Getting into oversubscribed boarding schools

(4 Posts)
alexddr Thu 20-Oct-16 13:14:23

Hello, I have my DS registered at Marlborough, Charterhouse and King's Canterbury for 13+ in September 2018. My question is, just how oversubscribed are Marlborough and Charterhouse and does an academically average child have a chance of getting in... if he has other strong points?

My DS is already at a boarding prep school and loving it and speaks fluent Spanish, French and English (Spanish mother, French father + also used to speak Mandarin as we lived in Shanghai five yeas). He is a good boarder, loves sport, plays guitar, and is very good at art (his teacher would like to put him forward for an art scholarship).

The Head of our prep school has approved these schools for us but admits Marlborough and Charterhouse might be a bit of a challenge... DS only joined the English school system in Year 6 so it is difficult to know what his CE marks will be like in two years... we are hoping for a 55/ 60% average. What I would like to know is whether these schools are looking at academic results first or whether other qualities can make up for average marks.

While I'm here, I would also be interested in knowing which back up schools people recommend, along the lines of Marlborough and Charterhouse, and
other than King's Canterbury which is my old school.

Thank you!

sendsummer Thu 20-Oct-16 16:50:07

alexddr sounds as though your DS is doing very well and has a real strength with his languages especially if his reading and writing skills in theseare also strong. I would arrange a private visit to M and Ch and explain the situation to the admissions tutor to gauge their reaction. I know that both schools have admitted bright dyslexic pupils for example so they will be looking at the whole picture.
If you want schools with a good proportion of full boarders and that are often used as back-ups, St Edwards and lCheltenham College are options. . Mainly weekly boarding back-up options would include Bradfield and Bryanston.

alexddr Thu 20-Oct-16 17:31:53

Thank you for your kind message and advice sendsummer, I am going to look into St Edwards and Bradfield... just in case! (both full boarding and weekly boarding are options).

SisterViktorine Thu 20-Oct-16 17:37:04

Sherborne would be a good back up- or even a good first choice!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now