried getting into this school?

3asAbird Fri 21-Oct-16 09:33:10

I think even in year waitlists are random allocation so they can't tell you what number place you are on the waitlist as when space comes up all names on waitlist are random allocation lottery draw.
All they will know is how many girls on waitlist.
Also children in care and sen take priorities.
I know someone who failed to get it year 7 remained on waitlist for 3 years nothing came up.
They gave a small 140 intake not sure how many kids actually leave it's highly sought after and one of most oversubscribed schools in bristol.
It's also only state girls provision.
Haysfeild girls school in bath may have spaces
Only other all girls provision now is redmaids private.

Have you moved to area.
Or just want move school's
Definatly add your name to othet waitlists .
Cathdral is even more oversubscribed and random allocation .
Maybe consider st mary redcliffe /Redland green or cotham.

mouldycheesefan Fri 21-Oct-16 09:37:18

There is badminton as well as red maids but again private.

EwanWhosearmy Fri 21-Oct-16 12:42:36

is this normal practise for this particular school?

Have you just moved to Bristol? Colston Girls is one of the most oversubscribed in the area and only admits by lottery. I would be surprised if they ever had any places come up, it's so oversubscribed. Why would you expect to get in in-year?

EwanWhosearmy Fri 21-Oct-16 12:52:45

Ah, I've just read your other thread.

TBH you aren't being very realistic in your choice of schools. Did you really think you could just expect to get a place at highly sought after state schools in-year when you aren't even in catchment, over and above the children who live there?

There are lots of other private schools around Bristol. Have you tried them?

schoolnut123 Fri 21-Oct-16 13:05:03

Thanks all. Looking to move schools. Have put name on waiting list for redland green and cotham although both over subscribed. Colston girls was first choice but obviously a long shot!

jo164 Fri 21-Oct-16 22:27:20

I've no idea how they organise their waiting list, but the school operates a banded entry system, where all prospective year 7's sit an entrance exam which places them in an academic band. Equal numbers are then lottery picked from the bands. Maybe their reluctance to tell you position on the list is down to it depending which band she may fall into? Only guessing though. I shouldn't think in year placed come up too often though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now